cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Those Who Tow: Do You Using a Braking System?

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
Here in California, if you're towing a vehicle of more than 2,000 lbs (which is just about anything), it's my understanding that you're required to use a braking system. I wonder if they're actually useful or necessary.

If you've traveled in CA with your toad, has the friendly highway patrol ever stopped you to see if you've got your braking system (which I'm sure you had).

John
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.
31 REPLIES 31

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Class A motorhome and have a brake controller (SMI Silent Partner) on the Honda Odyssey we tow.

I installed the brake controller first and foremost because I just thought it made good sense.

As many of the posts attest, interpretation of the various state laws seems to be imprecise at best. However, I DO KNOW that in my owner's manual, Workhorse has a statement that anything towed over 2,000 lbs. (might be 1,500...I'm going from memory here) requires a brake controller.

What that says to me is that should I be involved in an accident, and some lawyer reads that statement, what defense do I have if I don't have a brake controller installed? I wasn't really worried about the state laws etc., but I don't think it would take much of a lawyer to convince a judge or jury that I should have a brake controller when towing a 4,500 lb. vehicle.

The side benefit is I believe I'm also covered by the state statutes, whatever they may be. Although I really am not worried about being pulled over for that.

But mostly, I have peace of mind. I have had one situation where I crested a hill and the traffic was at a standstill. I jumped on the brakes HARD. I was able to stay in my lane and missed the vehicle in front of my by about 10 ft. If the Odyssey wasn't applying it's own brakes, I believe there would've been a collision, or I would've had to drive off the road.

As I said, they supply peace of mind.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

hwybnb
Explorer
Explorer
I do not wish to become embroiled in the question of whether or not you should, based on other than legal reasons, have one or not but feel it necessary to clarify the legislative issue. Nearly all of the requirements information published by braking system manufactures and often referenced in discussions apply to trailers, not towed motor vehicles. Although some people claim that anything towed behind an RV is a "trailer" that is not the case. The legal definitions are different.

A few years ago I did extensive research on this issue, including fully reading the applicable laws for all states that had them accessible online. In most states a towed motor vehicle does not meet the statutory definition of "trailer". At that time I found only eight states or Canadian provinces including Alaska, Florida, Nevada, North and South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington and Wisconsin that had weight-based requirements. Several other states including California have performance-based requirements defined as the ability to stop within a specified distance from a specified speed.

Know and obey the applicable laws and do whatever you feel is appropriate otherwise.

Toot_Mc
Explorer
Explorer
I will not go anywhere with out my towd having brake system hooked up. it also has breakaway connected.

my stopping distance towing is not much more than if not towing. wouldn't have it any other way.....!!!!!!!
Coach House 261 XL Platinum
2009 Lincoln MKX AWD
2005 Honda CRV AWD
Airforce1 towd Brake system
2011 VESPA GTV 300
US Navy 1954->62, EM-1, USS Boxer CVA-21, USS Essex CVA-9

mda
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get hung up on the laws. Just get a brake system for common sense and safety.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If towing a vehicle without secondary braking is unlawful, then I would think LEO's in every state would be funding their agencies by issuing tickets to every vehicle being towed from the USA into Mexico. Piles & piles of vehicles get towed to Mexico using those $30 disposable tow bars sold at auto part stores. Just ask a store that sells those cheap bars.

With that said, we used to tow without secondary braking, a 2100 pound car, a Toyota MR2 Spyder. It was amazing how that little car would push on the motor home while braking. Later we replaced the car with a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 with secondary braking system called Unified by US Gear. Since, we actually stop sooner than if towing nothing. When the sensitivity is set so, the tow vehicle helps slow down the motor home.

With that revelation, when the Jeep needed brakes, I installed drilled & slotted rotors and ceramic pads, for better braking performance, just to benefit towing.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I simply cannot imagine anyone towing a vehicle behind their motorhome and not have a braking system.

It is OK for anyone to take risk but it is NOT OK for anyone to endanger me because of failure to follow common practice and sense.

This is the Class C forum and if that is what is doing the towing, limits are often stretched in the first place. Just read all the posts about weight distribution, axle weight, weighing stuff you bring with you, traveling with empty tanks to cut down on weight, etc. Take a long Class C, fill it to the brim with junk and then pull a 5000 pound Grand Cherokee or Yukon behind it without brakes? It is just unimaginable to me. Slam on those rig brakes in an emergency and feel that toad pushing you forward and see if you still feel OK with that risk.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
we got the one that has the air cylindor for then toad. works gereaT FOR US. NOW ITS ALL HAPPY-CAMPING

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
My Acme EZ tow dolly has surge Disks built in.
For the past 2 years and several trips from Ga
to La they have worked great.

I have to check to see it is still there.

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Roadmaster Even Brake and it has worked well for me throughout the years. More towing info posted here.
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another factor is that you need to meet the requirements of each state you travel in. ie Unlike a drivers license for different states there is no reciprocity for obeying traffic laws within a state.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ready Brute Elite with built in Ready Brake. Won't leave home without it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Legislative requirement or not, the pure physics of the situation is that an unbraked toad will increase your EMERGENCY stopping distance in proportion to the ratio of toad weight to the total of MoHo and toad.
IE an 3000# toad will add 10% to the stopping distance of a 27K# MoHo.
You may still be within required stopping distances for the combination without toad brakes BUT will your conscience be comfortable with the front of the MoHo in the trunk of the car ahead - a situation that may have been avoided with toad brakes.
Then of course there is the breakaway situation.................
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

hwybnb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dahkota for publishing the facts about California law. Most other states have similar requirements but there are a few (about 6 at lqst count) that do have more stringent requirements. Everyone that tows should make the effort to learn the laws that apply in your state or province, speaking of which, last time I checked there are no Canadian provinces with such laws except BC, and theirs is pretty loose. As I recall it is based on a towed weight of 2000 kg (4,400 lbs).

I am irritated by individuals that post misleading information but that is understandable considering how hard it is to dig out the real story. What is inexcusable is the practice of brake system manufacturers such as Brake Buddy to publish deliberately misleading information intended to trick people into buying their product.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Braking System: Towing Vehicles

26458. (a) The braking system on every motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle shall be so arranged that one control on the towing vehicle shall, when applied, operate all the service brakes on the power unit and combination of vehicles when either or both of the following conditions exist:

(1) The towing vehicle is required to be equipped with power brakes.

(2) The towed vehicle is required to be equipped with brakes and is equipped with power brakes.

(b) Subdivision (a) shall not be construed to prohibit motor vehicles from being equipped with an additional control to be used to operate the brakes on the trailer or trailers.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following combinations of vehicles, if the combination of vehicles meets the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454:

(1) Vehicles engaged in driveaway-towaway operations.

(2) Disabled vehicles, while being towed.

(3) Towed motor vehicles.

(4) Trailers equipped with inertially controlled brakes which are designed to be applied automatically upon breakaway from the towing vehicle and which are capable of stopping and holding the trailer stationary for not less than 15 minutes.

(stupid forum puts a smiley face in the link)
California code (alternate link)

So, some RVs are legally required to have supplemental brakes. Some aren't. Which is why no one is ever stopped (it is impossible to tell by looking at an RV if it will stop)
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road