Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel filters

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have a 2005 Cummins 330 ISC and will be changing out the fuel filters soon. Do I need to pre fill them or just cycle the ign switch a few times? I have read conflicting info on this and just want to be sure. I have read to fill them with Dexron trans fluid too. Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
12 REPLIES 12

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:
wtmtnhiker wrote:
ScottG wrote:
With an 05, you can turn the ign switch on and listen for the pump. I like to do this 5 or 6 times. The common rail system will purge the air out.
No need to pre-fill.
DO NOT put ATF in a CR system.

I believe after reading comments here and doing more research that ScottG is correct. This is the procedure I will use.
Sounds like using ATF is an old school technique that still gets used at times today needed or not. Thanks to all who replied.

You can read many differing opinions on this but, did you actually check to see what Cummins suggests for your particular application? I highly recommend if you haven't already to login to Cummins Quickserve and register your application. Cummins has tremendous customer support available that will outline their maintenance procedure for your filters. Cummins recommends in my application for an ISL that the suction side is pre-filled while the pressure side filter is installed dry. I prefer to follow Cummins repair recommendation while I service my own coach.

Just because someone tells me "this is how I do it and it always works" is perhaps not the best answer if you are willing to use the resources available to you.

Good advice, I am registered with Cummins quickserve and will check it out , thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
ScottG wrote:
With an 05, you can turn the ign switch on and listen for the pump. I like to do this 5 or 6 times. The common rail system will purge the air out.
No need to pre-fill.

I believe after reading comments here and doing more research that ScottG is correct. This is the procedure I will use.
Sounds like using ATF is an old school technique that still gets used at times today needed or not. Thanks to all who replied.

You can read many differing opinions on this but, did you actually check to see what Cummins suggests for your particular application? I highly recommend if you haven't already to login to Cummins Quickserve and register your application. Cummins has tremendous customer support available that will outline their maintenance procedure for your filters. Cummins recommends in my application for an ISL that the suction side is pre-filled while the pressure side filter is installed dry. I prefer to follow Cummins repair recommendation while I service my own coach.

Just because someone tells me "this is how I do it and it always works" is perhaps not the best answer if you are willing to use the resources available to you.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
No need to pre-fill.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
On the old diesel engines many years ago we would throw a quart of atf in the fuel tank every once in awhile and it acted like a fuel conditioner. If you were out somewhere and had to change a filter we would fill it with atf or even engine oil in order to keep the prime only because there was no fuel to put in there. Fast forward to the newer engines it is not recommended.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
****! Don't put Dextron in a diesel unless it's an old one like before 2005. They have such high rail pressure (30000 LB) You can damage the injectors. Besides I am a mechanic and i wouldn't use anything but Lucas or Power Service. Lucas makes a anti-algae product to dump in the tank. Just fill it with diesel and start it.

From Chevron Oil
Of course, it is not recommended that ATF be burned as fuel. Francis Healy of the Chevron Fuel Technology Team, says that "the root cause comes from blending ATF with ULSD" for lubricity reasons. According to Healy, the lack of lubricity found in early mixes of ULSD is no longer a problem, as fuel manufacturers now add necessary lubricants during refinement. As far as the long-term effects of running used ATF as fuel, Healy spoke on behalf of Chevron. "We (Chevron) can only speculate, but under higher fuel pressures (namely common-rail engines), the engine won't last, and can cause extreme wear on injection systems."

tomgagne
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding dexron in filter. I broke down several years ago with algae/clogged filters and the mechanic put dexron in the replacement fuel filters, as he said to clean the injectors.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No need to pre-fill.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kinda depends on what was installed on YOUR coach. Mine has a button in the engine compartment that bleeds the air. Turn on key, press button until it's yellow then start the engine...YMMV..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
wtmtnhiker wrote:
...I have read to fill them with Dexron trans fluid too. Thanks.

:h

X2. What is the purpose of transmission fluid in the fuel filter?

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I fill mine with diesel fuel. Fill thru the small holes with a squirt bottle. I think my filter holes about a quart.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
...I have read to fill them with Dexron trans fluid too. Thanks.

:h
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
HERE'S a thread on that subject from last summer.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox