cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers license requirements

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40ft. The Fleetwood brochure list the "bumper to bumper" length as 40'11" . In the same brochure both models 40J and 40L are listed as 39'11" overall length. All three models are riding on the spartan liberty chassis. For licensing purposes what length controls, the model designation or measured length?

I appreciate feedback from someone knowledgeable about this subject

Thank you
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R
61 REPLIES 61

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
bigbillsd wrote:
I copyied this from another forum I posted it to prior to buying my 40QDP in January.

I spent a few hours at the California DMV and then a local CHP office today confirming what the real license requirements are for a 40' motorhome in CA.
The 4 DMV offices were of no help. The License office, Driver Safety office, DMV Investigation office and the regular DMV office. All came back with they weren't actually sure what the handbook meant. While at the Safety office a local SDPD officer heard my questions and suggested I stop by a local CHP office. That was then my next stop. I spent an hour with a awesome CHP officer that looked up each of my questions in the vehicle code book. (a very large book!)

Here is what we found out:
California Class C license is all that is needed up to 40' "housecar" in CA.
They are exempt from the Class C 26k weight restriction
They are exempt from any Air Brake certification.
No extra braking requirement for the Toad, unless from 20 MPH it takes more than 50' to stop.
Also, if the manufacturer calls it a 40' motorhome on the plate, then even if its 41', its still licensed as a 40' motorhome.

I hope this helps others in CA as it was a confusing mess from the CA docs and all the info showing it both ways on all the forums I looked at over the last few months. BTW. The CA DMV uses the term housecar, not motorhome. Go figure.. -Bill

Thank You Bill. That looks like very good information. You have saved me many hours of research. My only real issue was wanting to avoid the bi-annual medical certification. Thanks again.

Mike
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have searched the CA vehicle code quite a bit, and I have never seen where it says they go by model designation.

Also, thats not what the CHP officer I talked to said. He said the law specifically states "any house care over 40' requires the Class B NCDL" Therefore if your mh is a 1/4" over 40', it applies to you.

As i previously stated, i seriously doubt if a CHP office will pull out a measuring tape under a routine stop for something else...but if you're involved in an accident, all bets are off. And you can be sure that your insurance company will make an issue of it.

So, I really don't see what the problem is. If your coach (in CA) is over 40 in actual measured length....why not go ahead and get the Class B NCDL?

ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
nevadanick wrote:
Msmith1199, i read the total length as you do but somewhere i also read that they went by model disignation, now if i can find it again.

That isn't in the vehicle code, but if your motorhome says 39 foot on the decal by the door and it's really 40'4" I doubt any CHP officer is actually going to pull out a tape measure and I know that City cops wouldn't.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Was just looking for it but cant find it, but interesting find is that if i have a pickup with a gvwr over 11,500 i could tow doubles and be up to 75ft. Under 11,500 and its 65ft. Before i went the mh route i towed doubles, first being a fifth with a second trlr and then 2 bumper pulls for several years. I just might go back to doubles.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Msmith1199, i read the total length as you do but somewhere i also read that they went by model disignation, now if i can find it again.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigbillsd wrote:
I copyied this from another forum I posted it to prior to buying my 40QDP in January.

I spent a few hours at the California DMV and then a local CHP office today confirming what the real license requirements are for a 40' motorhome in CA.
The 4 DMV offices were of no help. The License office, Driver Safety office, DMV Investigation office and the regular DMV office. All came back with they weren't actually sure what the handbook meant. While at the Safety office a local SDPD officer heard my questions and suggested I stop by a local CHP office. That was then my next stop. I spent an hour with a awesome CHP officer that looked up each of my questions in the vehicle code book. (a very large book!)

No extra braking requirement for the Toad, unless from 20 MPH it takes more than 50' to stop.
Also, if the manufacturer calls it a 40' motorhome on the plate, then even if its 41', its still licensed as a 40' motorhome.

I hope this helps others in CA as it was a confusing mess from the CA docs and all the info showing it both ways on all the forums I looked at over the last few months. BTW. The CA DMV uses the term housecar, not motorhome. Go figure.. -Bill

And I concur with all that except the length. The section specifically says the measured length excluding safety bumpers and mirrors.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Just all the more reason to stay out of California. Suits me fine.

CA driver license requirements don't apply to out of state registered vehicles and licensed drivers. This is true in every state.

Simply put, if you're legally licensed to drive your coach in the state that issued your license, you're legal to drive in any state.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just all the more reason to stay out of California. Suits me fine.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bigbillsd
Explorer
Explorer

40' 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus QDP

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I have to take about my earlier statement about clarity of laws, because the way you are trying to read it makes sense, but it is not how the law is interpreted. So I take it back, it is a gray area. But both CHP and DMV say you do not need to have a Class B license to drive a motorhome (any motorhome) unless it is over 40 feet long.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
non-commercial class B for 40' but not exceed 45'
non commercial class B for any motorhouse (2 axle) over 26,000 lbs.

non-commercial class A deals with trailer and truck combos over 10,000 lbs., triple axles, FW, and more.

No, on the 26,000 pound limit. Motorhomes are specifically exempted from that section. That applies to trucks.

a bit of a gray area. A CA class C license is valid on two axles up to 26,000 lbs. and anything above that requires a class B. Normally this would lead to a commercial class B but since a motorhouse is not for hire you can get the non-commercial class B and be legal. I would doubt it is ever enforced but if you operate a 2 axle over 26,000 lbs. with a class C you are driving with the wrong class license. While the regulations are geared toward charter buses it unfortunately overlaps onto motorhomes.

Nope, not a gray area at all. Motorhomes (Called House Cars in the California vehicle code) only require a Class B if over 40 foot in length. They are specifically exempted by section 12804.9(b)(3)(C) of the California Vehicle Code which describes vehicles that can be driven with a Class C license. ANY motorhome (house car) under 40 feet in length can be driven with a Class C regardless of weight.

I would love to find this exemption. I am pretty familiar with section 12804.9 but my feeble mind can't find the exemption. I have seen the (3)(C) which states class C license for house car under 40' but in (3)(A) in states less than 26,000 lbs. for a class C license. While a class C meets the under 40' it does not meet the under 26,000lbs so technically you must have a class B. I doubt they exist but you could have a 45' MH that weighed less than 26,000 lbs. which would fall under class C but because you don't meet the length you are required Class B. not for commercial allows you to apply for non-commercial.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
All of this conflicting info is exactly my point in a previous post. Seasoned Rv'ers - let alone vague and conflicting laws make it very difficult to know for sure. You think a LEO pulling you over will know and if they did check all parameters? My guess is no.

Most of the laws are not vague, but they also are not easy to read. Lawyers write these laws and they are usually pretty precise but at the same time hard to read. For example a person here mentioned the 26,000 GVWR under California law. And that person is accurate about the law. In fact if you read California law you will find a law that says in order to operate a vehicle with a GVWR of over 26,000 pounds you must have a commercial class B license. If you stop there you would think that was the law. But if you keep reading under the list of vehicles you can drive with a class C is lists ANY motorhome under 40 feet in length. So confusing yes, but not vague, it's pretty clear.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
discovery4us wrote:

non-commercial class A deals with trailer and truck combos over 10,000 lbs., triple axles, FW, and more.

No, on the 26,000 pound limit. Motorhomes are specifically exempted from that section. That applies to trucks.

a bit of a gray area. A CA class C license is valid on two axles up to 26,000 lbs. and anything above that requires a class B. Normally this would lead to a commercial class B but since a motorhouse is not for hire you can get the non-commercial class B and be legal. I would doubt it is ever enforced but if you operate a 2 axle over 26,000 lbs. with a class C you are driving with the wrong class license. While the regulations are geared toward charter buses it unfortunately overlaps onto motorhomes.

Nope, not a gray area at all. Motorhomes (Called House Cars in the California vehicle code) only require a Class B if over 40 foot in length. They are specifically exempted by section 12804.9(b)(3)(C) of the California Vehicle Code which describes vehicles that can be driven with a Class C license. ANY motorhome (house car) under 40 feet in length can be driven with a Class C regardless of weight.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

strudeau
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:

A Non Commercial A, will allow you to drive any Non Commercial B vehicle under California DMV License Requirements. Same test requirements, medical etc. just pointing this out for anybody that may have the Non Commercial A because they're pulling a 5ver, and then moving up to a Class A over 40' and/or 26,000lbs.
Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
discovery4us wrote: