cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domicile and LTCs for fulltimers

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How does obtaining a firearms permit work when your a full timer? I have a Mass resident license and a NH non-resident which covers me in about 33 states but what happens when I go full time a don't have a stick and mortar anymore? For example if I pick Texas for my domicile but only in name am I going to be able to get a fire arms license to carry from Texas?
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016
11 REPLIES 11

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Transport is simple; you just need three small safes!
One for the weapon.
One for the magazine.
One for the ammunition.
It would be a good idea to have them separated by at least 6 feet, with none accessible to the driver.
That should satisfy almost anybody.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Jack_Pine
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Good Luck to you Quint and FYI, this is the longest period I've seen a handgun post last on RV.Net!

Shhhhh...he called it a LTC. Nobody knows it's a handgun post....:W...Dennis

That's funny but true, I had no clue when I clicked on it. The other question is how to transport when driving through restrictive places.
2004 F350 CC PSD 4*4
Keystone Hornet 2009 31RLDS
2001 Starcraft PU
Cabin in West Central Wisconsin

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
usacarry.com
They have all the answers on forums. I use it all the time when travelling as the laws change and you have to keep up. If you go to Md with a CCW from outside Md the cops pull you over and question you about your weapon. Where is it? Is it loaded? They are sticklers, so are NY and Ca. I have a VA and a Fl CCW but no longer need the Fl except for Ga. Just go with the state you are liscensed in as they check against that when checking your CCW.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:
Good Luck to you Quint and FYI, this is the longest period I've seen a handgun post last on RV.Net!

Shhhhh...he called it a LTC. Nobody knows it's a handgun post....:W...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
www.handgunlaws.us

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the specifics vary by state. But even a fulltimer still has a permanent address and a home state. You're not picking a state in name only. You're picking a state that you're going to "move to" and be your official residence/domicile and your home state. Your new official address in that state will be used for driver lic, fishing lic, professional lic, voting, vehicle reg, insurance, Medicare, Soc Security, etc
My home state is SD and they make you show evidence of a 30 day stay in the state/County before the local sheriff will issue a CCW. a receipt from an RV park was acceptable.
Other states have different requirements, some require a firearms class before issue, etc. I have no experience with Tx.
Jim

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You can get a CCW from a couple of states, AZ and Utah come to mind, but not all states will recognize that permit I think that MA will have reciprocity with a few states but you would need to look that up. The MA permit does work in a few states.

jimR

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You 'declare' which state is your 'domicile' and then get a 'legal' address via a mail forwarding service. Then you get DLs, vehicle registrations, voters registration, change of address etc to your NEW Domicile Legal Address.

Then you can apply for that states CCW
Comply with the CCW requirements and you will be issued one

Check that states CCW requirements prior to declaring......simple goggle search
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quint Da Man wrote:
How does obtaining a firearms permit work when your a full timer? I have a Mass resident license and a NH non-resident which covers me in about 33 states but what happens when I go full time a don't have a stick and mortar anymore? For example if I pick Texas for my domicile but only in name am I going to be able to get a fire arms license to carry from Texas?

I would guess the answer is YES but you should check with Texas to be sure.