cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I buy a lemon? roadtrek ranger 2013

zptdewda
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned this camper for 3 weeks. The a/c sputtered and quit, the first time I turned it on. The dealer said to find a switch in the side panels, which I could not open, thinking the keys did not work. My lawn maintenance man was able to open the big one, with 2 locks, and when I tried to close it and lock it, (after Not finding any "switch"), the key broke off. Since this panel has no hinges, it rests at a 45 degree angle and presents an obstacle to driving the van.
Also, my monitor panel does not light up. The manual does not say anything about troubleshooting these problems.
I bought this so I could take my dogs with me on trips, since I refuse to kennel them. We have already had temperatures in Charlotte of 97 degrees and the auto air conditioner is not sufficient for the dogs in back, so I can't even drive the van to the dealership, 4 hours away. But the manual says that road trek does not warranty the ac or any appliances, anyway, and you must deal with the manufacturer!
Also, the "black water flush" added at the dealership, fell off. One of the house painters (I am in the middle of moving) noticed it dangling beneath the van and taped it, to prevent it from breaking completely.
Has anyone here purchased a new camper and had an air conditioner break immediately?
And a key break off in a lock? I was not strong enough to open/close the lock, but able to break the key? This seems crazy to me and I am afraid of what is next. I do not need to be in the middle of the desert in a vehicle that I can't trust.
I have been so busy moving that I have not realized the extent of the problem and became sick this past weekend worrying about what to do.
I don't have time to post since I have to clean out the garage today on the house I am selling because it is to be pressure washed tomorrow, but I am so devastated that I had to, hoping that someone will tell me where this switch is, so my a/c will work and this has been a bad dream.
9 REPLIES 9

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Good advise (calm down) Back in the seventies my brother in law bought a brand new Lincoln. Drove it for a week and brought it back to the dealer because it was not running properly. They discovered that one of the piston connecting rod was not connected to the crankshaft, it was just sitting in the top of the cylinder.
This is not the end of the world. Get it fixed at the dealer and don't start thinking about what else can go wrong. My God! has everything in your life in the past gone so perfect before?

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
An RV is a collection of parts made by various manufacturers. Sometimes the law of averages works against us and the collection of parts contains several bad components. Remember, the assembler (in this case Roadtrek) just put them together, did a quick test and sent the RV to the dealer for delivery. Even if the dealer did another check, chances are everything worked before delivery. Roadtrek makes a good product and should take care of your warranty problems. When all is working for you you'll enjoy traveling where you want with your pets. Best wishes for happy travels.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
zptdewda wrote:
Thank you for your responses. This is my first chance to check back, but I actually thought I had no responses because I did check my email, thinking I would be notified.
It sounds like this is normal, but I already have problems and bought this to relax and have fun. I am angry for expecting to be able to pop the dogs in the car and drive to the mountains a few days each week, all summer, while I have repairs done on the house where we now live, to ready it to sell.
I thought there could be problems a few years down the road, like cars after three years, but not a broken air conditioner! I thought something might leak or a cabinet hinge might break. I can see I was wrong, because none of you even seems surprised.
Now, knowing this, why would I expect that another major thing might not work, after the dealer fixes the air conditioner? The inverter, the battery, the sewage...? As a matter of fact, I was told that the battery, running the refrigerator and lights, would last about 3 days, but it only lasted one day. The air conditioner could break again, anytime, anywhere. I would be taking a real chance to expect anything to work as it should. I wonder why this does not happen with new cars. It is hard to imagine someone buying a new car and having the air conditioner break on day one.
I guess I have made a big mistake, but I am glad to find out now. Since it is a 2013 model, maybe I can get half of what I paid. I read somewhere that RVs depreciate by half in the first year. I am very grateful to everyone for being so honest about what to expect. I wish I had asked questions beforehand, but it did not occur to me that this could happen. Live and learn.

I'm sorry but you are over reacting. Calm down, take some deep breaths. It will all work out. New anything, cars, boats, RVs can have issues. Best to camp in it near the dealer for a few days and make your list. They will take care of it.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

robbins1
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there, don't give up and put out the for sale sign yet. I've never bought from a dealer, only old used campers. But I think you'll find a lot support here from others who know the ins and outs. Hold the dealer/manufacturer(s) to everything you can. At least get the current problems tended to before you put it on the market. Good luck!
~~~ruth~~~

zptdewda
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. This is my first chance to check back, but I actually thought I had no responses because I did check my email, thinking I would be notified.
It sounds like this is normal, but I already have problems and bought this to relax and have fun. I am angry for expecting to be able to pop the dogs in the car and drive to the mountains a few days each week, all summer, while I have repairs done on the house where we now live, to ready it to sell.
I thought there could be problems a few years down the road, like cars after three years, but not a broken air conditioner! I thought something might leak or a cabinet hinge might break. I can see I was wrong, because none of you even seems surprised.
Now, knowing this, why would I expect that another major thing might not work, after the dealer fixes the air conditioner? The inverter, the battery, the sewage...? As a matter of fact, I was told that the battery, running the refrigerator and lights, would last about 3 days, but it only lasted one day. The air conditioner could break again, anytime, anywhere. I would be taking a real chance to expect anything to work as it should. I wonder why this does not happen with new cars. It is hard to imagine someone buying a new car and having the air conditioner break on day one.
I guess I have made a big mistake, but I am glad to find out now. Since it is a 2013 model, maybe I can get half of what I paid. I read somewhere that RVs depreciate by half in the first year. I am very grateful to everyone for being so honest about what to expect. I wish I had asked questions beforehand, but it did not occur to me that this could happen. Live and learn.

RSchleder
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the "club". Use your Dealer for your warranty work. They will stand behind all aspects of a brand new RV for at least a year. If the A/C is bad, they can install a new replacement unit. If you had bought a Class A, (we bought 3 new diesel pushers) I'd say you're into the initial phase of at least a year period of getting it sorted out. Our Class B (Winnebago ERA) has had very few issues which is more typical with these small motorhomes. Good luck!

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Did you spend a couple of days camped close to the dealer when you purchased it. This is always a good idea, as there are always some things that will need fixed or fine tuned.
Call Roadtrek and ask them for the nearest dealer. If you take it to an unauthorized dealer they will have to get approval first from Rt, before they can do the warranty work.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible that Roadtrek will just tell you to take it to a local RV place to be looked at under warranty, although four hours is not considered too far to travel for most folks who've bought a new unit and want to be sure it's being properly serviced.

I recommend that if it's too hot for the dogs to travel, get someone to dogsit and take the unit back to the dealer, where they'll very likely solve ALL the problems you describe.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
don't have any idea about the "key" but what you are describing would, I think, be what RVing is all about.
again, call the dealer and schedule a follow up visit for all of your issues, this is normal. And since you are miles away and you need your A/C fixed now, just do to a RV dealer (who deals with that A/C brand) in your area to help you. NOTE: it is Spring and you may have to wait weeks to get into a dealer.
sorry but this is RVing at its finest.
here are the CW around your area: http://www.campingworldofstatesville.com/
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015