cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV..Rude Rep..What are the rules?

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
We always liked Direct TV. In fact, we replaced our In-Motion, less than one year old Dome with a Winegard Slimline Direct TV Travler so that we could get HD. I guess we are idiots, because Dish already has HD. That being said, we've had good service from DTV so we paid $2,400 for roofDish and installation, and bought a Genie for the Living Room in the MOHO , and a regular HD receiver for the moho bedroom.

I just got off the phone with the most officious, rude, Direct TV rep that I've even spoken with. "Elizabeth. Case Manager from Alabama said that if we were to camp, say in San Antonio for a week or so, we would have to have the Distant Network Plan to get "locals' ABC,CBS,NBC etc. On previous trips, if we are going to be settled for a week or so, we called DTV, they changed the address to the RV Park, and we then could get local weather and events. They always said that our receivers would have to be turned off at home. We were never told that this was illegal.

We love RVing and have done it for 30 years. For 30 years the biggest PITA has been TV's. We HAVE to have it because of football, and of course, Dancing with the Stars. I don't think we can ever SPEND enough to make getting TV simple. I know Dish is the same.

This is a rant. What do the rest of you do? Do you call and get your spot beam switched to where you are going to be for awhile?

By the way, Direct TV reps are working out of their homes now. I guess the rep that was so hateful tonight had something cooking on the stove. Terrible idea for DTV to have reps working out of their homes. Very hateful and rude "Elizabeth, from Alabama"
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli
32 REPLIES 32

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
royl wrote:
The FCC ruled recently that satellite providers can't transfer your local service except between your home and a permanent vacation home.

Do you have any links to back up this statement? Dish will transfer the customer accounts with a single call as often as you like. DirecTV will as well but you have to get a knowledgeable CSR. There would be no logical reason for anyone to say I can't receive my the TV programming from my current location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

royl
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how long you have been a Directv customer. I had the same problem so I told them to transfer me to the customer retention department, when I talked with them they said I was grandfathered in because of my long time customer status. The FCC ruled recently that satellite providers can't transfer your local service except between your home and a permanent vacation home. So if you have had service for a long time with them ask for customer retention and talk with them about it.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally wrote:
Could one of you give us some idea of what Distant Network Channels cost to install, and monthly charge? Does one have to be a Full Timer to qualify for DNC's? We do watch a lot of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS etc When we are on the road it would be great not to have to call Direct TV to switch the spot beam. Would it effect our service at home? Could one of you that are getting Distant Networks give us some information on this?

Costs nothing to install.
Costs $15/month for either the E or W feeds. You may be able to request that DTV supply you with both feeds like those of us who are grandfathered into both coasts. This costs $20/month.
You do not need to be a full timer, you just need to fill out the paperwork and send it in.
If you have service at home you would need to have all receivers on the same service. That means your home receivers would also get programming from NY and/or LA but nothing from you local TV stations. If you want local Networks and DNS Networks you will have to have 2 completely separate accounts and pay full price for both accounts.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
sdianel wrote:
Controlled by the FCC. The other reps were going against policy to allow you to change the service address. I would report the rude service rep to hdqtrs.

That's completely incorrect. The FCC could care less if you receive Denver channels while in Denver or Orlando channels while in Orlando. DirecTV and Dish also have no policy that would disallow this either. They both just happen to have some poorly trained CSR's who don't understand what you want to do so respond by saying it can't be done.

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Have had DTV in the coach for past 8 years, two receivers off a dual LNB roof dish so that DW can watch what she wants (in the bedroom) during football season. No DNS, just crank up the OTA HD antenna and watch the locals. Don't care about back home weather, cause I'm not there. Only issue is that if you do not turn the receivers on for 30 days, DTV will suspend them and you have to call the 1-800 DTV lady to have her reset them.

Pay $65 a month for separate DTV service, since the house has one of those $99 a month "more channels than you can watch" cable, 60MB high speed internet and "call all over the world" telephone packages.

That's how we roll!!
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
Could one of you give us some idea of what Distant Network Channels cost to install, and monthly charge? Does one have to be a Full Timer to qualify for DNC's? We do watch a lot of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS etc When we are on the road it would be great not to have to call Direct TV to switch the spot beam. Would it effect our service at home? Could one of you that are getting Distant Networks give us some information on this?
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV for 8 years now. Good outfit. Never a problem....because I don't tell them anything!
In the RV for a snowbird run...or anything more than 3-4 days, I take the bedroom reciever and put it in the RV, get my tripod,compass & strength meter and knowing the coordinates, aim the thing. 10 minits, maybe.
Within 100 miles of my house, i get everything. Outside 100 miles, no "networks", but so what? Put up the power directional Winnguard, aim that, and local networks are there! Why would I want to know NYC weather when I'm in New Mexico?
Everything runs thru a passive switchbox. Push what i want (ANT/Cable/Sat/VCR). Only problem....and it's not a problem for me (us) when on DirecTV we can't watch it on 2 sets. Only the main one.
Adjustments: NCIS comes on at 6PM.in NM or Arizona. Oh, well........
Just pay the bill on time.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We use our crank up antenna and OTA TV..watch all the locals channels for free

Ditto: Why pay for what is free?

I have Dish at home as I rarely watch the major networks except for news/weather and some sports. When I watch TV it is usually History channel, Discover channel, RFD-TV, National Geographic, etc. Not available OTA.

And when on the road, we often stay where no OTA is available. Even as little as 60 miles west of Austin/San Antonio in the hill country you cannot get OTA network channels on the bat wing. So the RV Dish gets us the locals plus all the other Dish channels we get at home.

And if we have TV, the DW is happy. And if DW is happy, I am happy. :B

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
I was a DTV customer for years and bought a 4 room system So we could have a box in the camper as well as all the TVs in the house got it at best buy and it had a $150 rebate. Got everything hooked up and going 6 months later still no rebate called and called and called, about 9 mts in I called and told them to cancel my service they fell all over themselves to give me free programming to stay but could not get the rebate. I was so mad about it I said I was done with Sat. TV That was is 2004 and I dont miss that bill one bit! We get over the air and Netflix through the computer and DVD/blu-ray for movies saving tons of money and alot less time on the boob tube.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
Personally, I love the DNS option. I couldn't care less about any true local programming, what I want is the network broadcasts. Having both East and West coast feeds give me double the opportunity to see those programs, once on east coast time and again 3 hours later on the West coast time. The local news is just that, local to wherever I am, and personally I am not interested in how the Junior High Girls softball team in Lyman Colorado fared in the Colorado State tournament or how much the city council is trying to raise the garbage fees. Cost is immaterial, I enjoy certain television programming, and even with the most expensive packages it is less than a Happy Meal a day.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I love the DNS option. I couldn't care less about any true local programming, what I want is the network broadcasts. Having both East and West coast feeds give me double the opportunity to see those programs, once on east coast time and again 3 hours later on the West coast time. The local news is just that, local to wherever I am, and personally I am not interested in how the Junior High Girls softball team in Lyman Colorado fared in the Colorado State tournament or how much the city council is trying to raise the garbage fees.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We use our crank up antenna and OTA TV..watch all the locals channels for free

Ditto: Why pay for what is free?

When Sat and Cable TV first came out they yammered about "Commercial Free TV" this lasted,, about a month or so it seems (Bit longer in reality). So now you pay to have the ads delivered to your living room.. Right..

There are rules for sat TV, one is you can not change your service location willy nilly as often as you like,,, Another is spot beaming of your "LOCAL" network affiliates.

Thus if you want Network stateions (ABC, CBS, et-al) in an RV you need to have an RV type account (House accounts do not qualify) and you need to subscribe to distant network service. A few dollars a month more.. And of course they can raise the rates all they want and since you spend all that money on the install, what you gonna do?

What makes it worse is they are consolidating,, That is AT&T has a bid in to buy DirecTV... This can only result in higher prices for all.

AND The Sat and Cable folks wish to ban OTA broadcasts (So far the FCC has resisted that suggestion.. big time) Why.. So you will HAVE to pay their outlandish fees of course.

Now if you think I am not exactly a fan of subscription TV... RIGHT!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Controlled by the FCC. The other reps were going against policy to allow you to change the service address. I would report the rude service rep to hdqtrs.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
From FAQ at DirecTV...

What is Distant Network Service (DNS)?

Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles. It's a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy these channels on the road in their mobile vehicle. If your main residence is qualified to receive Los Angeles/New York stations, you can also receive them in your RV, car or boat. If your main residence doesn't qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels. Learn more

Please note that a separate DIRECTV account is required to enjoy DNS in your mobile vehicle. Mirroring to the home is not allowed.

Note the last sentence..you will need a SEPARATE ACCOUNT.

This is NOT a unique situation with DirecTV. It is MANDATED by Federal Legislation. DISH is no different....hope this helps....Dennis

I signed up for DTV service as soon as it was available and soon discovered that DNS was available to certain groups of people. I was so anxious to get rid of cable that I didn't consider the local channels.

DNS was started shortly after DTV started providing service. It was designed to provide service to those not in an area of reliable reception for OTA broadcasts. The law at the time was protecting locals from losing their transmission control. I got it by providing proof that the local property owners assoc prevented us from having rooftop antennas. I had to get a letter from each local station "allowing" me to receive their programming thru DTV rather than OTA. The service was then extended to those who are on the road, truckers, RVers etc. When we left Calif I was informed that if I reported it we would lost the DNS service so I cheated till the law was changed to allow its purchase by almost anyone.
What others have said about contacting DTV and not getting the info they want or need is true. I've had to call as many as three times to get it straight on what I can or can't do with my service.

Perhaps someday we'll live in a world where buggy whips will expire with the buggys.
Ron