cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Evidence of water - deal breaker?

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I just found an RV that we really like the layout, but it has evidence of prior leakage of the roof at the rear end above the bed. The ceiling has ripples indicating where the water had intruded - about a 4' x 5' area. The dealer was upfront about it and said that they have re-sealed it. It's a 2004 Coachmen Freelander 31' and has a rubber roof - asking price $28500. Everything else about it we really like, but I am concerned about the previous leak. How much damage was done underneath to the wood? We haven't seen it in person, but the dealer has forwarded us pictures of the water leak area.
Should this be a deal breaker? It seems that most Class C's that I have looked at have had water issues.
21 REPLIES 21

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
If you ask me, seems like the best idea in the world would be to make your own pressure testing rig (that can blow into a window) from an electric blower and use it to test the roof of any RV you are thinking of buying.

I have documented my experience elsewhere. Visible water damage in the cabover equaled a complete teardown and rebuild. I'm talking hundreds of man hours all by myself and many more with help when assembling larger sub-frame structures. If you are not ready for something that can result in that level of work, then do not buy something with visible water damage.

Jose

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer
I found out after the fact that my roof had a leak. I bought it from a private seller and didn't have much recourse. He admitted that it "used" to have a leak but he paid a RV Dealership to fix it and seal the roof and it hadn't leaked since. I somewhat believe him because most of the time it doesn't leak. But it does bother me because I still can't find that intermittent leak! I've caulked everything! Seems like every RV should have a fiberglass cap or some kind?

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard it once said that the rule of thumb is that the damage you see is 10% of what's really there. After repairing leaks and delam on a 5er of my own I can attest to that.

If they can prove to you with pictures the rotted stuff was replaced (and I assure you there is rot in there) and you can verify for yourself it was resealed and it passes a pressurized leak test only then would I consider, and only after working them down seriously on price.

If it was the floorplan I really wanted with the options I really wanted then I'd think about it after verifying all of the above. But there are so many more units out there.

I had to sell mine below market value to get it to move. I was clear with the sales ad and had pictures to prove the repair, and evidence to show it was done better than factory. I must have done something right because it sold quick, but I knew not to go into la la land and think that my trailer deserved full market price.

Now I shop with a rubber mallet to test the walls / ceiling / floor inside and out ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxx wrote:
I just found an RV that we really like the layout, but it has evidence of prior leakage of the roof at the rear end above the bed. The ceiling has ripples indicating where the water had intruded - about a 4' x 5' area. The dealer was upfront about it and said that they have re-sealed it. It's a 2004 Coachmen Freelander 31' and has a rubber roof - asking price $28500. Everything else about it we really like, but I am concerned about the previous leak. How much damage was done underneath to the wood? We haven't seen it in person, but the dealer has forwarded us pictures of the water leak area.
Should this be a deal breaker? It seems that most Class C's that I have looked at have had water issues.

RUN! Don't walk!

BTW All class C's don't have leaks. Get one with one piece fiberglass end cap and fiberglass roof. (And no window in front in cabover).

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
ever found a dealer you beleave???????????

Nope and I even worked at two (automotive)

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Too much $$$ for something that has water damage. Don't look back

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No way I would buy it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I looked at a Southwind at Canejo RV, she pointed out to one of the sales staff the ripples looked like water damage. As we3 were leaving another rig we heard the salesman telling a work type to replace the panel that was rippled. That was the end of looking at that dealer.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would walk away from any unknown water damage.
It's always many times worse than you think it is.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Impossible to see total damage without removing ceiling and possibly more. Walk away. If you can't find an affordable motorhome, then look at another option such as a smaller FW or TT.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ever found a dealer you beleave???????????

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
But guy said it was just a small leak and had been repaired........:S

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was thinking this was probably a red flag. I'll keep looking.