cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expandable waterhose?

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using those expandable water hoses for your fresh water hose? Just saw an add for the Top Brass Hose. It looks like it would be good for storage...
23 year Active Duty Air Force
Waiting to retire (when I'm done having fun)
Empty Nesting it starting Summer 2016
2003 Damon Escaper 40' 3 slides (my first Class A)
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)
28 REPLIES 28

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently seen this type of hose approved for drinking water. Not likley to buy one as I have enough hoses already.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Well. Just because it is white it doesn't have to be FDA approved.
When I was growing up, I've got disciplined by my parents and even guardians, I play with Mercury flowing in palm of my hand, I was pounding led plumbing with hammers, I was cutting asbestos with hacksaw and likely had 1000's of other things going, that are consider crime today.
Fact is that when somebody call me, I had to run downstairs and stand next to the phone while talking.

Most people had similar childhood experiences. Most survived them. Key word: "MOST"
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well. Just because it is white it doesn't have to be FDA approved.
When I was growing up, I've got disciplined by my parents and even guardians, I play with Mercury flowing in palm of my hand, I was pounding led plumbing with hammers, I was cutting asbestos with hacksaw and likely had 1000's of other things going, that are consider crime today.
Fact is that when somebody call me, I had to run downstairs and stand next to the phone while talking.

raross61
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought all kind of hose an liquidation auction.
The expendable hose broke at the end fitting, but that was easy to fix with hacksaw and hose clamp.
Still that hose is hard to clean, while still taking pretty good storage.
The Reel hose on other hand is FDA approved, but kinks while you breath on it, so you have to be extra careful with it. I also have a feeling that few pulls over concrete will wear out holes in it.
So when Reel hose can be good as a back up, I still carry good white hose for RV hookups.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Really, can't understand what the thinking is when people are told by scientists that the water out of a certain hose is NOT drinkable, and yet they continue to do so. Not a smart move in my mind. I just look at it this way, if a hose is made in a 3rd world country with weak consumer protection, like China, AND, it's marked 'Not for Potable water', I'm not going to be filling my tank using it.

I would like to have one for other purposes though. I'd like to try one for washing the RV and such.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Moffittclan wrote:
Is anyone using those expandable water hoses for your fresh water hose? Just saw an add for the Top Brass Hose. It looks like it would be good for storage...

I got one last year one of the clubs had them. I can't swear it was the "Top Brass" but I honestly think it was. It would have worked fine if I had not left it pressurized with the nozzle closed for about ten seconds.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
I've yet to find one that's certified for potable water. The issue of fitting leaks seems to be a big overriding issue.

Those two issues keep me waiting in the wings.
X-2, I haven't found one that's any good yet!

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Xhoses around the yard. The package they come in specifically states "Do not use for drinking water". Apparently it can do you harm.

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine for flushing the black water tank...flush for 5 minutes remove hose stow it..very handy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I asked about them when they were new and was told to stay away from them "junk".

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies and advice! I think I'll end up getting one for general use but stick with the old white hose for long-term connections.
23 year Active Duty Air Force
Waiting to retire (when I'm done having fun)
Empty Nesting it starting Summer 2016
2003 Damon Escaper 40' 3 slides (my first Class A)
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My concern over them.. You hook up as follows. Close hose outlet valve, Pressurize hose to expand it, hook to RV, all is good..... Mr. Idiot, driving past the Rv Park (note, I'm typing something that actually happened about 75 yards from where I'm typing) Misses the curve.. Care to guess what he did not miss.. Yup, the utility pole.. LIGHTS OUT CG-wide.. I did not worry (do not have that kind of hose) 4.5 hours later Lights on (Meanwhile my batteries held).

The park has well water. So pressure in the lines dropped during that power outage.. This means the expandable hose will contract.. Some of them have enough "pull" they can pull the inlet right off the motor home or damage other things (I've not pulled the inlet off my motor home but I've damaged a few things tugging on a hose).

I do have an expandable hose.. but I only use it for washing the RV, or for tank fill, jobs where if it contracts.. no damage.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times