cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas mileage with a v10

charlestown
Explorer
Explorer
hello im getting ready to buy a 31ft Minnie Winnie with a v10 after doing a little research im hearing best mileage is 6.8 I thought maybe it would be around 8 or 9 can anybody tell me their mileage on a similar motor home thanks mark
19 REPLIES 19

Peterrrrr
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C (26' single slide) towing a Chevy Cobalt went 7733 Miles last winter, used 1034.43 US Gallons, ($3475.71 at a calculated Average of $3.36 a gallon) I can then further determine that I get 7.48 MPG Avg.

cmssorrell
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Freedom elite 31R, 60,000 miles. Ran with dash air on, mostly flat highways, no tow/haul mode, never went over 60 mph. Trip to Daytona beach, hand calculated 9.9 mpg.

Mark
2012 Avalanche 330 RE
2006 F350 Ford diesel dually
2007 Ultra Classic Harley Davidson

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a coast to coast trip along I-40 and I think I averaged around 7. The speed limit was 75 and there were a lot of mountains... So.... I could have done better, but I tend to have a lead foot. Maybe I could have gotten 8mpg *shrug*

I was driving my Winnie Minnie 31c with Triton V10.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2012 winnebago aspect 28T. We tow a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (2700 lbs +-). We just returned froma 4500 mile trip with the rig, our 1st with it. I installed a 5 star tuner prior to the trip and it must work. We drove 62 mph 2300 rpm got around 8.5 mpg, went to 65 mph 2500 rpm got 8 mpg overall. Drove across Iowa to Neb at 65 for 9.3 (hand calc'd). Drove to colorado at 70 mph got 8.3 (hand calc'd). Using the scan gauge as illustrated above had highs at 10 low at 7. All due to terrain and winds. We drive with cruise control on and dash AC. So from what others are saying about no dash ac and slow speed there is not an apparent need to drive slow from what I can see! At 8000+ in colorado SG indicated 10+ This was on the high plain from alamosa to over to the base of Wolf Creek.

As the engine broke in the performance and milage got better. Without the tuner when we 1st bought the rig, trip from prescott az to Lakeside to Tucson best we got was 8 mpg period. Yes some good pulls were encountered. salt river being 1 another is from I17 to payson to showlow.

The wife does not like to dawdle thus the higher speeds. Same deal with my F350 diesel with and without the TT. At 80 with the diesel I get as good as I get trying to go 65-70 and with the trailer at 65 its about the same as 60. Not enough difference to justify the slower speed.

So it will all depend on how you want to drive and how you actually drive the rig it would seem. Got a friend who has a DP drives at 55 claims he get 13 mpg! says he drops to 11 at 65? So again everything is variable. If you ead up on how to economize using CC is recommended as it will maintain the settings better than the right foot will, variations on hills but overall the CC is recommended. I also do not use tow/haul on the rv or pickup except for starts stops on hills and use direct for long pulls and descents.

These are my observations and you need to take them as that and nothing else. I do think tuners help overall but the cost is not something you can plan to recover due to any mileage savings and I do not buy them with that as a primary goal. Both my PU and the RV have rv related tuners installed and we are happy with the results they give.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my 32 1/2' Itasca for about 16 months. During that time I've been averaging between 8 - 8.5mpg, not using cruise control, or the dash air, while running the generator on most trips, usually running 60-65MPH. Driving in flat southern/central Florida, where the highest elevation is a highway overpass.
This past weekend I drove down to Key Largo and made a conscious effort to stay below 60mph. I averaged exactly 9 MPG. On the way home, driving the same speed, with the tow/haul mode on (for the first time ever), I averaged 9.7MPG. (it had been 9.8 right before I took the picture).

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
27' running around 11K lbs - here's the numbers from our trip last summer:

and another trip late last summer:

Cheers!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
FORD V-10 mailage will be approximate depending on the speed.

At 55 Miles per hour speed.

Between 7 to 9 miles per gallon flat land small hills, more miles if going with the wind less if going against it.

Mountain driving is not possible due to the amount of terrain variation.

City driving is approx 4 to 6 miles per gallon less in stop and go.

Most of this is from my 2001 E-350 FORD V-10 24 foot motor home pulling a Suzuky Grand Vitara 2001 4 X 4 standard shift.

Chevrolet based RV's have diferent engines and rear end configuration and will have diferent milage.

navegator

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get between 9 and 9.5 on average.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
With our 2003 Itasca 30 footer towing a 2700 lb car we get 7 to 11. I know that's a big range but it really depends a lot on wind and terrain. I would say a long term average would be 8 to 9.
Jayco-noslide

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Being able to estimate MPG is useful for trip planning but actual mpg depends on the speed driven on flat ground, amount of grades to be climbed, headwinds, tail winds, weight of vehicle and tire pressures, use of speed control and gears and engine performance. All class C's also have a lot of aerodynamic drag which increases dramatically with increase in speed. I would estimate 7-8 mpg for most rigs and be pleased with occasional higher actual mpg. Try to be accurate in computing miles driven vs gallons consumed and do it a number of times to come up with an average.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
CloudDriver wrote:
We have the 24ft Minnie in my sig below. Over the past 50,000 miles, we have averaged 9.5mpg driving mostly at 55-60mph.

X2.... What he said(we only have put 17,500 miles on our 24' C). :B

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our Minnie 29B with two slides for 6 years and have averaged between 8-9 mpg. we tow a Suzuki Sidekick.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We rented a 31' Winnie with one slide in AK and got 8.5 on average for three weeks.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny the OP mentions 6.8 since that's about what we get. Our 31 in signature has no slides but has a steel "floor" frame, not the modern aluminum. That takes its scale weight into the high 13,000's and with our toad we're about 17,500. Very rarely can I calculate an MPG better than 7. With our 55-gallon tank I plan a fuel stop no farther than 300 miles (7 x 50 gallons = 350). That's a "reserve" of around 5-gal/50 miles do bone dry, which I know it can't do.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB