cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domicile: Texas vs. Florida

Sonny54
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're looking at domicile options. Since we'll be full time RVing, but not retired, we want to eliminate the state income tax, so we're looking at options via Escapees. Texas and Florida seem to be the best choices, but I'm wondering if one is better than the other. Geography is not an issue.
33 REPLIES 33

Don't forget vehicle/RV insurance. Florida's insurance market is getting a bit out of control.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
The TX motor vehicle inspection is once a year. You MUST have your vehicle inspected before your tags can be renewed. The registration and inspection are on the same windshield sticker and tied together on the DMV computers. If you already own your RV and it is registered in another state you must pay the 6.25% TX sales tax on the vehicle prior to registering.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in FL most of my life, I found that NV was much more retiree friendly as the property taxes in Volusia county where I lived got very expensive. Vehicle registration is more expensive in NV but I found that it did not exceed what I save in property tax. I chose Reno as being retired, the snow ceased to be an issue (I'll look out at the white stuff and say "I'm not going to work today' then remember I don't work any more!). Nevada also has the advantage of being close to so many spectacular RV destinations, especially here in Reno where many are within a day's drive.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have been FL residents for some time. We chose it over TX and SD. SD wasn't in our travel plans, so didn't do that and after the info about health insurance glad we didn't. Also TX requires inspection and a special license if over 26,000#. We spend our winters in FL, it was easy to change over, registration is cheap, worked for us. My FIL used TX and was always running around trying to get inspected whenever they entered the state.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
rvadventure2 wrote:

2 other states that are real good is the state of Washington, and Nevada. Regards

Depending on the age and MSRP of the coach Nevada is not a good choice. They have what is called a Government Services Tax that is calculated on the value of the coach and decreases each year.

I have 2009 Tiffin Phaeton and when I first moved here in 2010 my total registration fees were $3,300. For this year my fees were $1,127.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to do a vehicle inspection unless you're staying in Texas. You have 3 days to drive through... it's big!

There are a lot of posts on this topic on the 'Fulltiming' section. Check it out.

Perhaps the moderator can move this to the 'Fulltiming' section for you.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Don't come her it is too crowded and you wouldn't like all the woods.
Florida if you like a Sauna.
Texas if you like an oven.
We don't have income tax and registration or plates or tax is 24.00 a year. Don't care if it is a Susuki or a Prevost.
We have four seasons, sometimes three.
Sales tax is generally 9.75 combined.
Now, guess where.

Where are you talking about?

Thanks

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Sonny54 wrote:
I've heard (though I do not know the details) that SD is problematic because of health insurance issues.

If you're under 65 and must purchase your own medical health insurance, then currently FL is the better option.

FL, unlike SD and TX, offers health plans that are "portable" as they have nationwide networks.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Just one other twist to consider...A RV with Full sleep, kitchen & bath facilities qualifies as a 1st or 2nd home. As such, you can deduct the interest paid on the loan from u'r income tax. The only question that this causes is ... do you than have to pay Florida yearly Real Estate taxes on u'r 'Home'?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Florida has no special licenses or inspections. Florida is perhaps the only state left with nationwide health-insurance networks.

Escapees mail Florida forwarded to Texas is somewhat preposterous; you can have a mail box in Florida that is just as valid as Texas. It's legally a street address.
-jbh-

Hey JBH,

So we are looking to hit the road again in our Motorhome,  so please, correct me if I'm wrong, we could get a PO Box in Forida and that would consitute a physical address in Fl?

Thank you

Not sure if you were aware but this is a 7 yr old thread. But since the patriot act, you need a physical address to verify state of residency and usually a utility bill. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Texas has a vehicle inspection program, so if you register there, likely the rv will need to be inspected shortly after the rv enters TX (a TX domiciles person could tell you more; we use FL)
What about health insurance? If you are buying individual policy consider FL, as it has policies on the exchange with nationwide provider network...at least this year...hopefully or many more.

rvadventure2
Explorer
Explorer
Sonny54 wrote:
We're looking at domicile options. Since we'll be full time RVing, but not retired, we want to eliminate the state income tax, so we're looking at options via Escapees. Texas and Florida seem to be the best choices, but I'm wondering if one is better than the other. Geography is not an issue.

2 other states that are real good is the state of Washington, and Nevada. Regards