Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of generator rope.

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks.

End of my rope. Have tied knot. Just purchased after much research one of the 3500k-4000k champion ginnys. My roof top is a 59517 13.5k Dometic. I cant for the life of me get this thing to power my AC. I have 2 neighbors that run these ginnys perfectly on their rigs. One has a coleman and one a Dometic.

Took my 1st ginny back to Camping World. The manager said, after testing, that the output was bad. No money back , but traded out for new. Same story Champion ginny will not run the unit.

researched the Dometic website. watts and startup on my AC are well within the limits of the generator.

Any ideas out there ????. Got the idiot treatment from Champion they told me to plug the camper into the ginny...lol. Maybe it will run a blender for frozen concoctions.

Need to warn new purchasers.
20 REPLIES 20

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Another "obvious" question....is the breaker for the A/C tripped?

That 3500W genset should handle the A/C. Are you getting voltage out of the genset? Are you getting voltage at the 110VAC panel in the RV? Are you getting voltage to the A/C unit on the roof?

It's a step by step process, but each step should eliminate or narrow down your problem.

Good luck:) And be careful...that 110VAC can kick you on your butt!!
If you don't feel comfortable working with it, find a friend who is.:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Will one of your buddies gen run your AC? Will your gen run theirs?

Maybe something other than the gen causing your issues.

Paul

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this sounds obvious, but you are plugged into the dedicated 30 amp RV receptable on the Generator?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what is the output of the ginny? Have one of your friends check it that has the same unit.

Walterm
Explorer
Explorer
Try renting one first then you know what size/type is going to work for you.
Walter

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if when CW said the first one was bad, could the batch they have on hand be faulty. As for Champion, I had frequent conversations with their techs in research one for my home, and I can say they were super in all aspects. Can you put your hands on a loaner and see if it runs your a/c...this eliminates one area. Keep us up on the events to resolve, we all learn from each other. Safe travels.