cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard Starting

jurzbill
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my cranking batteries and since then starting engine has been harder. It takes a longer cranking time to get the engine to start. Any suggestions.
2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:2014 Ford CMax
:W
FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.
8 REPLIES 8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I'll ask. What rating were the old batteries, and what rating are the new ones?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the battery is fully charge. Check all the cells with a hydrometer to make sure it is fully charged, may have a dead cell. If all that checks out then have it load tested. I worked for a battery company and our returns that came back, 50% were new. A defect may not appear till after it is bounced around or has been sitting for some time.

Make sure the battery has the right cca (cold cranking amperage) for your engine requirements, not all batteries are the same.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

Rickieblue
Explorer
Explorer
Half the time, people change out batteries when they actually have a charging problem. I suggest you get it running and perform a charging system check. Also it would be a good idea to perform a voltage drop test through all of the connections such as the ground on the engine, started, and alternator. Many times there is high resistance and it surely messes up the starting, and charging functions.
2000 Damon Escaper...model 3980 Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins ISC 8.3 liter 330 HP, Allison MD3060 6 speed automatic
Pretty much bullet proof drivetrain

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When I worked at a dealer for construction equipment, over 1/2 the batteries were good that customers turned in when they bought a new one. Charge the battery then let it set before you load test it, then check the charging system, wires, ground and check for some battery drain. Did you check the starter?

jurzbill
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. Will have it checked out.
2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:2014 Ford CMax
:W
FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Literally dealing with this same issue now. Load tested batteries yesterday 1 is dead the other has bad cells. Both are new.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible for new batteries to be bad. Like the previous poster said, you should have them load tested. Otherwise, make sure all battery connections and cables are clean and in good condition.

Good luck-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you tell a difference in how fast the starter spins the engine? If it's slower I'd have the batteries load checked.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...