cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah! That new siding on the front is very nice... 😉

Edit: not mine, that thread just above.
Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Airnip wrote:
Found this posting by jamborallye 09/04/08 with plenty of pictures of a cabover rebuild.

It goesn't work 'clickable'.Sorry electronically challenged or maybe just too computer stupid to fix it.Worth a cut and paste. Hope this helps.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21853185/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Try this link

Malcolm, this link might be just what you need, as you were mentioning the work on the front of the rig!:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

03Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
PapPappy wrote:
03Ultra wrote:
Any progress this week?

Guess you're like me...start getting the shakes if we don't see more pictures and progress..:B

Can't fault Malcolm for wanting to enjoy the remaining days of the summer/fall, but we miss the updates too!

It's a sad life we live, isn't it??

I have been watching this since the very beginning. When I sit down at my computer in the AM it is now the first thing I look for!
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2018 Toyota Tundra
2021 Toyota Highlander

Airnip
Explorer
Explorer
Found this posting by jamborallye 09/04/08 with plenty of pictures of a cabover rebuild.

It goesn't work 'clickable'.Sorry electronically challenged or maybe just too computer stupid to fix it.Worth a cut and paste. Hope this helps.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21853185/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
03Ultra wrote:
Any progress this week?

Guess you're like me...start getting the shakes if we don't see more pictures and progress..:B

Can't fault Malcolm for wanting to enjoy the remaining days of the summer/fall, but we miss the updates too!

It's a sad life we live, isn't it??
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

bigunone
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of weird' today I was working on some street lights in the back of an Rv place and they had an old Dodge out back that looks like they are replacing the wood on back end. Cool thing about being a car nut and working on a bucket truck you get to see what is behind fences kind of sad too!!

davepcpowernet
Explorer
Explorer
Well, at the moment the forecast is for partly cloudy for the weekend in Washington with fairly (for almost winter) warm temps. So, look forward to a productive (hopefully) weekend!

Another lurker enjoying your progress on what to many of us would have been a hopeless case.
Dave

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I made it outside on Sunday and got some cleanup on the top opening of the cab done. Must have been a quart of silicone stuck around there. I'm trying to figure out (remember) everything that's involved with putting the overhead floor up there. The sheet metal goes between the cab and the wood, so that should make it fun to get all lined up.

Now I hear there is a 3 day storm taking aim at us, so I have to make sure nothing blows away. Hope the weekend calms down enough to get some more time in.
Malcolm

03Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
Any progress this week?
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2018 Toyota Tundra
2021 Toyota Highlander

yogipsk
Explorer
Explorer
This is the most awesome project I have ever seen. I have a 72 winnie indian that has some of these problems, but I only use it as a rafting camp. I have a 1986 Georgie Boy that if I ever have these problems, I now know where to look for answers.
David and Vicki
1986 Georgie Boy Cruise Aire II 26'
RIP- Blondie the cocker
Oreo the crazy cat

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
Party! we have no time for sinkin party..we party later after the work is done? hee hee. Glad to see your relaxing for the big job coming up. I can't wait...LOL

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Walls??? I wish!!!

I had the perfect day Saturday but had another party to go to, so out came the camper again... Sorry.

Now the weather is all soggy, and with daylight savings over it's really going to be tough to make headway. This weekend there is a huge motorsports show we need to check out, so Saturday is shot down once again. Maybe I can get a day in on Sunday? I'm hoping.....
Malcolm

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
I hope he didn't get frustrated. A HUGE project. More than I could tackle now, but would have loved to do something like this when younger. I bet when he posts next, the frame will be up.

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gettin withdrawals where's the pic's....

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
Spudler, were you thinking of acoustic sealant? When I have build additions to our homes and in renovations I use it to seal the vapour barriers. It can make a real mess when applied but it will skin over given time. Nice thing with it is that it never hardens all the way and will stay flexible in almost any temperature. When I was putting in the new door for Karen wheelchair we used it to seal everything and so far no smells or problems. It is also pretty good on the pocketbook and you can get it in contractor sized tubes.