cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card limits when filling up the tank

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the RV scene for a while but now that we have a new MH I remembered something about credit card limits at the gas pumps. Assuming those restrictions are still in place, are they controlled by the credit card issuer or by the gas station? Is there a way to get around the limits? I hate using a credit card, but I also hate the idea of carrying enough cash to fill the MH multiple times.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
61 REPLIES 61

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
LaTriker wrote:
Reason for setting limits on "at the pump" purchases.
If you go to Walmart and make a $200 purchase, Walmart will get a $200 approval from the credit card company, all is well. When you make a fuel purchase at the pump, the credit card company does not know the amount of your purchase until after you have completed the purchase, so they approve you for the largest amount most people buy ($75 or $100). The approved amount results in a conditional hold against your credit card limit. If the conditional hold was $500, and you only purchased $10 in fuel (motorcycle purchase) 3 or 4 times in one day, the $500 conditional approvals would quickly eat up a large credit card limit.

This makes total sense.

When you use you cc it goes thru 3 different hands. The merchant, the processing company (the consumer never sees) and then the cc issuer (the one who gives you the bill in the mail). Based on what I have read in these threads the limit is set by the processing company. The merchant gets to choose who they use for processing. Limits can be different for visa, mc, Amex or discover at each location.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
crasster wrote:
With the class A, swipe two cards..
I swipe the same card over and over until I'm full. You don't need to use a different card.

That can be a trigger for getting the card shut down by the issuer if not told before hand. Especially is the normal use is in one state and all of a sudden 3 or 4 swipes in another. I learned to call the issuer before heading out when I was still land locked.
I always call my cc issuers and tell them where and how I'm going and how long we will be gone. And if they shut my card down, it is just a phone call away to get them to turn it back on. And yes, even when I inform them ahead of time, it still happens. And because of the stations middle guy, I still have to swipe over and over again. And I try to stop places where I can swipe at the pumps because I use my PenFed card for fuel!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:
I prefer paying in cash. Don't have to worry about card theft that way.
:E Credit card theft, I only have to worry about losing $50, but with cash theft - its gone, and on a 5000 mile trip that is a lot of cash to be gone:E!!!

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
crasster wrote:
I swipe the same card over and over until I'm full. You don't need to use a different card.

That can be a trigger for getting the card shut down by the issuer if not told before hand. Especially is the normal use is in one state and all of a sudden 3 or 4 swipes in another. I learned to call the issuer before heading out when I was still land locked.

my996duc1
Explorer
Explorer
I used my Amex at the local Shell station and swiped it twice to fill up.... NOW my Amex will no longer work at any of the local Shell stations. It tells me to contact the card issuer. The Shell clerk tells me the card is no good and to contact the issuer. I've called AMEX numerous times and they don't show it as being denied by Shell so the card is being stopped by Shell even though they claim it isn't. Cards works fine every where else so I doubt it is an issue with the card. I can use my wife's Amex card at the Shell but even though it is linked to the same account it has it's own card number.

I am going to have to get a new card to fix the problem.

I am cautious about swiping a card twice now.

_
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:
Limit has got to be set by the gas station. I hit different ceilings at different stations.

I have a station I frequent all the time.

At that station, if I use my Visa, I can get $75 worth.... If I use my AMEX, I can get $100 worth.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
crasster wrote:

Many stations have limits on # of swipes. I usually use my credit union debit card. I've swiped 3 times at some stations, limited to 2 times at others, and 1 swipe at a few.

All with the same card.

I also carry a regular credit card, and have experienced the same thing with that.

Worst case, with 2 cards limited to 1 swipe each, I can get a minimum of 40gals of gas, which gets me down the road for several hours.

Just not a big deal...it's part of life on the road.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heh, I don't hit the $75 limit with my class C. With the class A, swipe two cards..
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
kab449 wrote:
I am a Visa/MC merchant. All I can say is someone down the line has a powerful financial incentive to get you to swipe as many times as they can. The statement I get at the end of the month contains a fixed charge per swipe and a percentage of the dollar total deducted from every transaction. The fixed charge is .40/swipe. Multiply this by millions of transactions and you get the idea.

I get the idea, and thank goodness the station pays it. And who ever they do their credit cards through sets it up the way. Been playing the silly game for a long time. And to get my 70 some gallons of diesel, I'll swipe as many times as I have to. Nothing out of my pocket!!

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Visa/MC merchant. All I can say is someone down the line has a powerful financial incentive to get you to swipe as many times as they can. The statement I get at the end of the month contains a fixed charge per swipe and a percentage of the dollar total deducted from every transaction. The fixed charge is .40/swipe. Multiply this by millions of transactions and you get the idea.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
Limit has got to be set by the gas station. I hit different ceilings at different stations.

Limits on number of daily fill-ups has got to be set by the card issuer.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
I have the Pacific Pride Account through the place up in Washington.
Me too. No limits, monthly billing, never busy.. wonderful.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
supermod38 wrote:
dbbls wrote:
I think the limits are set by the store. I ask the store one time and was told the credit card company set the limit. I then call the card company and they said the store. If the card company set them it would apply to all stations. I am incline to believe the store set them.

the credit limit IS set by the owner, however the limit comes from the card supplier.! the limit is the amount the card company will reimburse the owner for. if the owner sets a higher limit it is on his dime.

i owned my own gas station and store so you are getting this info from the horses mouth.

OK, but crossing the US a couple of times, we found that we could use the same Discover Card at least two times at the pump before being cut off and having to use another, or having to go inside the store and for whatever difference that made for the owner getting reimbursed. I guess, they just go for it, when they can see that it's something with a huge gas tank.

As I explained up thread, the limit is "per transaction". Each card swipe is a separate transaction.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate