cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator will not start

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to leave and the generator will not start. Sounds like the battery is low as when I try to crank it it drags. We have been on shore power for a week and the last time it started my granddaughter started the generator while on shorepower and I turned it off immediately .
I checked the fuse on the generator it was good, the breaker was on , check all the breakers in the coach all ok. One thing I did notice when I disconnected from shore power the lights in the inverter panel were not lit up which is very unusual. At this point I guess I'll check the inverter for a burned fuse. The generator is a 75d quietpac
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
9 REPLIES 9

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
While on shore power everything worked the way it's supposed to but when on disconnecting everything went dead. After checking batteries, fuses, inverter etc it turned out the RV was in the stoage mode. Yes that was the problem, talk about feeling stupid. Thanks guys for all of your responses.
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

PandK
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar sounding problem and it turned out to be the starter. Pain to replace but now starts properly.
Paul and Karla
Jose, Tequila & Ella - Our Spoiled Rotten Chihauhuas
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester 45'
2013 Chevy Traverse

joeprinter
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried starting the coach, letting it run try the genny start.
"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
My Gen set starts off of the coach battery. Last month when I installed the battery for the season, it started the generator just fine. Just before I went to New York ( about 3 weeks after I installed it ) I went to start the gen. and barely a rotation and the lights went dim and the radio shut down. Long story short battery crapped out. It had enough of a charge to run lights and such but not enough to start the generator.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know Damons, but the generator could be starting on chassis batteries and that could be low...try to start generator and then since you know chassis to be good...use the emerg start switch to bridge the batteries....your chassis batteries might not be charging on shore power.....this is a guess at best..also check your 12v disconnect..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know Damons, but the generator could be starting on chassis batteries and that could be low...try to start generator and then since you know chassis to be good...use the emerg start switch to bridge the batteries....your chassis batteries might not be charging on shore power.....this is a guess at best..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
nevermind

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Yes tried the outside switch to start genny but it sounds like the battery is low. Checked the house batteries they have plenty of charge
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have a voltmeter? Sounds like you might not have enough power from batteries. Check the volts at the batteries, with converter off and check output of converter, with batts disconnected. Assuming this is an onboard genny, how much fuel do you have. If an Onan, you probably have a prime to pump fuel into the genny, usually by holding down the off on the rocker switch for 5-10 seconds. Then starting. Have you tried the outside start switch?