cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM Recalls Expanded

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since many of the vehicles being recalled are also used as toads, I thought this may be of interest to others.....Dennis

GM expands recalls to 4.8 million vehicles

Of interest, to me of course, is the following:

"The expanded recall now includes six models: 2005-10 Cobalts, 2006-10 Pontiac Solstices, 2007-10 Pontiac G5s and Saturn Skys, 2006-11 Chevrolet HHRs and 2003-7 Saturn Ions."
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
21 REPLIES 21

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
We just got the recall for our 2007 HHR. Wifeepoo, being ready to flip out....(her car) I told her that at the age of 7, if the thing hasn't blown up yet, it ain't gonna. Availability of parts sometime in the near future. But not NOW.
OK....why is this? Simple. The bean counters have taken over from the car people. There ain't nothin' new under the sun with an ignition lock. Or Key. Computer chips on some, yeah. But the lock? Key? All it is, "what is cheaper". No thought to longivity or stable. Look at so many other recalls. Simply going for the cheap.BTW, FWIW, our HHR has 100,000 miles on it. Still going strong.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
okgc wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
My ignition switch was replaced 18 months ago with a recall on my HHR. It was a situation where the key could not be removed from the switch and in some instances you could not turn OFF the ignition.
Now it appears that the switches will just suddenly go dead.
Maybe somewhere in the middle is the answer to their switch problems. :B

What year is your HHR? I didn't know of another recall.
We bought an early 2006 HHR to tow and bought one of the last 2011s. Our 06 had about 150,000 miles showing before selling it to friends with a motorhome.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have a 2009 HHR. I had to find the letter that I got from GM. The letter was addressed to me and was from Jim Moloney, General Director, Customer & Relationship Services. It was dated July 2012 and it said that this letter is intended to make me aware that some 2009 model year HHR vehicles may develop a binding condition between the ignition lock cylinder and the housing. If this occurs, it may be difficult to turn the ignition key and/or remove it from the ignition. If the vehicle is running, you may not be able to turn it off.

It further tells me NOT to take the vehicle to the dealer UNLESS I believe my vehicle has the problem. Mine did so I took it in and they installed part number 20869121 Cylinder kit under what they listed as a SPECIAL POLICY. There was no charge. It did say that I had until June 30, 2013 to get it done under this "recall".

I don't believe that this was part of a National recall but rather a somewhat isolated situation where they could identify certain affected vehicles.
I would guess that if anyone was registered with GM and they had a vehicle that was indicated they would have gotten the same letter that I got.

I never got the letter for mine (2010), but they did replace it under warranty when it got stick ON one night last summer. It was a Sunday night, had to drive it to their lot, leave it there overnight, disconnect the battery and remove the ignition fuse to get the engine to turn off.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.
www.chevyhhr.net is reporting that GM will be R&R the PS motor with an updated unit. PS motor is mounted on the lower part of the steering shaft.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great news...GM just added 1,300,000 more cars to their recall list. This time for power steering issues.
The latest recall includes the 2004-2006 Pontiac G6, Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, 2004-2007 Saturn Ion, 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura, 2009-2010 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo models) and 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt.
The power steering on my HHR is electric so I guess when it goes away you just lose power assist, which is not that bad to deal with. I've lost the power steering in my Monaco coach when the belt broke and it is a bear to steer but doable. No word yet as to when GM will start actually doing the recall work and I am guessing that the line will be long at the dealerships.

GM still has several more vehicle investigations pending within the NHTSA. One involves 1.77 million full-size SUVs and pickup trucks from 1999-2003 for brake line corrosion that can lead to increased stopping distances. GM and the NHTSA also received more than 1,300 complaints for brake light malfunctions on 2005-2008 Pontiac G6 models, which were not included in last year's recall of just under 10,000 cars in the U.S. None of these investigations have been escalated to a recall either by the NHTSA or GM.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
okgc wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
My ignition switch was replaced 18 months ago with a recall on my HHR. It was a situation where the key could not be removed from the switch and in some instances you could not turn OFF the ignition.

We bought an early 2006 HHR to tow and bought one of the last 2011s. Our 06 had about 150,000 miles showing before selling it to friends with a motorhome.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have a 2009 HHR. I had to find the letter that I got from GM. The letter was addressed to me and was from Jim Moloney, General Director, Customer & Relationship Services. It was dated July 2012 and it said that this letter is intended to make me aware that some 2009 model year HHR vehicles may develop a binding condition between the ignition lock cylinder and the housing. If this occurs, it may be difficult to turn the ignition key and/or remove it from the ignition. If the vehicle is running, you may not be able to turn it off.

It further tells me NOT to take the vehicle to the dealer UNLESS I believe my vehicle has the problem. Mine did so I took it in and they installed part number 20869121 Cylinder kit under what they listed as a SPECIAL POLICY. There was no charge. It did say that I had until June 30, 2013 to get it done under this "recall".

I don't believe that this was part of a National recall but rather a somewhat isolated situation where they could identify certain affected vehicles.
I would guess that if anyone was registered with GM and they had a vehicle that was indicated they would have gotten the same letter that I got.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
todouble wrote:
WOW! Seven recent recalls? I would never own a government motors. Hope they get it all sorted out.
This air bag issue with GM has been going since 2001. 13 years trying to fix a problem is to long and, I believe there has been 13 deaths since 2001! I'm with you I wouldn't buy one either JMHO!

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
two-niner wrote:
Wait, there's more.

GM has ordered all sales on the Chevy Cruze to stop immediately. Might be noted the Cruze is GM's best selling model. Wonder what that is all about?

Kerry

GM recalls Chevy Cruze for axle problem only ECOTECยฎ 1.4L turbo gas engine affected
Alaska 2015

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Wait, there's more.

GM has ordered all sales on the Chevy Cruze to stop immediately. Might be noted the Cruze is GM's best selling model. Wonder what that is all about?

Kerry

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

What I really really really want to tow: JEEP. And I really do not care who makes it. I WANT A JEEP!Q

I just KNOW you're DROOLING over the new Jeep RENEGADE....:B:B:B:B....Dennis

What is that garbage? When I saw RENEGADE, I instantly thought of a beloved 92 Wrangler RENEGADE. What the hell is that silly little thing they are coming out with?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Alaska 2015

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Most of the failures seem to be due to a heavy keychain swinging on the ignition key, turning the ignition off.
Obviously a condition the engineers did not consider and now it has come back to bite them.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
They all have recalls.. Toyota has had more recalls then any other manufacture last year. Now that Toyota has paid out almost two billion in fines over their acceleration recall all the manufactures are scared. You will see every manufacture jump to do them fast and quick now. There are so many parts and so many different manufactures you will always have recalls..

And government motors??? Almost every auto manufactures took government money in their finance arm where the public never saw,,, ford. BMW. Mercedes. They all did.....

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:

What I really really really want to tow: JEEP. And I really do not care who makes it. I WANT A JEEP!Q

I just KNOW you're DROOLING over the new Jeep RENEGADE....:B:B:B:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recalls are the bane of the industry since they layed off much of the Quality Control folks. I will give you my opinion of 3 companies

Ford: I have driven several Fords. The engines tend to wear out (Bearing failure) fairly quickly compared to GM or Chrysler.

GM: The former CEO wanted the govermanurent to put a dollar a gallon tax on gasoline so more folks would buy the volt... That cost him my business.

That leaves Chrysler... My current towed is a Dodge NEON. so far it's been ok (it is a 2001).

Oh, I'm taking applications for traveling companion: Must be White Female, early to Mid 60's With JEEP.. Send photo and specs on JEEP. (Half joke).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times