cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving tips - newbie here

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here - Have a 35 foot MH. Towing a small car. Searching various posts but unable to find any advice about when and how to shift to lower or higher gears. Recengly went for small weekend jaunt. Towed the car. used the "tow haul" button. Noticed when going down some small hills when I pressed the brake it felt like the engine would go to a lower gear all on its own. Didn't know how to get out of it. Also watched rpms climb...so again how do I get out of it when rpms get to high. Tried to downshift to 3rd but that seemed to push the rpms higher. Anyways...any info greatly appreciated...thanks..
23 REPLIES 23

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
Someone asked for engine specifics. I have a Ford Triton V10. thank you for the advice so far!

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Allison transmission, which it sounds like you do, this is completely normal and will not over rev your engine.
Read the Allison manual and it will tell you what it's doing and why.

I don't think I'd own a gas MH without a "Grade Brake". Just leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie with a 40' DP!

nevermind Fire... I jumped right into the blast furnace!!

Mal

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A newbie with a 35 foot MH? Nothing like jumping into the fire...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
From what everyone says on here the Ford V10 is a higher revving engine than the Chevrolet 8.1L. 4-5000 is OK on the Ford. When I hit 4000 on my 8.1L i am at about the peak of where I want to be. The have to make up for the lower displacement somehow and RPMs do the trick.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Goatee
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post, I want to see the responses. I too have a 35' gasser on Ford Chassis, 2012. I have the same experience the OP said, and worry about how high the rpm's go. I will touch the gas and then lightly tap the brake to 'bring it down'. Does it do damage for the rpm's to get up to say, 4500-5000?

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know what chassis you have. Also the year.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have "Grade braking" in your transmission, touch the brakes and the transmission downshifts to use the engine compression to assist in braking. To stop the grade braking you have to press the throttle just a little and it should come out of grade braking. But then you need to use the brake pedal again because you are definetly going to fast down the mountain. You can also manually downshift the transmission to find the right gear to slow you down without letting the RPM's get to high. It would help if you posted what engine and transmission you have, and you will get more detailed instructions on how to operate that transmission. Always slow down before you start going down a mountain and then engage your grade braking.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
This is normal when going down a hill and when you are using tow haul. Just apply the brakes as needed to slow your speed and this will reduce the rpm's. When you are ready to speed-up apply gas and your transmission will shift into a higher gear again.