cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor or Eternabond or?

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at a point I can no longer put off re-doing my roof on the MH. It is galvanized metal with 2 interlocking seams running down the length of the roof ending at the front and rear seals as I'm sure most MH are the same.'ve been looking at Eternabond ans Dicor 4" wide sealant tape, eternabond is 35 mills and Dicor is 25, also Menards has a 4" tape for 7.00 per 10' roll which equals 35.00 for 50'. Anyone have some pros and cons about any of the above?
20 REPLIES 20

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
I'll post a pic

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
i was planning to run the tape on my seams up to the front and rear seal then caulk the seals? My seals are pretty high 3/8-1/2", seems too tall to tape over for a tight seal. If I tape over the seals how far down the sides do you go?

I don't understand exactly what you are saying in your quote. Could you post a picture?

Are you talking about the side seams like in the picture below? Under these seams is a tape caulk that is soft and pliable. I changed one of mine needlessly before I realized how effective the tape caulk is at sealing.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
i was planning to run the tape on my seams up to the front and rear seal then caulk the seals? My seals are pretty high 3/8-1/2", seems too tall to tape over for a tight seal. If I tape over the seals how far down the sides do you go?

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Today I removed all the old caulk from the front seam of my rubber roof. I cleaned the rubber roof with Scrubbing Bubbles and the fiberglass with acetone then applied Eterna Bond tape to the seam.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
I'm at a point I can no longer put off re-doing my roof on the MH. It is galvanized metal with 2 interlocking seams running down the length of the roof ending at the front and rear seals as I'm sure most MH are the same.'ve been looking at Eternabond ans Dicor 4" wide sealant tape, eternabond is 35 mills and Dicor is 25, also Menards has a 4" tape for 7.00 per 10' roll which equals 35.00 for 50'. Anyone have some pros and cons about any of the above?

For Eternabond installation, go to the source.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I had eternabond on my 4 roof seams and had camping world fix a hail damaged seam on my MH, They replaced my eternabond w/ some 4" alum tape that lifted & failed after 2 years causing several leaks and I fixed it w/ eternabond to stop the leak. I wouldn't use anything but eternabond.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
any recommendations on cleaning solutions before laying tape?

I cleaned the area with Scrubbing Bubbles, then acetone before covering it with Eternabond roof tape.

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
TCP seems to do a good job - give it a good scrub with it, rinse it off and let the whole thing bake in the sun for a day before applying

If you have a lack of sun, come take a trip to AZ, we have enough for everyone at the moment!!

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
any recommendations on cleaning solutions before laying tape?

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Eternabond extensively. It works great.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
I have only used Eternabond so I can not speak for the Dicor tape. What is the brand the Menards carries? That is a good price. 4" x 50' roll of Eternabond goes for around $80. I will be doing the roof on my new fiver soon and I will be using Eternabond. It is easy to work with and once it is down, it does not come off.
the Menards brand was called Homeseal I think, I called the company that makes it and asked if it would be suitable for this project, he said it might not handle the wind??? If it would handle the wind on a metal roof whats the differnce? It was 55 mills thick, pretty sticky too. BTW Amazon has 4x50' eternabond for 62.00

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Use Eternabond, it works.
going to go eternabond then. i have read some good things about Dicor products but I like the sound of a heavier product. Thanks all

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Seams in metal roofs are only part of the problem. The installation usually used either staples or nails. Every point of penetration starts to enlarge.
I would suggest cleaning the roof good, sand down the oxidation and treat the whole roof with a good quality roof coating such as Liquid Roof, Dyco 890 or Dicor Metal Roof Coating.
If there are screws, staples, etc. they are not visible. The roof job is going to be complete not just the seams, I have the 5 gallon pail of elastic coating.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Use Eternabond, it works.