cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this make sense-buying a used motorhome for 1 year use

Luke57
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally posted this in the Class C forum first, hope it's ok to cross post.

My wife and I are retiring early (I'm 59, she's 55). We're thinking of buying a 4-6 year old motorhome. We don't know where we want to live when we retire, we would use the motorhome to investigate options from FL to WA. Once we know where we want to live we'd probably sell the motorhome. Based on articles I've read about the depreciation of RVs, it seems like this would be financially viable. If I bought a 5 year old motorhome for say $80k, used it for a year and then sold it, it looks like it would be worth $60-$65k. Excluding the operating costs, that means the RV cost me $15k-$20k for the year, which is significantly cheaper than renting. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for your perspective.
9 REPLIES 9

Bruce_Brown
Please respond to the original question posted.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I think a year will fly by so buy a used unit that you might want to keep and enjoy. You might be done in a year but maybe not.

There are a lot of places to explore and if you are serious about finding the perfect retirement location, it will take longer than one year to find it (in my opinion).

Of course you could give us your parameters of what you think a good retirement location would entail and we might know of a good place.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the idea is reasonable but I also think you better pick a coach you like since as kerrlakeroo posted you might end up owning it a bit longer than intended.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly what we did. Weren't sure we would like the RV life so we bought an old gasser, fixed it up some and kept it for 2 years. We did several trips around the northeast, decided that we liked it but needed something bigger. Bought a 35' DP and sold the gasser for what we paid for it.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Luke57 please be aware that cross posting/double posting is generally against the rules. As you will be with us for awhile may I suggest you take some time and read the rules.
http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/register/sup/1.cfm
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's probably even possible to find one that won't cost you that much. Depends on how motivated the seller is to get rid of it. Buy low and sell high!

Here's another thought based on your plan. Do you own a big pickup or have a need for a big pickup? You would likely lose a lot less money by buying and then selling a used trailer. And if you had a need for the truck you could buy and just keep it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
One potential problem with your plan though. Will it pose a major problem if you decide you like the road and travelling?

Luke57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I wasn't sure if users read other forums besides their own. Is there a way to delete this post?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The answers will be the same as the ones posted on your other thread.

Class A or Class B. If you find a used one for sale at the right price yes you will be able to sell it for most likely the same price. It is a doable idea.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.