cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Considering downsizing from a 36 foot Sightseer to a much smaller 28 foot or so, possibly a Thor Class A. I realize we would be giving up many amenities but at 80 towing a car is difficult and we would use the smaller RV for in-town transportation if a rental is unavailable. Having said that, all you experts, I have 2 questions: 1. Do you have any knowledge of service issues with Thor beyond those expected in the first-year warranty? 2. Have you dealt with Camping World? I read that, although they are spread throughout the US, they are incredibly slow in servicing their customers.
19 REPLIES 19

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
paddykernahan wrote:
We upsized from a pop-up to a Class B+ (OK I know it is really a Class C).
We decided on a Pleasure-Way Plateau XLMB.

Certainly is a C, so why not just call it a C and be done with it.
Expensive as well and must have something to do with the MB emblem.

The industry is calling it a B+. You don't have to like it, but you don't get to change it. Airstream B+
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling one plug to drive out of our site is just no big deal. It is far outweighed by the short notice "honey, pull over here" stops we can make that we could never do in our 36 plus toad.

It's why they make more than one size.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
It is less than 23 feet long and 7'7" wide.
Very easy to use Murphy bed that can stay made up including pillows when folded away. Takes about one minute to deploy.
Huge bathroom with separate shower made of Corian with glass door.
Everything is very high quality.

At 22 foot we can park almost anywhere and never plan to bring a toad.

Certainly is a C, so why not just call it a C and be done with it.
Expensive as well and must have something to do with the MB emblem.
There appears to be quite a savings if you drop back a few years and don't see how it could be hurt at all. In fact the bugs should be out of it by that time and it won't cost 15%, getting it home.
As said, you'll get tired of constantly unhooking and setting up for going to town, but to each his own, on that one.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
It is less than 23 feet long and 7'7" wide.
Very easy to use Murphy bed that can stay made up including pillows when folded away. Takes about one minute to deploy.
Huge bathroom with separate shower made of Corian with glass door.
Everything is very high quality.

At 22 foot we can park almost anywhere and never plan to bring a toad.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
JackInAZ wrote:
Considering downsizing from a 36 foot Sightseer to a much smaller 28 foot or so, possibly a Thor Class A. I realize we would be giving up many amenities but at 80 towing a car is difficult and we would use the smaller RV for in-town transportation if a rental is unavailable. Having said that, all you experts, I have 2 questions: 1. Do you have any knowledge of service issues with Thor beyond those expected in the first-year warranty? 2. Have you dealt with Camping World? I read that, although they are spread throughout the US, they are incredibly slow in servicing their customers.

Neither CW or Thor have a reputation worth writing home about. Not my opinion, necessarily, so search the forums.
As for downsizing, don't do it IMO and for going places, you'll find it's not your size that's a problem, but the tear down and setting back up, that's a PITA and especially with returning on a dark rainy night.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
JackInAZ wrote:
MRUSA wrote:
I really don’t understand why towing is so difficult for you. For me it is simple as pie.

Hmmmmm, maybe it has something to do with 100 days in the hospital, discitis, and compressed spine following a fall. But glad it's easy for you!

I understand completely.
I'm 59 and I've come to the conclusion that I don't bend nearly as easily as I did even 2 years ago.:)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
I really don’t understand why towing is so difficult for you. For me it is simple as pie.

Hmmmmm, maybe it has something to do with 100 days in the hospital, discitis, and compressed spine following a fall. But glad it's easy for you!

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I really don’t understand why towing is so difficult for you. For me it is simple as pie. Four down and I can hook up or unhook in 5 minutes or less with no lifting and just a little bending. If you are unable to bend down, I get it. Otherwise I don’t see why you cannot tow easily. Are you using a dolly? That might explain it.

Personally I would not RV if I could not tow a car behind. It would just be too limiting.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love my 2013 Thor Chateau 22e. I use it a couple times a month. Very very few problems. I camp mostly in SoCal so I think it holds up better in the dry rain free climate. I couldn't be happier and would never consider "upsizing" to a Class A.
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
The decision has been made. We keep what we have because all the smaller RVs (including the Winnebagos) just don't match our 2016 Sightseer in quality. We'd be giving up heat pump, 50A, real faucets (the newer smaller RVs now all seem to have plastic), and the list goes on. We were reminded of the great deal we got in the Sightseer and we agree (we bought it new for $99K). We'll give up towing unless we're staying in one spot throughout, say, the winter. We'll stock up enroute to the next location and if we can't rent a car there we just don't need to go anywhere. Life is too short to sweat it.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are Thor forums... check them out. They could even discuss the particular model you're interested in getting... pros and cons.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I can certainly understand at 80 why you are considering downsize. I have seen many happy people in Class B rigs, often parked where I can only get with the toad. They are able to get right into the best views, etc. I don't think you will see much benefit dropping to a smaller Class A, try a B.

I won't EVER go back to CW for any possible reason. I don't like Marcus Lemonis and I hate his company and his employee's attitude regardless if it is service, parts, or the front showroom. I actually never liked the original CW, but I made the mistake of buying this rig there and I'm cured. I call it a rescue of a good MH from their clutches rather than a purchase. It's not just one or two around me, all three near here are terrible.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
From our experience just a few thoughts. We went from a 24’ class B no toad to our present 34’ class A with toad. We feel the length of the rv is less of an issue than the height and width are. Dropping 6’ of length for a unit about the same width and height will not give much more ease of driving around town IMHO. We tried rental as well and found it expensive and very inconvenient. It might work if you are staying in one place, but can be a pain to actually do.

Is your toad on a dolly or trailer? If so, try one that can be towed all four down. We have found this quite easy and the two of us can hook up or disconnect in just a few minutes. Much easier that crawling around strapping car to a dolly.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Guess I will jump on...I moved from 35'FW to a 30' Thor ACE. I have not had any problems with the Thor product. Yes there are the loose nuts and bolts, but any unit from any mfg is going to have that. I would check out the Thor forum for some more feed back. As for CW I purchased mine at the Cedar Falls Iowa location. I felt they treaded me very well on all aspects of the unit. I think as said each CW is so different its hard to compare.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly