cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas mileage report

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
When paying $1.69, it doesn't matter as much, but I have gotten a handle on our 25' Chevy 4500 Class C's mpg habits.

60-65MPH, neutral conditions: 10 MPG
tail wind: 11 MPG
head or strong cross wind: 8.5-9

Mostly with cruise control ON. No toad.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
22 REPLIES 22

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
JAXFL wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
matt7591 wrote:
On 5,000 miles if you can go from 8 to 10 mpg you can save a whopping $400 at 3.50 a gal (more than current prices).

Not worth the hassle to worry about considering all the other costs.
Maybe not to you, but I'm quite sure most of us would rather have that $400. in our pockets than in those of the oil outlaws.

Granted, but 5k miles at 65mph is 77 hours and 5k miles at 55mph is 91 hours, a difference of 14 hours. That's 2 days of driving 7 hours per day, or $200 a day.

Given the choice of spending an extra 2 days on the road, or 2 days on the beach, there's not much much to discuss.

Now that it's under $2 / gallon, it's even more moot.

Actually for me 14 hours is 3 days, but to average 65 you have to do what.....75+ as your going to need to stop more often for gas and the cop....hehe.

That's why I said "driving for 7 hours per day".

If you make stops for fuel, meals, or anything else that would be over and above the 7 hours of driving.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
matt7591 wrote:
On 5,000 miles if you can go from 8 to 10 mpg you can save a whopping $400 at 3.50 a gal (more than current prices).

Maybe not to you, but I'm quite sure most of us would rather have that $400. in our pockets than in those of the oil outlaws.

Granted, but 5k miles at 65mph is 77 hours and 5k miles at 55mph is 91 hours, a difference of 14 hours. That's 2 days of driving 7 hours per day, or $200 a day.

Given the choice of spending an extra 2 days on the road, or 2 days on the beach, there's not much much to discuss.

Actually for me 14 hours is 3 days, but to average 65 you have to do what.....75+ as your going to need to stop more often for gas and the cop....hehe.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My rig is a '93 Class A with a 7.4 engine with overdrive transmission. Under normal flat land driving we get 8-9 MPG towing our 4000 Suzuki. Yes, we drop down going through the mountains and in stop and go traffic. Our rig and toad total weight is right at 19,000. We keep a log of mileage and expenses, so our mileage should be pretty accurate.
I would think that a 6.0 engine would get better mileage.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
enblethen wrote:
That isn't very good mileage.
I would start by slowing down almost 10 miles per hour.
I am guessing this is a 6.0 gas engine.
Chevy 4500? is this like a Kodiak chassis? That would make it more like a Super C.

That is excellent, honest, real world mileage. My E350 V-10 averages 9.5 (over the last 21,000 miles), cruising 60-62. Sprinters that allegedly get 21 mpg... not so much.

:S

In the interest of full disclosure... I just realized that the computer has a running total of gallons used, and I have never reset it. So the math works out to 9.4 MPG over 7800 miles. I'm a little disappointed that is was not roughly 10, but it does seem I'm always driving into a headwind! 🙂

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
That isn't very good mileage.
I would start by slowing down almost 10 miles per hour.
I am guessing this is a 6.0 gas engine.
Chevy 4500? is this like a Kodiak chassis? That would make it more like a Super C.

That is excellent, honest, real world mileage. My E350 V-10 averages 9.5 (over the last 21,000 miles), cruising 60-62. Sprinters that allegedly get 21 mpg... not so much.

:S

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it at a steady 55 with the V-10 and watch your MPG grow in leaps and bounds.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
Got my Ford E450(6.8L V-10), beat, I see 8-9.5 with varying conditions.

Markiemark:C
Me too. This cheaper gas is great but how long will it last?

It will last as long as it takes for domestic oil production to be shut down. Understand OPEC production sets the price of crude not big oil. The current price for crude is below what it takes to produce domestically.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
matt7591 wrote:

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
We have the old chev 5.7 in a 21' rig. It is consistant with 10.8. I just
drive the speed limit even if it's 70 mph.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Like Gene in NE, when we had a lower, smaller, more aero Chevy B+, we were looking at 11-12. That was nice. But we have MUCH more room now, and I'm content with 10 MPG.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy vs Ford 😉

We get 8.9 ave: Ford E450, 26ft B+, 60lb front, 70lb rear, recent alignment, synthetic oil, 55 to 60 mph, feather foot, no toad.

I believe that regular (no ethenol) gas would improve mileage by about 10%. My previous Chev (3500 series chassis) unit did about 5% better than my current Ford based unit.

Its weight, rolling resistance, gear ratio, speed, aerodynamics, fuel type, weather, terrain, and power.

Wish they had a hybrid motorhome that could use sun power to improve mpg by 10 to 20%. Just paint the whole thing in solar panels.

I would be doing my happy dance if we got 10mpg. Snowman9000..think you have a good unit. Nice choice of size, features, and fuel economy.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
matt7591 wrote:

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We have almost the same 25 ft RV but with chevy 3500. Our gas mileage is the same as the OP but our is at 55 max speed. I doubt going 10 mph slower would do that.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
When paying $1.69, it doesn't matter as much, but I have gotten a handle on our 25' Chevy 4500 Class C's mpg habits.

60-65MPH, neutral conditions: 10 MPG
tail wind: 11 MPG
head or strong cross wind: 8.5-9

Mostly with cruise control ON. No toad.

That's exactly what ours gets in the same conditions.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)