Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double pane window

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
I am thinking of purchasing a 2017 bounder 33c or the Allegro 31sa. after looking at all the specs, I am still not sure if Fleetwood puts double pane windows in their rv. Allegro says it installs 1/4 inch windows. Does anyone know what type of windows Fleetwood installs?
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA
21 REPLIES 21

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My '02 Winnie has double pane and overall they are 3/8" thick. That's 2 panes of glass and the 3/16" separator. Each individual pane is 3/32" thick.

In the Allegro's case, I doubt that the glass itself is 1/4" thick, that would be unusual. Possible of course, but I'd sure check on it with some research, maybe a trip to a dealer to look.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffen builds their own windows, so they are unique. At least in the DPs, the windows were double pane - very thick double pane.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
Hank MI wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
Just my 2 cents on double pane windows. We camp year 'round and in cold weather, double pane makes a huge difference in condensation (motorhomes are so closed up humidity goes up and a cold window will condense water or frost over). People who store their RVs all winter (and there are many) won't see any real advantage to double pane but will have to deal with the issue of eventually resealing them. Your preferred way of camping should dictate your window choice. I would think if they say 1/4 inch, that is going to be single pane. If you see tilt out windows, that's single. All double pane I have seen have been sliders.

!/4" is the typical thickness of the spacer between the 2 panes of glass in a slider double pane window. Our MH also has tilt out windows in the bedroom that are also thermo pane or double pane. They have a smaller spacer, don't remember for sure but either 3/16" or 1/8". If the tilt out window sits on the outside of the frame then it's going to be single pane. If it sits done inside the frame when closed then it could be double pane. We had a Fleetwood Bounder and it had double pane windows, can't say for sure that Fleetwood uses double panes in all their MHs.

I believe the 1/4" he's speaking of is the glass thickness, not a space between panes. My parents Allegro had that.

With that said, we've had single pane and double pane windows. For me I wouldn't consider single panes ever again. It would be a deal breaker.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Do they manufacture double pane low E windows for motor homes? Are they quite a bit more expensive than single pane non low E?

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Just my 2 cents on double pane windows. We camp year 'round and in cold weather, double pane makes a huge difference in condensation (motorhomes are so closed up humidity goes up and a cold window will condense water or frost over). People who store their RVs all winter (and there are many) won't see any real advantage to double pane but will have to deal with the issue of eventually resealing them. Your preferred way of camping should dictate your window choice. I would think if they say 1/4 inch, that is going to be single pane. If you see tilt out windows, that's single. All double pane I have seen have been sliders.

!/4" is the typical thickness of the spacer between the 2 panes of glass in a slider double pane window. Our MH also has tilt out windows in the bedroom that are also thermo pane or double pane. They have a smaller spacer, don't remember for sure but either 3/16" or 1/8". If the tilt out window sits on the outside of the frame then it's going to be single pane. If it sits done inside the frame when closed then it could be double pane. We had a Fleetwood Bounder and it had double pane windows, can't say for sure that Fleetwood uses double panes in all their MHs.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the Tiffins. They make a great coach and the Allegro 31sa is a very nice RV. Bounders are okay to me, but Allegro I've always seen as underrated. Allegro reminds me of a coach that is budget minded (like bounder) yet is really pretty good quality (Bounder is OK too).

Go through each coach very well. Look at how stuff is fastened to the walls and detailed construction. I think it will help you - AND you are also doing a great research job going into window details. 🙂 Proud to see this.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer