cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a lawyer?

frelsang
Explorer
Explorer
I trade in my 08 Windsport to a brand new 2014 Winnebago last November, The pay off of the first loan is $75000, I had paid an extra $20,000 for the upside down pay off on the first loan during the purchase, The problem is the dealership never pay off my first loan, I've been making 2 RV monthly payment for the last 3 month, I called the dealer many times, they just keep lying to me saying it's in the process to be pay off in a week or two, but 3 months had passed, I am afraid if I don't do anything it's going to get drag on for as long as they pleased, my question is do I need a lawyer? or take the dealership to small claims court? Does this happen to many people or just happen to me?
76 REPLIES 76

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
I heard later that the whole family left town in the middle of the night. Later by accident I talked to another who had business dealings with this individual and did he have some stories to tell. Not sure if he was ever arrested and prosecuted, but he sure deserved it and many times over.
The last name wasn't Hibrader, from Tampa was it? I could tell you many tales about that family who were dealers in Tampa. I finally sent him to prison for his shenanigans against both his customers and the state.

No, not the one and can't think of the proper spelling at the moment, but was in Naples (Mazda Dealership) until about 2004. Must be a lot of these boogers around and about, eh?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you deduct the additional payments you made from the payoff.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
There used to be an After Market Motorcycle shop in Maryland. They had a scam going where they would take a bike in as a trade and never pay off the loan. They would then sell it and give a paper plate but never do the title work. So what would happen is the original Finance Company would repo it if they could find it but even if they did not repo it you could not get it registered in the new owners name as the Stealership never did any of the paper work.

I purchased from him twice but I made sure that my loan was paid off, even though it took two months for him to do it. I was there almost everyday making a pest out of myself to make sure that he did make the payoff. I was one of the lucky few that did not get scammed.

Well, this rocket scientist took a bike in that was owned by the President of a Major Motorcycle Club (a 1%'er for those that know anything about The M/C World). The last that I heard he had not been seen for quite some time. Gee, I wonder what happened to him????? My guess is that he was Crab Food in Chesapeake Bay.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, this won't be the first time for McMahon's to pull this. Mike Thompson up the street isn't much better. When I read these types of stories and know that they are true, I go out of my way to tell others.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Local car dealer did this, and a lot of people were suprised when they found out their old car loans weren't paid off after they traded. They all took a huge ding on their credit rating not to mention all of the hassles involved.

The dealer spent several years in prison for his shenanigans. Don't let them get away with it.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
frelsang wrote:
I trade in my 08 Windsport ... The pay off of the first loan is $75000, I had paid an extra $20,000 for the upside down pay off on the first loan during the purchase
To me he has a $75,000 loan and the value of the rig was $55,000 and he paid $20,000 to pay off the loan on the trade in. The loan should have been paid and loans are virtually always secured in part by a lien on the title.

So now he does not have the rig and is still making payments.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
I heard later that the whole family left town in the middle of the night. Later by accident I talked to another who had business dealings with this individual and did he have some stories to tell. Not sure if he was ever arrested and prosecuted, but he sure deserved it and many times over.
The last name wasn't Hibrader, from Tampa was it? I could tell you many tales about that family who were dealers in Tampa. I finally sent him to prison for his shenanigans against both his customers and the state.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
frelsang wrote:
I trade in my 08 Windsport to a brand new 2014 Winnebago last November, The pay off of the first loan is $75000, I had paid an extra $20,000 for the upside down pay off on the first loan during the purchase, The problem is the dealership never pay off my first loan, I've been making 2 RV monthly payment for the last 3 month, I called the dealer many times, they just keep lying to me saying it's in the process to be pay off in a week or two, but 3 months had passed, I am afraid if I don't do anything it's going to get drag on for as long as they pleased, my question is do I need a lawyer? or take the dealership to small claims court? Does this happen to many people or just happen to me?

Forget the lawyer and contact the authorities at once. Had this happen with a car once and after contacting the state (I believe they have only 30 days to pay off the liens in FL), it wasn't long before we found out that this was business as usual with this dealer and they were promptly shut down, but not before my purchase was paid off. In this case, I paid cash and they had immediately sold my trade in. The problem was that the car I purchased had a lien and the previous owner was now getting calls from their lender. I heard later that the whole family left town in the middle of the night. Later by accident I talked to another who had business dealings with this individual and did he have some stories to tell. Not sure if he was ever arrested and prosecuted, but he sure deserved it and many times over.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Call the bank and get copies of those three checks front and back along with your loan statements to take in. Good for you to keep your credit rating intact but the dealer now owes you those three payments in addition to the payoff.

frelsang
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the reply I will keep everyone updated to how it will turn out, yes I paid an extra $20k I signed all the trade documents including release of the liability, they took my Windsport but I am still paying the monthly payment from the bank auto drawn, because they are not paying the loan off, I am gathering all my paper work now prepare for the DMV. The only upside to the deal is the Winnebago Forza sits in my drive way is a beauty.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
11B wrote:
I'd jump on this problem as soon as you can with the State of Ca. BMV. It should only take a phone call to get the ball rolling. When dealers fail to pay off a trade its a RED flag they are in financial problems. Get to their bond they have posted with the state before they go BK.
I wish I had said that, I think I did.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
And let's not forget about the potential imapact to the OP's credit. While he may be paying the loan (some of us might struggle with that) it certainly affects income to debt ratio since he's carrying 2 loans. And that can negatively impact your credit score. I am with you guys, I would be in the store, in person. I certainly would not have waited this out for a few months. They'll carry this out as long as they can til they get a buyer and you are paying the carrying costs. Not to mention the payoff on your own unit goes down so when the dealership finally pays it off they pocket the difference.
2013 ACE 29.2

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
frelsang wrote:
Thanks to everyone's feedback and advice, I will contact DMV and BMV today
the dealership claim that they are the biggest in Southern California, I been
a very nice customer to them, but as soon as I signed the deal wrote them the check

no one would answer my calls

can't get any question answer. .......

Have you ever gone down to that dealership to TELL them in person?

If someone stuck me with a loan of $75,000 on my trade in, I would NOT be calling them, I would be INSIDE that dealership ON their showroom floor in the 'owners' face until they rectified the problem.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hardtobe wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Effy, He signed a contract so there are likely legal concerns about a repo. And that does not solve the problem of the $20,000 he paid the dealer to clear the lien.

he paid 20K to pay down the loan? I don't see where it was to clear the lien?

Right, that 20k was for the new unit. Since title work was not done and OP is still paying on the old one, he owns it. He ought to go get it.
2013 ACE 29.2

hardtobe
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Effy, He signed a contract so there are likely legal concerns about a repo. And that does not solve the problem of the $20,000 he paid the dealer to clear the lien.

he paid 20K to pay down the loan? I don't see where it was to clear the lien?