cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Engine Repairs

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
We're shopping for a replacement for our much loved '87 Falcon, and are looking at a LTV Free Spirit on the Mercedes Benz diesel engine. We've driven a couple and loved the drive, but most of the used models we're looking at have over 70K miles. At what mileage point would we expect to start making repairs? Is it difficult to find good diesel repair shops when out on the road? Do the shops that work on big trucks work on RV's too?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
8 REPLIES 8

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lucy,
In years gone by I used to be a big fan of diesel equipment. Things have gotten so complicated and expensive, I doubt the efficacy. I've got a large caterpillar c7 powered diesel motorhome, and had duramax Chevy trucks. Those duramax powered trucks were solid, the Allison transmissions lasted 200k +.

Best thing you could do is look on the expoditer's sites for the van chassis you are interested in. Many problems happen as described with the Sprinter chassis. Expeditors haul small cargo long distances and rack up many miles on their vans.

I've got a gas class b also. I think as you research you will find most gas chassis capable of 300k miles if properly maintained, same as the diesels and maybe a little better than the sprinter. Added bonus? Easier to get service anywhere for a Chevy or Ford product, parts are plentiful, and aftermarket providers more numerous. Keep in mind any class b will be pretty hammered in general after 200 k so your research may be moot.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
trannys: we seem to ignore service intervals for fluid and filter.

the lack of a drain plug in the tranny oil pan on most domestic vehicles makes a change messy- so many of us ignore it.

the local speed shop will carry replacement pans for many domestic trannys with drain plugs, cooling fins and extra capacity

Mike

Traveling_Pa
Explorer
Explorer
Most class b rvs are 70 to 100 percent fully loaded all the time and make long trips. Let's not compare their performance with the performance of vehicles which are used for stop/start driving or towing unless we intend to use the van that way. Our first transmission replacement for our 2004 2500 Sprinter/Sportsmobile was at 240,000. miles. Since 1976 I have had 4 Chevy 3500 gas vans and one Chevy diesel van. The automatic transmissions had to be rebuilt soon after 100,000 miles. These were fully loaded 30 percent of the time towed, occasionally and empty 30 percent of the time. I have no complaints about the Chevys considering the way they were used but I love the Mercedes based diesel Sportsmobile.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
We had several Sprinter based vans at my work, and at around 118,000 miles the transmission needed to be replaced. There where around 4 or 5 of these vans with similar mileage fail.

The mechanic said it must be replaced, as there was not enough left to rebuild. Cost was around $4,500 and it took a few days for each van.

Sure the fuel costs where a lot less, but transmissions where a lot more.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Traveling_Pa
Explorer
Explorer
At about 240,000 miles we put about $6,000 into our 2004 Sportsmobile/Sprinter recently. until that time we never needed a tow although we "limped home" several times in need of a turbo resonator or an inter cooler hose. These kinds of problems cost several hundred dollars to repair but were mostly done the same day they occurred. We also had to replace a head gasket for about $3,000 before 100,000 miles. That is an unusual repair for that model van. Brakes and lube jobs, while expensive, have been few and far between. We find we get good service on the road from Freightliner dealers. When Freightliner can't handle a problem, they know who can. We have a local garage that does our routine maintenance and there is a good Mercedes dealer about an hour from us. My wife and I expect to enjoy using this van for another 10 years if our health permits.

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Given proper care and maintenance, a diesel engine will last practically forever. It's the OTHER parts of the vehicle that usually go first. My 6.4 liter PowerStroke has over 220.000 miles on it. The only things I have had to replace are the thermostats and the radiator. The latest oil analysis from Blackstone Labs shows the engine in my truck is in fine shape with no indications of abnormal wear. So the adage that you have a big repair bill at the 200K mark doesn't always apply. Look for a vehicle that has obvious signs of being well cared for, such as no drips or leaks underneath, a clean engine compartment, gently used interior, and a sharp exterior. An owner who takes care of their vehicle will take care of those things, and an owner who drives it like he stole it and could care less about the maintenance issues will not.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
have is what i've heard.

i have a 06 chevy diesel.

a contact who knows diesels said that when you buy an older diesel you can just expect to put $$$$ into it. I had to replace my injectors at 200K

for something with 70K it is just now getting broken in. if you like it buy it but at around 200K miles expect to put $6-7K into it.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a 2007 LTV with the 5cyc diesel by MB and just had the oil changed at 40k, dealer says ain,t even broke in yet, 300k is common we drive back and forth from az to ohio ,repairs could be done by a MB dealer or freightliner dealer, P.S haven,t needed them yet. in my opinion you can,t go wrong with a MB diesel. ltv freedom serenity II.