cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fiberglass roof leak

Dave_Spurgeon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '98 Winnebago Brave with what I assume to be a fiberglass roof. I seem to be accumulating moisture in the left rear corner and in the right side cabinet just in front of the door.

I am looking for advice as to how to seal these leaks and maintain my 15 year old roof. I looked at the EPDM rubber coating website, but I can't see pulling my AC units to follow their instructions perfectly.

Any suggestions as to what product to use or what procedure to take would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

endlesstravel
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, EternaBond is probably the best way to go. I've fixed two seam leaks with it and they're both going 5+ years strong. Good instructions on fixing the damage with EternaBond here http://bestsmallcampers.com/2013/06/07/rv-roof-repair/ You can sometimes find it cheap on ebay.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out ๐Ÿ™‚

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I second using the Externabond tape. I had a small issue where there is a seam in the Fiberglass roof. Eternabond did the trick.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a couple of rolls of Eternabond four inches wide and apply it on all the seams. You will never have a water leak again.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

royl
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago instructions
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

theoldman
Explorer
Explorer
side where the roof fibreglass panel goes into the extrusion on top of the wall.
this is what happen to us this winter.. where the roof and the sides meet, there is a strip that also acts as a gutter. If you look down on it , you might see that it needs cleaned out and new seal put in . I redid the whole side of mine cleaning out all the old and useing the selfsceling culk . and that fixed it.
'Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today'

Dave_Spurgeon
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions as to how to do that?

webhannet
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to consider is errosion or faults in the fiberglass itself. I experienced tiny holes in the fiberglass in a single area - no idea why. The cure was to FIND the tiny holes and re-gelcoat the area.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check the seams at the side where the roof fibreglass panel goes into the extrusion on top of the wall. The adhesive (poly urethane adhesive/sealant will start to separate or crack. If it becomes too bad, the roof panel has has been known to pop out.
It's best to clean out the old adhesive before redoing the seams.

Beverley & Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Dave Spurgeon wrote:
I seem to be accumulating moisture in the left rear corner and in the right side cabinet just in front of the door.
Check the front awning hardware. For the rear left corner, it could be traveling back from the air conditioner.

Yes, it is a fiberglass roof. And you don't want to put on a rubber roof!!! Wash (Spic&Span) and wax it. You may have to seal up some seams.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Spurgeon wrote:
I seem to be accumulating moisture in the left rear corner and in the right side cabinet just in front of the door.
Check the front awning hardware. For the rear left corner, it could be traveling back from the air conditioner.

And you don't want to put on a rubber roof!!! Wash and wax it. You may have to seal up some seams.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
If you have clearance lights above the area where you experience water I would check them over very close. I had leaks in the front clearance lights on a journey.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler