cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enlarge Phone GPS screen

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
I am using my Iphone as GPS but want to make the screen larger to view. Does anyone have a suggestion for a dash mounted magnifier that will allow me to moutn phone and view larger screen?
Bo and Jo Brister
Retired U.S. Army "Sapper"
6 Furry family members (Elphie, Army, Cinnabun, Maxx, Rosci and Manu)
2017 Minnie Winnie Class C
"Freedom is not free, it is because of our brave Military that we have Freedom today"
13 REPLIES 13

NWboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Do you find the phone GPS costs a lot of data downloading maps as you drive?
I like the idea of the standalone GPS with its built in maps of the whole country.
And keeping my phone in my pocket.

For those of you concerned with GPS using data, use an offline GPS app which relies on pre-loaded maps just like standalone. More info here. When taking this approach you probably want to use an Android device with cheap SD card expansion instead of paying Apple prices for extra storage.
'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I think that after a while, you'll find that you just listen to the instructions and rarely need to look at the screen.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
If you do a search on Google to display output from Iphone to tablet or TV there are several ways of doing so, one being apple lightning to HDMI. Depending on what you already have around the house it might be in expensive.

LEN

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I have unlimited data with ATT and it doesn't really add that much to our family plan. I like the idea of being able to use the phone since I have it anyway and see no reason to buy a GPS when I have the same thing for free within the APPS. I think that I will just get a phone holder, mount to dash and listen to the instructions. Just wanted to see the screen larger but does't seem like that will work out.
Bo and Jo Brister
"Freedom is not free, it is because of our brave Military that we have Freedom today"

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
I suppose it could be done with a TV screen and an Apple TV box to display iPhone screen. However, this would cost more than a good standalone GPS and probably not work reliably.

I like the idea of the standalone GPS with its built in maps of the whole country.

Get a standalone GPS, problem solved! No hassle with trying to make a work around functional.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my phone GPS and location features turned off, until I need them. This saves some on data usage.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose it could be done with a TV screen and an Apple TV box to display iPhone screen. However, this would cost more than a good standalone GPS and probably not work reliably.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly hook it up to a small digital TV via the HDMI port?
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
It's an Iphone 5C so it doesn't have mirroring to tablet. I thought that there was going to be something that was simple to mount to dash and would amplify the screen.
Bo and Jo Brister

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Does the iPhone have screen mirroring to tablet?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
something like this?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I guess I can't find exactly what I'm looking for there. I want to mount it to the dash, plug the phone in behind it or with it and have a larger screen than the 5C provides
Bo and Jo Brister

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon shows a few.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman