cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Idea or NNOO

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering...after moving from a C to an A with only the entry door as access, what would be an issue leaving the drivers/passengers slide window unlocked? The reason this has come to mind is that in our C the entry door broke (became inoperable) and thank goodness for the cab doors we were able to enter and disassemble the door lock/knob, and continue on our trip. Any other possible suggestions/ideas/thoughts?
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country
13 REPLIES 13

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
On the toad and on the coach I crawl all the way underneath and put a magnetic spare key box with keys to everything I own on the cross member of the frame. Ya hard to get to but at least I know its there when needed. And I don't think the thieves are going to crawl under to see if any extra keys are placed there!

And they do stay. I also have one placed on my 1999 Tahoe that I put there the day I took delivery on it. That would be 17 years ago!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only spare key I keep in a hidden magnetic box outside on our coach is a mis-cut key for the driver's door. All other spares are kept inside. The mis-cut key works fine if you know to insert it just so. Pushed in normally, it just feels like it's in the wrong lock. My thinking is that even if that key is found by a potential thief, there's a good chance he won't be able to make it work. Dedicated thieves, of course, will get in anyway since broken windows and such are nothing to them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has a entry door and a drivers door but, I always leave one window unlocked. It paid off one time about 10 years ago. I locked myself out of my coach with the keys inside. A neighbor at the RV Park had a step ladder so I was able to get inside my coach and unlock it.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the door lock break in my truck camper once. I was inside, but still not able to operate the latch from inside. I had to go out the roof vent and fortunately was able to operate the latch from the outside.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
drifterpilot wrote:
I keep a key hidden underneath just for this same reason, haven't had to use it yet.

We always have a key outside the rig too, but if the lock BREAKS, the key doesn't do you any good. First time ours broke, our daughter was inside and was able to open the door from the inside. The second time, the driver's window was unlocked, so I went up a ladder and crawled through the window and pushed the door open from the inside.

When we are someplace safe, I normally leave a window unlocked. Not one that would be easy to get through, though.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
For what we pay for these coaches you'd think they could install a decent lock without the pot metal parts.

X2
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
For what we pay for these coaches you'd think they could install a decent lock without the pot metal parts.

drifterpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a key hidden underneath just for this same reason, haven't had to use it yet.
2017 Allegro 34P
7,900 Miles, Ford V10
Winegard (in-motion tracking)
Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Or buy an A with a driver's door

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I usually have one window unlocked somewhere on the MH. Not always the same one. I have had to replace two door locks, at least both failed with me inside. Had to get a small Park Ranger to crawl in through a window one time that key got locked inside.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Just happened to us last week! Good thing my daughter had left a window open.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I had two of those darn RV locks break on me and lock me out and where I was at both times when I called the local locksmith they said no as soon as I said it was an RV lock. 😞

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In some areas it may be OK to leave unlocked. Some of the areas we camp in I would not leave any window unlocked unless we were at the site.

Our roadside service includes locksmith service.