cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Destination

Scarroll
Explorer
Explorer
75 out of Chattanooga is the grade so steep that you have to downshift?
14 REPLIES 14

Branson_in_Tucs
Explorer
Explorer
I agree we have a lot of no it all's . You were a new be at one time.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about I 75, no, just have to be careful , not go during rush hours or on weekends. I went to Fayetteville Tn last week from VA. If you do go down I 24, from Monteagle exit to exit 127 it has a bad hill and should shift down on it. Usually foggy this time of year too. It really isn't a bad hill when compared to Co mountains.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all had to start somewhere, not only in RVing, but in life. Sounded like OP had a reasonable question and to the OP...hope you got an answer and please come back to the forum.

On I-75 around the KY-TN state line is Tellico (or could be Jellico) Mountain. A new RVer might be a little hesitant, but since it is an interstate highway, I doubt if the grade is more than 6%. My gas motor homes might downshift a gear, but all is good and no problem. And yes, I do all the driving, or towing, depending on which type of rig I have at the time.

Good luck and most of us are nice and willing to help.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't let one rude poster keep you from asking questions. We've all been a newbie at some point.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
On my class A coach which is a 1996 Monaco Dynasty as far as I know I only have drive, reverse and neutral. I guess I must be a troll as well as I only know how to use my service brakes or Pac man brakes to slow me down. How do I "gear down" without using the service brakes please?

Assume from your coach that you have an Allison 3000 series transmission.

Assume you have an Allison shift pad with the following in addition to D, R and N:

Mode
UP arrow
DOWN arrow

The down arrow allows you to select a lower gear.

If you have the two window Allison shift pad, the left window (or only window if you have the single window shift pad)indicates the "pre-select" gear. That is the gear toward which the transmission will shift as long as it will not under or over-speed the engine. SO:

At a stop light in drive it will show "6". Of course you are not in 6th gear, but you have told the transmission to up-shift toward 6th gear for you. Suspect when you turn on your exhaust brake, that window goes from 6th to some lower gear, with 4th and 2nd being popular choices. But any gear can be programmed for this function.

And, it is totally idiot proof. You could down arrow to first gear at 60 MPH and nothing bad would happen. The Allison would merely downshift as soon as it would not over-speed the engine in the next lower gear.

And, PLEASE, two things for EVERYONE: Particularly with newbies, how about benefit of the doubt. And newbies, don't have your feeling hurt quite so easily, you have to understand there there ARE trolls out there who glory in conflict.

AND

Please put what coach you have in your signature. Makes answers a LOT more relevant.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Saying this person is a troll is just so disrespectful. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came out of the womb having the same experience as all the senior members on this site. On my class A coach which is a 1996 Monaco Dynasty as far as I know I only have drive, reverse and neutral. I guess I must be a troll as well as I only know how to use my service brakes or Pac man brakes to slow me down. How do I "gear down" without using the service brakes please?

Scarroll
Explorer
Explorer
Not a troll but a newbie. Sorry I offended anyone it won't happen again. Thanks for all the posts and comments they were a lot of help.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
This post seems to come from a true 'newbie'. Her only other post was asking how to keep things from falling off the counter while traveling.

I'd give her the benefit of doubt and not calling her a 'troll' right away.

I agree. Hopefully she will learn a lot here before hitting the road.

But, as posted, downshifting on grades is a normal (and NECESSARY) part of driving any heavy vehicle. Said another way, the engine/transmission must be used to control speed of descent, NOT THE SERVICE BRAKES!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This post seems to come from a true 'newbie'. Her only other post was asking how to keep things from falling off the counter while traveling.

I'd give her the benefit of doubt and not calling her a 'troll' right away.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Troll?
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a good hill 15 miles north with a extra truck lane... maybe 1.5 miles long. Yes a gasser will probably downshift one gear... not a big deal. I sometimes stop at the exit just before to get fuel and since I'm headed towards Cleveland TN I'll take the old road along the river... no hill and a little shorter, but not faster.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to say something but looked it up first. I was thinking the OP was referring to what turned out to be I59 South out of Chattanooga which has no long grade hills. Been on I24 a few times with some long grades but don't think we have ever used I75 before except in FLA heading for Tampa area from I10.... North Georgia HIGH COUNTRY has some good mtns there to cross for sure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
The only true "steep" out of Chattanooga is I24 up toward Nashville. I75 is no problem.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scarroll wrote:
75 out of Chattanooga is the grade so steep that you have to downshift?

What type of coach?? Curious as to why you care...no disrepect intended but downshifting is a normal part of driving.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad