cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric help.

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 1991 cornado. It needs two new coach batteries so I took them out to go get new on Monday. In the meantime I plugged the motorhome into a generator so I could check things out and nothing will work at all. Checked all breakers and fuses and all seem good. Would the batteries being out have anything to do with it?
11 REPLIES 11

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The type of battery charger/converter used in a 1991 MH may not work with out a battery on line.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Did the power work prior to you buying the coach?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
msturtz wrote:
In short yes the 12VDC items may not work. The converter depending on make and model may or may not power up and power the coach with no batteries.

Possibly not.. RV's come in 30 and 50 amp versions, Some have somethign called an Energy management System (There are two devices that carry this name) The one I'm thinking of is the Intelletec (And any competitors) this unit is a computer that monitors power usage and can shut off selected loads as needed to keep you below 29 amps

IT EATS BATTERY POWER and has control over the water heater, A/C's and microwave.

Most other stuff save the TV (And sometimes even the TV) needs 12 volt to work. Firdge, Water heater, Air conditioners all eat 12 volt DC for control purposes.

The other EMS (energy manager/monitor) is the Progressive Industries type.. Though theirs easts 120 from the shore, It is possible a competitor's might eat 12 volt for the computer. Though I've never seen one.. But then I've only seen baswically 4 (30/50 PI/TRC)

There are other posibilities as well.

If this is a trailer (no built in generator) I would start by making a test lamp. This is a 120 volt lamp (Say 15 watt) in a socket with pigtails (you can get such a socket at hardware) extend the pigtials if you wish, put probes on the ends. And using great care cause if you do not very bad thigns can happen "Polk around" See if you have power at the MAIN circuit breaker in the breaker box (Measure to the whtie bus) then at the branch breakers (Same thing) as your first step

IF you are in a motor home with a generator, Then there is the Transfer Switch to consider... It too can (in theory) eat 12 volts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some coaches have the convertor wired to the batteries, if the battery cables are loose, the convertors power cannot get to the fuse panel. Another scenerio, loose batery cable touched/shorted to ground and blew the fuse on the convertor.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Please clarify whether any of the 120 volt items work? Microwave? Air conditioner?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Yes and no. Your converter through your Batteries from the 120v ac shore power provide 12v dc power to your lights, water pump, furnace, fridge, etc. - basic essentials.
120v ac shore power is required to power outlets, a/c, microwave etc. and to recharge the batteries via the converter unless you use a generator to power the system.

Batteries out should t make a difference as long as the converter is powered by 120 ac, doing its job to dc., feeding the dc system. ATC Fuses on the converter could be suspect.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Except any 120 volt device that has a 12 volt DC control device.

Mandalay Parr wrote:
All your 120volt stuff should work without batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Genset should power up the converter and supply 120 volt items..
I would start by plugging known good appliance into the genset.
I am guessing that you are using an adapter that may not be any good.
Make and model of genset?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and no. Your converter through your Batteries from the 120v ac shore power provide 12v dc power to your lights, water pump, furnace, fridge, etc. - basic essentials.
120v ac shore power is required to power outlets, a/c, microwave etc. and to recharge the batteries via the converter unless you use a generator to power the system.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
All your 120volt stuff should work without batteries.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
In short yes the 12VDC items may not work. The converter depending on make and model may or may not power up and power the coach with no batteries.
FMCA member