cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Mileage

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of gas mileage could you get with a 37 foot fleetwood motor home with a:

454 Chevy Engine
Allison Transmission
Tag Axle.

Are we talking 4 mpg, 6 mpg, or possibly 8 mpg.

I'm just looking for an approximation under normal conditions as I have never had this rig on the road for more than a few miles at a time.

Frank
26 REPLIES 26

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
4 on a bad day......headwind, hills
8 on a good day.....tailwind, flat

Good days will outnumber the Bad - JMHO so........... Avg = 7mpg

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
4 on a bad day......headwind, hills
8 on a good day.....tailwind, flat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway, in top gear on the flats, not towing and no wind, running about 55mph and not counting the genset, I would expect you'll see about 9mpg.

maybe in your wildest dreams;;; more like 7.5 MAX

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
fmattox73 wrote:
What kind of gas mileage could you get with a 37 foot fleetwood motor home with a:

454 Chevy Engine
Allison Transmission
Tag Axle.

Are we talking 4 mpg, 6 mpg, or possibly 8 mpg.

I'm just looking for an approximation under normal conditions as I have never had this rig on the road for more than a few miles at a time.

Frank

Are you saying that you have a rare P12 chassis here?
Didn't know that they made anything longer than 36ft on any of the Chevy chassis's either.
Anyway, in top gear on the flats, not towing and no wind, running about 55mph and not counting the genset, I would expect you'll see about 9mpg. Over the yrs and counting different terrain, idling, traffic stops with gear changes, about 7.5 overall.
Whatever it is, it's not significant over the cost of ownership, like depreciation per mile might be with the newer rigs.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have 36ft MH with the Vortec engine no tag axle. Away from home I will get between 7 to 9 mpg without toad. Most of the time I pull my Jeep (almost 5000#), then I get 6 to 7 mpg. These were all trips over 4000 miles, two trips w/o toad and four trips pulling the Jeep.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
My experiences with 34 ft Southwind 454 Chevy towing a HHR toad usaually running about 62-64 mph.

4,000 miles plus. Illinois to Texas to Arizona back to Texas and Illinois. Low of 6.7 high of 9.8. Overall average of 8.1. Varying wind and terrain conditions but no real mountains.

Most recent. 3,050 miles Illinois to Florida to Texas back to Illinois. High of 7.8 low of 5.6 overall 7.2. 5.6 was across Missouri with engine missing and driving like I stole it to get up the hills.

Since the last trip I have replaced plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, coil (everything ignition associated) as well as belts, hoses, coolant etc. Ran great on 90 mile trip home. Hopefully this winters trip will produce favorable gas mileage.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
One of the variables is Vortec vs old-style 454. Also OD vs old-style transmission Between them, that will make 2-3 MPG difference.

What year is it-- that will tell us a lot.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
6-8 is a pretty reasonable guess at what your average numbers over time will be. You can get more or less depending upon terrain and wind conditions.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I average 7 MPG with our 96 Fleetwood Southwind, 37', 454 tag axle. Not towing.

And, that's going over the hills in western Pennsylvania. In Ohio and flatter areas it gets a little better. I travel at about 62 MPH.

Is your Fleetwood fuel injected or a carburetor? The older carb models will get lower mileage.

I'm satisfied with the mileage.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you pulling anything? If you get over several tanks and mixed driving between 8-9 be very very happy. 7-8 be happy. 5-6 perhaps a bit disappointed, and slow down.

I had a 31 ft with a 454 and averaged low 8's, no tow. High was low 10's on flat roads, real gas.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see why it wouldn't get 7-8mpg.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
6-8 MPG on most roads. Down to 4MPG on steeper mountain roads.