cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric propane switch killing batteries

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I have a LTFS. It seems that the electronic switch that turns on the propane kills the batteries overnight. Has anyone had this problem?
9 REPLIES 9

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. The batteries are brand new and are replacing a set I bought two years ago. I think I will try replacing the solenoid.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
A solenoid of that size will draw in worst case and I am sure it is less, about .5 amps. Do the math. In 24 hours that is 12.5 amps. This is a very simple problem. Batteries are buckets full of marbles (amps). When batteries get old the buckets become weak and cannot hold as many marbles as when new.

It would be a very rare case that batteries would last that long in any RV. Most are gone way before that.

Load testing them is a real waste of time. We don't buy batteries, we rent them. That is to say that batteries must be replaced every few years.

If you had a solenoid bad enough to run two batteries down in one night you would have some serious smoke.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

hwybnb
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge has a mode switch that allows locking it in propane mode so it will not switch to electric. We leave it in that mode when running on battery power.

I agree with the earlier post about possibly needing to replace your batteries.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
My first thought would be you are out of propane or have it turned off and something, most likely the refer is trying to ignite propane. If you are outside by the fridge access panel when the batteries are charged is there a clicking noise?
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a Saf-T-Alert propane safety valve and sensor. If you turn it off, no current flows, if you leave it on, the solenoid is engaged and draws what would be called a parasitic draw and there is no specific lifetime for the solenoid only for the propane sensor so I doubt that it is drawing more than it did new. I agree with YC1, eight year old batteries should be load tested, I'll bet they won't hold a charge and need replacing.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If the batteries are original it is time for new. No way a solenoid can run healthy batteries down over night.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2006 Leisure Travel Free Spirit. It has two 12v deep cycle batteries. I wonder if the solenoid draws more power as it nears end of life.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above post. More info is needed. Mine stays on from the time I take it from the storage facility till it goes back. I have never had a dead battery from that solenoid. What makes you think it is the LP fuel trip?
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info. Make, year, model of vehicle plus what type battery do you have for the house?
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford