cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Cams

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody using dash cams? Which ones are good and how do you have them mounted- at top of windshield or on dash?
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
40 REPLIES 40

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
my first one was a $18 special. worked but wasn't wonderful. then based on a recommendation here I sprung for a $52 one. much better. a $300 go pro, a waste of money.
bumpy

Ya gets what you pay for. There is no comparison between a go-pro and a $50 camera. My son is a snow board instructor and has been using it for years on the mountain and on the lake there is nothing that compares to it on the market.

That is exactly right. In the case of an incident, do you want some fuzzy image that shows basically what went on or do you want an image that is in sharp focus and can read a license plate, or identify someone, at 50+ feet? You may only need your dash camera once in your life and do you really want to trust some cheap Chinese camera or a camera system that has been proven to survive rough handling and still provide a crystal clear video? In addition, the GoPro camera does not have to be only used on your dash. It can be hand carried to provide 1080 HD video of the various sights that you encounter with your journeys. GoPro also has many versions and you do not have to pay $300 to get one for your rig. For something so important that it may prove your guilt or innocence I feel that spending peanuts on a camera is the real waste of money.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
my first one was a $18 special. worked but wasn't wonderful. then based on a recommendation here I sprung for a $52 one. much better. a $300 go pro, a waste of money.
bumpy

Ya gets what you pay for. There is no comparison between a go-pro and a $50 camera. My son is a snow board instructor and has been using it for years on the mountain and on the lake there is nothing that compares to it on the market.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Which one?

No one is giving names or models. I know to look for fakes, but would like to know what you're using.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one off Ebay, one of the no name cams recommended by someone on this site. It would not stay in the record mode, contacted the seller, never got a response.

So we got a GoPro and it works like a charm. Only issue is the GoPro battery will not last more than about 4 hours recording so you have to keep it plugged into your 12v power source.... another gizmo on the dash looking for a place to plug in :R
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one of the GoPro cameras mounted right on the bottom of the windshield. It gives a full HD view of everything that is going on out in front of my coach.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
They are a really good idea... just don't buy the really cheap China made $30 ones.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a couple of the dash cams, but don't use them. I guess I should. In Russia, Insurance is a 'new' thing, and as such, many think that they can get rich by getting rear ended, and claim big bucks from the other car owner.

Dash cams prevent this, and because a $150,000 + RV is normally well insured, it is a great idea to get a dash cam. Truckers have them for a insurance cost break, and to help avoid scams, yet they are driving upwards of 100,000 miles a year.

My dash cams cost about $25 each straight from China. AliExpress.com and then search for dash cam, and also search for the 32 GB SD card to go inside one.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dash Cams

I didn't get one yet but, I think they're a great idea.

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
I got one from ebay a couple of years ago - china color cam special at a good price.
It came with a 2GB mini card and just rolls-over as it fills - so I always have the most recent 2 hours of video.
I wired it into the 12v so that when the ignition is on, the camera is on. (That is MUCH better than the 'plug into the cig lighter' that they all come with as standard.
I have had the usual instances of dummys pulling in front of me and then hitting the brakes, but so far no accidents.
I do hope I NEVER need it, but just like the insurance coverage, it is 'just-in-case' there should be any questions.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of truck drivers have them. Ask around at a nearby truck stop.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.