cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gas vs. diesel engine motor home

1_show
Explorer
Explorer
which is better? if you had a chance to get a new or close to new gas engine motor home, vs. a 8yr old diesel motor home (due to pocket book) both 35'long, to travel across USA, but only plan to keep it for possibly 6yrs before selling it, what is best choice.
22 REPLIES 22

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
First it depends on a person's mindset, managing a bad investment or a I don't care lifestyle choice. If it is a I don't care lifestyle choice, Diesel wins hands down. If you are trying to manage a bad investment while enjoying the travel, Gas wins hands down. A few years ago I would have said Diesel to both but with the economics changing, diesel fuel costing more, maintenance labor rate increasing, improvements to gas RVs, gas RV lower prices & more, IMHO diesel has lost the management of a bad investment edge. The bottom line is if you can find a great/good used unit you are ahead with your choice. Our next unit will probability be a Gas unit unless we find a steal. Since we spend more time at the camping locations, the narrowing difference of driving the two is not important to me. Comfort while camping is. I have pulled with both and both did well. Good luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how many threads there have been on this topic but as a generalization:

DP pros: Ride comfort, noise level is less, power, longevity, better for longer days in the saddle and long trips, usually better equipped, more capacity

DP Cons: Cost, fuel cost, maintenance cost

Gasser pros: Cheaper, cheaper to maintain

Gasser cons: Nice ride but worse than DP, less power and capacity

There are more points but that's the gist. You get what you pay for. If you have the money and want a DP and will use it, by all means that's what you want. If you want to save half your money and still get a nice RV, have less to tow etc, get a gasser.

Above all else, floorplan should drive your choice.
2013 ACE 29.2

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
It will be more economical to drive a gasser, but for comfort the diesel far out weighs the gasser. I have owned both!!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the diesel if you plan to tow heavy trailers or you just want the comfort and convenience of air ride, air brakes and (in the case of a DP) quieter ride.

Otherwise, go for gas.

I wouldn't let the concept of diesel longevity have any bearing because, IMHO, it is grossly overstated in importance when talking about motorhomes.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The diesel is better but at 35' you do not need a diesel so buy a 2-3 year old gasser and save yourself some money for fuel.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
This question has been discussed many times in different forums. Those that have diesels will give you one answer, and those that have gas will give you another. As the previous poster has stated, do not drive any diesel coach if you are also looking at gas coaches, you WILL BE spoiled.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
It's what you prefer! You will most likely wear out the inside of either coach before you wear out the motor if you do lots of RVing! I've been thinking neither! Buying a new luxury 5th wheel keep it in covered storage in AZ. and have a person with a diesel pick up move it to and from storage when I arrive or depart AZ. I like the idea of not driving, no fuel and no maintenance!

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I normally would vote for the diesel, but in 6 years you will want to sell the coach and any potential buyer will probably want to finance the purchase. Most lending institutions don't want to finance anything over 10 years old.

Don't drive the diesel, since you'll fall in love with the ride and the quietness.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow