cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Buy and Old Motorhome Unless...

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you know exactly what it needs in repairs, replacements and upgrades for safe and reliable driving and enjoyment, and you have the money to pay for parts and labor (or) you have all the skills, tools, materials and time and work space to do most of the work yourself. Look for any signs of water damage, mold smell, etc. Don't rely on the seller's honesty, have the rig inspected by a pro truck mechanic and an RV repair service and get estimates before you buy it. If the seller balks at this, run!! Don't buy on impulse. Try to make sure that the length, floor plan and features, including sleeping arrangements fits your forseable needs and desires. If possible, save your money until you can buy a rig no more than 3 years old, needs nothing, and is ready for cross-country travel. Cost of ownership of an RV is not cheap, do not buy on impulse. Do your homework before you buy.

I will not repeat this same mantra again.
45 REPLIES 45

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We need a "smug face" icon.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Dang! I only have 9k to spend with about 4 k in addition allocated to motorhome update, repairs, etc.

I guess, I need to lick my wounds and go home, because I will not be getting into motorhoming any time soon 😞

Have no idea why you think that you can not do it. Watch what you buy put new tires on it if they are over 5 years old and head out. Do not worry about updates and just repair what has to be repaired to get you down the road and back anything else do as the budget allows.

I was being facetious :B
Duh how I was I to know I could not see your face:S
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
TyroneandGladys wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Dang! I only have 9k to spend with about 4 k in addition allocated to motorhome update, repairs, etc.

I guess, I need to lick my wounds and go home, because I will not be getting into motorhoming any time soon 😞

Have no idea why you think that you can not do it. Watch what you buy put new tires on it if they are over 5 years old and head out. Do not worry about updates and just repair what has to be repaired to get you down the road and back anything else do as the budget allows.

I was being facetious :B
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 10+ year old RV. Had to fix a few minor things but it was great.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Age is not the problem, how it was maintained is. I have seen 15 and 20 year old units in better shape than many 3 year old units

tomrj
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 83 27' Automate on a ford e350 chassis w/44k on it for 2k and will have put another 2k into it. So far have rebuilt carb, flushed cooling system, new oil, filter plugs etc on the 460ci, rebuilt brakes from master cylinder on, greased and installed new seals on all wheel bearing, fixed electrical issues, rebuilt gen. carb., lubed chassis and drive line, ground and resealed roof, and resealed around all running lights and windows.Tomorrow well install ew shocks and front end bushings. Were planning on taking it down to the Bodega bay area and leaving it there and using it as on the weekends. It's been a LOT of work but now I know a lot about the rig and should be able to fix any issues that come up.Also were were able to get into RV'ing because of the low cost of an older rig, but with less than 5K into it I'd feel comfortable to take it anywhere.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not me. I have to buy used because I'm not exactly rich... In reality, I'm just middle class. But I want to stay out of debt. So I buy old ones and fix em.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ing46ram
Explorer
Explorer
For mothers day 2013 I took my wife for 2 days to a campground at the beach.
It was the first time in our new to us 1986 Leisure-Craft class c motorhome.
Saw it Craigslist a year ago had to have it.(crazy) and started dreaming going places ever since.
Well, the maiden voyage went well and I was able to shake of the feelings of self doubt and end questioning my sanity for having bought such an old Class C. All is well that ends well they say .
Did find some things that need improvement such as the city water intake leaked(to the outside). Also thought we could use more room to maneuver , wife and I and the dog.
So I replaced the water connection, cut the seat for 2 down to one and reconfigured the rear sleeping area since it was too small for 2 anyways.
An other thing is the rooftop a/c unit a Emerson Quiet kool has a noisy fan. I removed the motor and am now looking for a replacement. ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND ONE.?
We had a great time, so the moral of the story is old does not have to mean junk.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I kinda like my 78 Dodge Class C powered by a carbureted 440ci.and my 1970 British Bedford CF Bedouin...powered by a 1975cc Vauxhall cast iron wonder.

More class than the boxey looking newer ones.
When they break chances are vice grips will get them going...rather than standing there phoning for some kind of technician in white coveralls.

The only real drawback is pulling the old Dodge into an RV site amongst the boxeys.
Many seem to get their dinks in a knot thinking the guy pulling in must be some type of mass murderer.

The Bedford many think some dope smoking hippy has arrived. lol

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't mean to stir up controversy. Of course, if you have all the skills, etc., needed to repair or replace whatever is needed, chassis and house box, and you know what it'll need, you can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy an old rig. If you intend to camp within a 100 mile radius of home or do extensive cross-country touring that may be a factor to consider.