cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card limits when filling up the tank

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the RV scene for a while but now that we have a new MH I remembered something about credit card limits at the gas pumps. Assuming those restrictions are still in place, are they controlled by the credit card issuer or by the gas station? Is there a way to get around the limits? I hate using a credit card, but I also hate the idea of carrying enough cash to fill the MH multiple times.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
61 REPLIES 61

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
supermod38 wrote:
dbbls wrote:
I think the limits are set by the store. I ask the store one time and was told the credit card company set the limit. I then call the card company and they said the store. If the card company set them it would apply to all stations. I am incline to believe the store set them.

the credit limit IS set by the owner, however the limit comes from the card supplier.! the limit is the amount the card company will reimburse the owner for. if the owner sets a higher limit it is on his dime.

i owned my own gas station and store so you are getting this info from the horses mouth.

OK, but crossing the US a couple of times, we found that we could use the same Discover Card at least two times at the pump before being cut off and having to use another, or having to go inside the store and for whatever difference that made for the owner getting reimbursed. I guess, they just go for it, when they can see that it's something with a huge gas tank.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

supermod38
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
I think the limits are set by the store. I ask the store one time and was told the credit card company set the limit. I then call the card company and they said the store. If the card company set them it would apply to all stations. I am incline to believe the store set them.

the credit limit IS set by the owner, however the limit comes from the card supplier.! the limit is the amount the card company will reimburse the owner for. if the owner sets a higher limit it is on his dime.

i owned my own gas station and store so you are getting this info from the horses mouth.
Not here for a long time, just a*GOOD* time;)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobGed wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
In any event, one of the easiest solutions to this is a commercial fueling account. I have the Pacific Pride Account through the place up in Washington. It lets me pump as much diesel fuel as I need. And they have gas too. The stations are generally unattended and generally not crowded at all so you don't have a line waiting for you to finish pumping 100 gallons. Of course you have to plan your fueling stops for where they are located, but that hasn't been a problem for me with Pacific Pride.

The franchisee is Pioneer Fuel Pacific Pride locations are generally higher priced than anyone in the area including PFJ, but they are very convenient if and when you need them. I used them on a coastal trip from California to Oregon. In many locations all of the regular stations were lined up, and the Pacific Pride location was wide open.

I have noticed they are a little higher price and there is the problem of not knowing the price until you get the bill, but in my area they higher price has never been more then a few pennies. I'm using only getting about 75 gallons when I fill up so the few extra bucks is worth it to me.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
When you think about these limits, most of them are kind of dumb because you can swipe the same card multiple times. What's the purpose in a limit if you can just keeping swiping the same card? I have never been asked to use a different card or had the card shut down. Just swipe it three or four times and it just keeps going. If I was using a stolen card what would have been saved by having a limit versus swiping in four times?

There's actually a big difference to the station owner. The card issuer sets a limit on how much they will reimburse the station when a fraudulent transaction takes place at the pump. The station owners typically set the card per swipe limit to that same amount. Since they are reimbursed on a per transaction basis, if a bad card is swiped three times because of a $75 limit on a $225 total sale, they get fully reimbursed the $225 in fraudulent charges at $75 per transaction. If the same card was allowed to only swipe once for that $225 sale, they would only be reimbursed $75 for the one transaction. and the remaining $150 would come out of their pocket.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Reason for setting limits on "at the pump" purchases.
If you go to Walmart and make a $200 purchase, Walmart will get a $200 approval from the credit card company, all is well. When you make a fuel purchase at the pump, the credit card company does not know the amount of your purchase until after you have completed the purchase, so they approve you for the largest amount most people buy ($75 or $100). The approved amount results in a conditional hold against your credit card limit. If the conditional hold was $500, and you only purchased $10 in fuel (motorcycle purchase) 3 or 4 times in one day, the $500 conditional approvals would quickly eat up a large credit card limit.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
In any event, one of the easiest solutions to this is a commercial fueling account. I have the Pacific Pride Account through the place up in Washington. It lets me pump as much diesel fuel as I need. And they have gas too. The stations are generally unattended and generally not crowded at all so you don't have a line waiting for you to finish pumping 100 gallons. Of course you have to plan your fueling stops for where they are located, but that hasn't been a problem for me with Pacific Pride.

The franchisee is Pioneer Fuel Pacific Pride locations are generally higher priced than anyone in the area including PFJ, but they are very convenient if and when you need them. I used them on a coastal trip from California to Oregon. In many locations all of the regular stations were lined up, and the Pacific Pride location was wide open.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pilot Rv plus card. We have a 150 gallon tank. I just pull into either a Pilot of FlyinJ and fill up. I get 6 cents off the cash price for diesel. I get an email so many days ahead before they deduct the total amount for that billing cycle. We have the automatic payment which gives us a 2500 dollar limit. If I hit the limit I can also go into the site and pay what I have used so far and it rests so I have the whole amount available again.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you think about these limits, most of them are kind of dumb because you can swipe the same card multiple times. What's the purpose in a limit if you can just keeping swiping the same card? I have never been asked to use a different card or had the card shut down. Just swipe it three or four times and it just keeps going. If I was using a stolen card what would have been saved by having a limit versus swiping in four times?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Issue with the RVPlus card is they are overwhelmed by the response. I applied for and was approved almost 60 days ago and am still waiting for the card. Phone call confirmed they are back logged on getting the cards out...that said, they've sent me two bills already with zero balances....:S......Dennis

I've had my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Charge Card for a few months now, but haven't had a chance to use it. It's got a $1000 limit and I'm supposed to get a 6 cent per gallon discount. Headed down to New Bern NC this week-end and plan to use it for the first time on that trip.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
I've been out of the RV scene for a while but now that we have a new MH I remembered something about credit card limits at the gas pumps. Assuming those restrictions are still in place, are they controlled by the credit card issuer or by the gas station? Is there a way to get around the limits? I hate using a credit card, but I also hate the idea of carrying enough cash to fill the MH multiple times.

It appears to be the stations, as some cut off at $75, some at $100 and some never. All with the same Discover card and with the cash back savings, along with in store lines for waiting, we wouldn't think of using cash for this purpose. Just be sure to carry more than one card and not from the same company, in case you have to cancel one, while on the road or use the other, if the tank cuts you off and you don't want to go inside to deal with the cashier. We were gone for 3.5 months this past summer and had a card hacked in CA. A new one was sent to our home address, but that's not so convenient when you're not there.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Issue with the RVPlus card is they are overwhelmed by the response. I applied for and was approved almost 60 days ago and am still waiting for the card. Phone call confirmed they are back logged on getting the cards out...that said, they've sent me two bills already with zero balances....:S......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer paying in cash. Don't have to worry about card theft that way.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
kokopelli40 wrote:
@mtrumpet. you need the RV Plus card from Pilot/Flyingj/GoodSam. Never have to swipe more than once.
But we use to be able to start the pump with our Rewards Card. Flying J lost my business when they did away with that! I'll go across the street when I don't have to wait in line thanks. Fuel is the same and price is lower across the street.

Right Pat. That's why I initially referred to my Flying J Rewards. As it stands now, it's almost as if the Flying J Rewards Card is pretty much useless aside from a couple of cents off per gallon.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ezgoin wrote:
, are they controlled by the credit card issuer or by the gas station?
Station.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
kokopelli40 wrote:
@mtrumpet. you need the RV Plus card from Pilot/Flyingj/GoodSam. Never have to swipe more than once.
But we use to be able to start the pump with our Rewards Card. Flying J lost my business when they did away with that! I'll go across the street when I don't have to wait in line thanks. Fuel is the same and price is lower across the street.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”