cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash Camera / Video recommendation

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I would like some recommendation about installing a Dash camera to record video while traveling.

Is it possible to start / stop with a wireless remote?
How long can you record?
How is the record quality?
Connect and download into a computor?

Something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Vehicle-Camera-Recorder-degree-Vision/dp/B013IHEMD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473364908&sr=8-1&keywords=car+dash+cameras

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
25 REPLIES 25

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
stugpanzer wrote:
I just received the dashcam yesterday and installed in my daily driver today. I asked the seller about MPH vs KMH and they said that is coming in a firmware update.

That's great. I kind of thought it wouldn't be a very difficult upgrade. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I decided to upgrade my current MH dash cam to the GitUp Git2 Action Camera as I also want to use it for other recording opportunities. It is basically a poor man's GoPro, and can use just about all of the same accessories.

I noticed that Techmoan has also reviewed this camera HERE

It's not a very inconspicuous camera but it will be mounted in the upper portion of my coach's windshield so it shouldn't stand out too much.

I too have the Gitup Git2 and it is simply amazing. I bought that for the microphone and remote control for YouTube type videos. It was because of Techmoan that I found that camera! Great camera!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip anything with IR illumination. It the camera lens isn't shielded or against the windshield it will glare off the glass. To get any usable range a dash cam would need 30+.

Short recording files work best for documentation purposes unless you want to make home movies of the drive. HD recording is nice if you're making You Tube videos but the file size will consume the SD memory. Same with GPS. Nice feature but you can live without it.

A GoPro works very well as a dash cam in an RV considering the size of the windshield it won't block you view. Plus it will have other uses where the dash came does one thing. Plus the video editing software that comes free works pretty well.

GoPro Dash Cam Viedo
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobGed wrote:
stugpanzer wrote:
I have had several dashcams. I am currently using a Mobius Action Camera in my toad and am awaiting my new dash camera which will be here within a few days.

Some of the best Dashcam info out on the web (in my opinion) comes from a guy in the UK who goes by the name Techmoan. He has a blog and a Youtube channel.

His review for the camera I ordered is here: Dashcam Review: DDPai M6+ is the best mini cam I've used and > Here is a direct link to the Youtube review <

I ordered the above mentioned camera with two mounts. I plan on using it full-time in my daily driver and move it to the coach when we go on trips. The one thing I really like about this camera is the magnetic mount so one can pull the camera off the mount without having to unplug cables, etc. so it will be easy to move from one vehicle to another.

Definitely records a high quality video. Two things I don't care for are the 3 minute segments. I would like at least 5 minute and preferably 10 minute. The other things is it apparently only reports speed in Km/h, however I suppose this is something that could be changed in a firmware update to include MPH.

The Auto Park is also a nice feature if you have an external battery source.

If it is for accident protection you really want shorter loops, rather than longer. I have mine set a 1 minute loops and it is great. Besides 10 minute loop, becomes a huge file size.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
stugpanzer wrote:
I just received the dashcam yesterday and installed in my daily driver today. I asked the seller about MPH vs KMH and they said that is coming in a firmware update.

That's great. I kind of thought it wouldn't be a very difficult upgrade. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I decided to upgrade my current MH dash cam to the GitUp Git2 Action Camera as I also want to use it for other recording opportunities. It is basically a poor man's GoPro, and can use just about all of the same accessories.

I noticed that Techmoan has also reviewed this camera HERE

It's not a very inconspicuous camera but it will be mounted in the upper portion of my coach's windshield so it shouldn't stand out too much.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
stugpanzer wrote:
I have had several dashcams. I am currently using a Mobius Action Camera in my toad and am awaiting my new dash camera which will be here within a few days.

Some of the best Dashcam info out on the web (in my opinion) comes from a guy in the UK who goes by the name Techmoan. He has a blog and a Youtube channel.

His review for the camera I ordered is here: Dashcam Review: DDPai M6+ is the best mini cam I've used and > Here is a direct link to the Youtube review <

I ordered the above mentioned camera with two mounts. I plan on using it full-time in my daily driver and move it to the coach when we go on trips. The one thing I really like about this camera is the magnetic mount so one can pull the camera off the mount without having to unplug cables, etc. so it will be easy to move from one vehicle to another.

Definitely records a high quality video. Two things I don't care for are the 3 minute segments. I would like at least 5 minute and preferably 10 minute. The other things is it apparently only reports speed in Km/h, however I suppose this is something that could be changed in a firmware update to include MPH.

Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
stugpanzer wrote:

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I checked a VIOFO A119, pretty good review on them, and around a $100.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
The KDLinks is a good one. Amazon.
Mine works great.

X2 Had one for a year in my truck drivin daily with no problems
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At $18 what do you have to loose... the SD card can be used in another IF you do not like it. Buy straight from China or pay for several middle men.
If spending $100 makes you think you are getting more... send me the $100 and I'll .....
'
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I have a Garmin Dash Cam 20. Excellent quality video day and night. 32 gig mini SD card will record about 9-10 hours of HD and then starts to overwrite. Also shows speed, direction of travel and location on the video. Highly recommend but you will pay around $200. Forget the cheap ****.

I second the Garmin 20. I've been running one for almost a year now, it has been flawless and records in very high quality video. They are $160.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dash-Standalone-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00HFMN46S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronic...

I also run a Corba model (CDR810) dash cam, which is now almost 4 years old and has not hiccuped. However, I have had one particular model (CDR840) that would fail about every 6 months, so in general I stay away and run Garmin.

And more than 4 years ago, I was running my smart phone(s) in a windshield dock as a cam. Once it hit the dock, it would fire up the app and it became an instant dash cam. No other cam so far has taken such good video, with great sound, and in very low light. The downsides are its constantly in and out of the car, its very large, and they can become so hot in summer the phone will actually shut down. That's real bad!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, great info.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend checking out this forum, Dash Cam Talk, and see what their recommendations are.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is get one that has two cameras built into the unit. I have had two people back into me in parking lots and was unable to prove who backed into to whom. There are units on the market that have both a front and rear camera that record at the same time.

Dash cams also come in handy when you let your 20 year old take the car to Las Vegas, NV. The cams not only record video outside the car but do a great job on recording sound inside the car. 🙂
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab