cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ethanol killing generator--over and over?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer replaced the fuel pump in my ONAN generator because of the ethanol in the gas. He said I might have to do it once or twice a year because the ethanol is eating up the diaphragm in the fuel pump. And ONAN will NOT warranty it because of the ethanol. Why can't a fuel pump be constructed to handle that? Technology does nearly everything else? I may just use my Honda 2000 instead ๐Ÿ˜ž How many of you are having this problem? Any other solutions besides burning pure fuel (yeah, right--7 mpg on 50+ cent higher gas?)
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
27 REPLIES 27

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The ONLY reason that I can possibly see for you to have problems with your Onan generator is that the repairs were done using NEW OLD STOCK parts that may have been manufactured prior to the use of ethanol. 10% ethanol will not cause any issues with modern engines IF you use a gasoline stabilizer or utilize the fuel every two months or so.

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
happy-2 wrote:
Had a 1999 Southwind with a 5500 Onan, and now i have 2006 Southwind with a 5500 Onan,when we get home from a trip I fill up the tank at Costco and Add i quart of Stabil and run it till i get home and park it.Been doing that for 20 years,Run the gen once a month under load, never had a problem. I carry an extra fuel pump and filter but never had to use then, butter safe than sorry.

I do this too. Stabil has helped all my small engines and boat and I put a whole quart of it when storing too. Im just not very good at exercising the ONAN. Will try harder! Thanks for all your input.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 1999 Southwind with a 5500 Onan, and now i have 2006 Southwind with a 5500 Onan,when we get home from a trip I fill up the tank at Costco and Add i quart of Stabil and run it till i get home and park it.Been doing that for 20 years,Run the gen once a month under load, never had a problem. I carry an extra fuel pump and filter but never had to use then, butter safe than sorry.

MrWizard
Latner wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
Ethanol will destroy an engine, but you can help it by adding Seafoam at 1oz/gal of fuel to every tank. My 1999 Onan 5.5 seems to like it!

I like SeaFoam , I put some in my tank last week
But not at that ratio and not every tank

At $10 a can that almost $1 per ounce
At one ounce per gallon
It adds almost $1 per gallon to the price of a fill up

Seafoam @ Menards $6.99. They also have it by the gallon.

around here $10 per 16oz can
AKA 63 cents per oz, (not $1)
plenty high additional cost for 1oz per gallon on an RV fillup
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
Ethanol will destroy an engine, but you can help it by adding Seafoam at 1oz/gal of fuel to every tank. My 1999 Onan 5.5 seems to like it!

At one ounce per gallon

Go to NAPA, they have a private-labelled version made by CRC that is half the price of the brand name stuff.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought a 2005 Class A. in 2005. Onan Generator. Now I have not used it for a few weeks but.. Earlier this month it still ran like a charm.. Choke seems to be sticking a bit but the Technician will fix next oil change (Already scheduled).

Now I have heard of E-10 damaging smaller engines (lawn mowers) but I've never had that problem with any of my small engines. Including the Onan.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
10forty2 wrote:

At one ounce per gallon

Seafoam @ Menards $6.99. They also have it by the gallon.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MarkieBob wrote:
I may just use my Honda 2000 instead ๐Ÿ˜ž
Sell the Onan and replace with lithuim batteries and a large inverter. No exercise or maintenance needed. Charge as needed with the Honda or some solar. ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
10forty2 wrote:

At $10 a can that is 63 cents per ounce
At one ounce per gallon
It adds 63 cents per gallon to the price of a fill up
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My husband retired from a big company (Gas & Electric) that ran line and gas crews. He said they ran the **** out of the Onan Generators, so dependable. They once had a diesel generator and had nothing but problems.
When we're home we run our Onan Generator and our little Honda Generator at least once a month on a full load. We also have tuneups on our Onan every 2 or 3 years from an Authorized Onan Mechanic.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
lryrob9301 wrote:
Your "dealer" is full of ****. That Onan will run on ethanol gasoline just fine. I've had two coaches with Onan 5500 gas generators and they ran with it with no problems.

x2 It's been a long time since engines were updated to accommodate ethanol.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I keep reading all these horrible reports about problems with 10% ethanol fuel.
I don't have any such problems.
My motorhome gets used as a guest house most of the year, except for Ham Radio Field Day in June (when the generator gets a real work out), and the Glacier/Waterton Hamfest in July.
The Field Day trip is about 50 miles one way, and the Hamfest trip is about 350 miles one way. I fill with 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel at each fill-up. In the fall, I top off the tank, plus a hefty shot of Sta-Bil, then it sits all winter (that reminds me, it is about time to do that!). I have never had a fuel problem with the Ford V10 or the Onan generator.
I have a can of mixed 2 cycle fuel (again, 87 octane E10) that is 2 or 3 years old. It still runs the Stihl trimmer just fine. It is mixed with Opti 2 lube and Sta-bil.
My Outdoor Power Equipment fuel cans (three 5 gallon cans), with Sta-Bil), will sit for months over the winter, until the fuel gets used in the ATVs plowing snow. They are also filled with 87 octane 10% ethanol, used in the Kawasaki ATVs, the lawn tractor and the zero-turn mower.
I have had no fuel system problems with any of that equipment.
I find it difficult to believe that the OP's generator problems are caused by E10 fuel.

same here. 2 autos, 2 snowblowers (both 4-cycle), 1 MH and a 1946 Willys CJ2A... all runing on 10% ethenol. the Willysโ€™ engine is original other than the radiator. i do add a lead substitute every few fillups (its my daily driver most of the year) but the ethanol is still present. no fuel related issues. i wish we had a source for 100% gas in my area but then i wish for many things.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I keep reading all these horrible reports about problems with 10% ethanol fuel.
I don't have any such problems.
My motorhome gets used as a guest house most of the year, except for Ham Radio Field Day in June (when the generator gets a real work out), and the Glacier/Waterton Hamfest in July.
The Field Day trip is about 50 miles one way, and the Hamfest trip is about 350 miles one way. I fill with 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel at each fill-up. In the fall, I top off the tank, plus a hefty shot of Sta-Bil, then it sits all winter (that reminds me, it is about time to do that!). I have never had a fuel problem with the Ford V10 or the Onan generator.
I have a can of mixed 2 cycle fuel (again, 87 octane E10) that is 2 or 3 years old. It still runs the Stihl trimmer just fine. It is mixed with Opti 2 lube and Sta-bil.
My Outdoor Power Equipment fuel cans (three 5 gallon cans), with Sta-Bil), will sit for months over the winter, until the fuel gets used in the ATVs plowing snow. They are also filled with 87 octane 10% ethanol, used in the Kawasaki ATVs, the lawn tractor and the zero-turn mower.
I have had no fuel system problems with any of that equipment.
I find it difficult to believe that the OP's generator problems are caused by E10 fuel.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkieBob wrote:
I may just use my Honda 2000 instead ๐Ÿ˜ž How many of you are having this problem?
Don't leave gas (any gas) in your 2000's carburetor very long. Easy to drain.

I think your mechanic has some sort of axe to grind with ethanol fuel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman