cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River motor homes

Mergs
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a forest river class c or b and was told they are made very cheaply. Does any one own one and what do you think of this brand.
12 REPLIES 12

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
They are a value brand. Decently well built at the price point. Expect some aggravating details related to being cheap, light, and assembled quickly. We like ours but we knew what the deal was.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Bought ours used and are happy with it. As with any product you may get a lemon but on average our old Coachman 5th wheeler and out FR Coachman Freelander seem well built. Not top of the line by any standard (Well maybe Yugo) but a product worth the money IMO.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I too am looking at a Sunseeker. I have my eye on the 2650 model, mainly because the carry capacity is much higher and its under 30ft. The model I looked at can carry close to 3,000 lbs, and 1,000 of that is for gas, propane, passengers and water, I checked the numbers on the labels in the door frame.

I can see they are not the best built, but they are not the worst built either. I personally can't afford the best made out there. Besides its a **** shoot, if you are going to get a lemon or not. When you read the internet just remember, the complaints far out way the positives. That's because happy campers don't usually get on the internet to praise their products, while complainers will scream from the rooftops.

All of the RV's basically use all the same components, and the more bells and whistles, the more there is to break as it bounces down the road.

I for one, can't wait to get "on the road again".

Good luck on your purchase.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my sunseeker since new in 2006. I have only had one thing break on it in 10 years. The electric step motor went out.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We just purchased a new C class Winnebago, after looking at comparable Forest River and Thor products. In my opinion, the Winnebago, by far, has a much better finish and fit than the other two brands. Besides the fit and finish, Winnebago uses higher quality materials and components. I would rate Winnebago first, Thor second and Forest River third.

For the record, I traded in a Forest River travel trailer, so I'm very familiar with Forest River products.

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized from a Class A DP. I looked at several brands and decided on the Forest River Sunseeker. Love the coach. Like every other RV manufacturer out there, they ALL could use better Quality Control at the factory.

Forest River is an interesting company making all kinds of Recreational Items including Class A's, Class C's, towables, pop ups, 5th Wheels, park models, delivery vans, courtesy vans, and even pontoon boats.

They are a large company having something like 20 manufacturing plants all over the US. They are part of the Bershire Hathaway group of companies.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've got a '10 Sunseeker 2300 and are hard on our rig as we hit a lot of gravel roads to get off the beaten path. The problems I've had with construction were the drawer slides and the closet panel door falling apart. I replaced the drawer slides for about $25 and disassembled and reglued the panel closet door.

This is our 5th RV of one sort or another... best built of the bunch IMO
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Likewise - Coachmen Prism on Sprinter chassis. had it a year - typical "punch list" items over the 1st year - found it better constructed than several other brands of B+ units. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
If the Amish RV builders are having a bad day, all brands can have issues! I bought mine at a show with no real intention to do so. 5 1/2 years later and at 20,000 miles it is still making me smile. Sure, replace this, repair that, cuss at those, blah, blah, blah. On a scale of 1-10 I give mine a 9. Nothing is a perfect 10.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Sunseeker and are still very happy with it. Put 11,400 miles on this summer trip to the Yukon and Alaska. Ruff roads up to the Arctic Circle and nothing fell apart.
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Built better than most imhp

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Sunseeker that has been great. I love it!