cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you let you kids drive your motorhome

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I was sitting at the dealership today when a guy sitting across from me got a call from, I found out later, his son-in-law. Come to find out that this guy bought a new motorhome last year and his son-in-law was asking to barrow it. He thought going on a vacation was a good thing to do and barrowing the motorhome was the way to do it.

He nicely told his son-in-law that his motorhome is not something he loans out and the son-in-law obviously didn't like that answer. The son-in-law was not letting it go and tried two or three different ways of convincing this guy why he should loan it out. I felt bad for the guy because he was trying to be nice to someone who was obviously pushing the bounds.

What about you guys, do you loan out your motorhome? Obviously you don't if you full time, but what about those who use it a couple months? Do you loan it out to your kids, neighbors and friends?
49 REPLIES 49

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Before you let anyone drive your coach in other than an emergency situation may sure you check your insurance policy.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sorry Thor, that was very wrong of me! 🙂

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mondooker wrote:
There's only one thing you borrow"! And I asked "What's that Dad"? And he said "A hammer"... And I of course said "A Hammer"? My Dad says "you can't break a hammer"!

Thems fighting words...Nobody borrows my hammer. :M

Actually, I have broken more than one hammer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
My dad always said, that if I wanted to drive his stuff, I should buy what he bought, we'd then be equals. I've been asked for the use of my truck, and our trailer, once. Truck, many times, by people who are moving. My standard answer is to tell them to buy a truck, just like I did, and the trailer borrower got the same answer, want to use one? Go buy one.
I also have a shop full of tools, go buy them, just like I did.....

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when I was a young boy, just before the earths crust cooled" I asked a friend if I could borrow his train set. My Dad took me aside and said "the best way to lose a friend is to borrow something. If anything happens, as it often does, you may have lost a friend or effected a relationship. There's only one thing you borrow"! And I asked "What's that Dad"? And he said "A hammer"... And I of course said "A Hammer"? My Dad says "you can't break a hammer"!

And yes, anyone can have an accident. But if its in my coach, I want me to be the driver. That way I'm the only one to blame. Plus some people have cats... I HATE CATS!!!

I don't borrow things and I don't say things like "What did you pay for that"? I figure if someone wants to loan me something or wants me to know what I paid? They would tell me. I know... Maybe that's just me?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
TexasShadow wrote:
our two sons, in their 50s now, have never asked to borrow our MH (20+years),
but both asked, years ago, if they could drive it to see what it's like, so Dad moved over to the passenger seat and let them have at it..on an Interstate. Both boys (men) lasted about 30 minutes and never asked again. I (wife) drove it for about the same amount of time the day we took ownership and started home...on an Interstate. I probably should have kept doing that until I got used to it, but sadly, did not, and now I sometimes think about what I would do if DH gets sick on the road, etc.

It's not too late.

While I do most of the towing, ever so often we swap out for just the reason you suggested...what if I am incapacitated and she needs to drive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
My son has had his license for 3 years now, and has lots of driving experience (two summers working at an amusement park that's an 80 mile round trip, plus two 500 mile road trips in his car). With some guidance and a few behind-the-wheel sessions in parking lots and on the road to teach him about wide swings and how tall it is and get him used to the handling, I'd be okay with it for short distances but would want him to do a few of those before I'd be comfortable with a longer trip.

My middle daughter has had her license for less than a year. She needs a lot more experience on the road first!

My youngest daughter starts learning to drive this year. Exciting times here. 🙂
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I would lend it out to my adult kids if they had some practice behind the wheel. I didn't find it particularly difficult to drive a 40' Class A, my DW mastered it quite easily as well. There are a couple of friends including my mechanic buddy I might lend it out to, my two brothers would fit in that category as well. This short list is made up of people who are responsible and conscientious of what things cost and their replacement value. Accidents happen no matter how perfect your driving skill or ability to park a vehicle, nobody intends to purposely damage/ruin someone's RV.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
After all this reading, my answer is short, NO !
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have loaned my trailer out to 3 people in the past. My only responsible brother, my father in law and my best friend.

My brother and I ran a trucking company together and could both drive doubles so I knew he could handle it and that if something happened he could afford to fix it.

My father in law has driven trucks and is the most anal person I know when it comes to maintaining, repairing and handling any kind of vehicle. Also has the means (and ability) to fix anything that would happen.

My best friend borrowed it a couple times after he lost his 40 footer in the divorce. Again, has the means and ability to fix anything that would happen.

Other than those 3 I wouldn't lend it to anyone else.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I was sitting at the dealership today when a guy sitting across from me got a call from, I found out later, his son-in-law. Come to find out that this guy bought a new motorhome last year and his son-in-law was asking to barrow it. He thought going on a vacation was a good thing to do and barrowing the motorhome was the way to do it.

He nicely told his son-in-law that his motorhome is not something he loans out and the son-in-law obviously didn't like that answer. The son-in-law was not letting it go and tried two or three different ways of convincing this guy why he should loan it out. I felt bad for the guy because he was trying to be nice to someone who was obviously pushing the bounds.

What about you guys, do you loan out your motorhome? Obviously you don't if you full time, but what about those who use it a couple months? Do you loan it out to your kids, neighbors and friends?

Only when I'm in it.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have a trailer, but would probably feel the same way if it was a MH. Yes I would let my kids borrow it if they asked. They have all been camping with me and working the systems for their entire life. I have also made them drive to and from camping a few times just in case I was ever not able to for some reason. I figured it was better to learn how now without the added stress of a sick dad or something.

As far as a neighbor/friend? I can only think of two that I would have no problem loaning it to.

Funny thing is, I would not loan it to any of my brothers as they don't seem to take care of things like I do.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my youngest's husband start hinting around about the second coach we owned. He thought he was a truckdriver and since he drug a few cows to Texas a few years ago I should allow him to take our coach 'on vacation'. nope! I don't 'loan' that out. I did buy a 30 foot travel trailer for our three kids to use with their families. I finally sold it for lack of use. I did find the TV antenna folded wrong, accompanied with an oak limb once. Mr Trucker might have used it once. "I really want a motorhome" he said.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
our two sons, in their 50s now, have never asked to borrow our MH (20+years),
but both asked, years ago, if they could drive it to see what it's like, so Dad moved over to the passenger seat and let them have at it..on an Interstate. Both boys (men) lasted about 30 minutes and never asked again. I (wife) drove it for about the same amount of time the day we took ownership and started home...on an Interstate. I probably should have kept doing that until I got used to it, but sadly, did not, and now I sometimes think about what I would do if DH gets sick on the road, etc.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
This depends on the son in law. Some people are good with stuff. Others... not so much.

Amen to that.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS