Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greetings from a New Class A owner!

ponytail_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

Greetings! My name is Cristina and I am the super proud new owner of a Class A 2009 34' Safari Simba. I don't think I've ever adored a vehicle so much since my first car, a 1972 Ford Pinto.

I am so new at this I don't even know what questions to ask. The more I am learning about my RV the less I know. This is my first RV (inherited this beauty) and I couldn't be more excited.

I've signed up for a class on electrical systems, and have spent every waking moment in these forums. I really should feed my kids soon.

What might be your advise on the thing(s) to learn first?? The RV is still 'winterized' what steps do you take to un-winterize?

Cristina
Thanks All!
Cris
=====================================================
I don't even OWN an RV yet...but in training :@ !
Goal for ownership: Spring 2012!
25 REPLIES 25

ponytail_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again, Everyone!

Thank you for all maintenance tips and suggestions! I only wish I could park my,RV in my driveway for a week. I would LOVE that, but alas my HOA says no way. There is a nearby campground (Jordan Lake west of Raleigh!) that I will aim towards.

I did not know that de-winterizing could be as simple as flushing out the pink stuff. I will start there! Thanks for the bleach tips.

The logistics are challenging but fun. I'll have to find a place to hook up so I can fill tanks. Is there any way to "clean" the black tank? (And I'm not meaning empty it, I look forward to that luxury in the future).

Thanks everyone!
Cristina

PS. I know I'm asking really basic questions for someone who owns a 34' Class A. I inherited the beauty from my great uncle who passed last year. We used to chat for hours about his adventures and he knew I was interested as I have rented (smaller) RVs over the last few years and had been saving for a smaller Class C.
Thanks All!
Cris
=====================================================
I don't even OWN an RV yet...but in training :@ !
Goal for ownership: Spring 2012!

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
De-winterizing can be as easy as hooking up your garden hose to the city water connection and opening up all the faucets to clear out the pink stuff. However there are several things that need to be considered.

1. Beware that city water at home and in campgrounds may be at too high a pressure for the plastic fittings in most motor homes. Invest in a good quality water pressure regulator.

2. It's good to sanitize the water system at least a couple of times year. To do this, pour bleach into the water tank through the fill. If you can't get it into the tank fill, pour it into the hose before you hook up. Use 1/4 cup for every 5 gallons, then top off the tank. Run all faucets (don't forget the outside shower) until you smell bleach. Let the bleachy water sit in the pipes for a couple of hours, then drain the water tank. Refill with fresh water and flush the system once again.

3. The water heater is probably bypassed and drained, and you do not want to light it off until it's full of water. Also, there's a drain plug on the water heater that will need to be teflon-taped and tightened. Before buttoning up the water heater, stick a heater flush wand in there and give it a good rinse.

Safari's are great coaches. Good luck on your new adventure.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Some great advice from these folks so far. Tires for sure even if they look good. Check for any water leaks or water damage, practice driving it and have fun!
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Christina, if you want to go hook up and test everything out, the State Fairgrounds there in Raleigh has a really nice campground for setting up and connecting practice.. there really isn't anything to do in the campground, but it is level, full connections and super easy to maneuver into sites. it might be worth the $25 a night to go there for a night or two if your home doesn't have a good place to set up. (I know my DD in Holly Springs doesn't have room and driveway is really not level.)

I also know there are a couple of state parks not too far out that would be good next step places to go.

Now you just have to visit different types campgrounds/rv parks/rv resorts and determine which is your type. don't let the names confuse you.. generally the names mean nothing.. some are rustic and provide basic hookups, some are more like state fair site, provide connections but nothing much else, and some provide everything you could want -- playgrounds, pools, scheduled actitivites for adults and for kids, dog parks... I have even seen one with pond and obstacle type course for dogs..

Me, it depends on what I am in the area for.. if just a get away, I prefer state parks.. when I visit my DD in Holly Springs, I like the state fair rv park.. just a place to park and sleep.. and somehow I can envision, as my DGD gets a little bigger, taking her places with activities.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mesteve wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Camp in your driveway for week end and you will find out what you need.

And your kids will have a blast!

How true.

My big three, is tires, then Batteries, Then Coach appliances.

I hope you have the manuals on the coach. READ THEM !!

What you have is a way cool coach, they were on our short list for a long time. We simply couldn't find one that didn't have a billion miles and didn't look like it was headquarters for the zambuly tribe. and over priced.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mesteve
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:

And your kids will have a blast!
2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Dually w/ Hijacker sliding hitch
2017 Raptor 425TS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two important things to know right off.....

1. How to keep beer or margaritas cold.
2. How to empty the black and grey tanks....

Everything else will fall into place....if you ever need help...refer to #1 above...:B...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend using a campground that is very close to your house. Congrats on your new coach.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Cristina, congratulations on the new coach! I know the excitement, I've been there!

Double check the tire date codes as 7 yrs. is about the limit. How many miles on the coach? The batteries, if wet cell, should be checked regularly and filled with only distilled water.

Looks like you will have a lot of fun adventures ahead!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably the first thing I would learn about is safety. Check or have checked the tires, brakes, fluids etc. Then see if you can find an RV driving class. They are not hard to drive, but there are things to be cautious about. Like how to head down grades, using the brakes, or not using the brakes, downshifting. There are lots of things to learn.

First take it on a short local camping trip. Just for a day or two. You will learn quite a bit in just a few days.

Happy RVing.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.