cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drive Shaft Brake/Parking Brake works only in one direction

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Winnebago Brave on a Workhorse Chassis has a drum brake on the rear of the transmission that works as both the parking and emergency brake. Right now it functions fine if my front end it higher than the rear, but facing downhill it won't keep the rig from rolling. My mechanic says it sounds like it is simply a matter of replacing the drum shoes but that didn't seem logical to me since the brake appears to hold in one direction. Then again I guess when I'm parked with the front end higher it may just be the transmission gears holding the vehicle? Any suggestions before my guy starts tearing it up is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably a simple matter of adjusting the brake shoes. As already noted, you need to be able to turn the drive shaft to get a feel for the correct adjustment. I just lift the rear tires off the ground and support the MH with jack stands. Also you'll need to have the transmission in neutral for the brake to be in the released mode. If memory serves me correctly, you'll need to have the ignition key in the on position also. Look at the brake drum and you'll see a removable clip. Remove the clip and turn the slot to the top to see the adjusting star. I adjust the shoes as tight as I can and then back off the adjuster until the brake drum turns free.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may well need a new shoe (Though LOGICALLY it would work the same in both directions it is possible that a new shoe (Replace both) may be indicated

It is also possible that simple adjustment is all you need. This is not the easiest task but basically tighten up on the yoke a few turns at a time till either you get resistance (you need to drop the drive shaft to check for resistance) or they work right. If Resistance re-shoe.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar MH and the brake holds good in either direction. I am not positive but I think there is an adjustment for the Autopark brake. If that does not work you probably need new brake shoes or possibly something else is wrong.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, it should hold in either direction. In fact it's part of Wash Dot testing to try and let the clutch out with it engaged (assuming manual trans of course). It should stall the engine when doing so.
I would let him change it.