cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headers for a 1988 Ford 460 engine

shaunswim
Explorer
Explorer
I am rebuilding my Ford 460 Fuel Injected engine and would like to put a set of headers on it to eliminate the manifold issues. The only ones I can find are Doug Thorley headers. Very expensive. Any suggestions on an alternative that someone maybe using. Summit Racing shows Headman headers for it, but after talking to Hedman they said they only fit carburetor versions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun
17 REPLIES 17

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
DaHose wrote:
Just spit ballin here, j-d. Jose

Me too, my friend. I removed manifolds on our '83 460 and I know they had no smog fittings. But I recall A.I.R. fittings in the rear of the heads.

I remember a MoPar 318 >> 360 swap where the 360 was later model and had little air holes under the exhaust ports of the heads. The manifolds I wanted to use didn't cover those holes. A friend called a speed shop and came back with this answer:

"Take Twenty-Penny Nails. Cut them in short pieces and pound them into those holes."

And so I did. Worked out just fine. But it was a 1971 vehicle, and only 1973 and later were being smog tested at the time. FL since eliminated its smog program.

But this makes me wonder if the EFI 460's use a similar design, where some ports in the heads don't get covered by the flange on Hedman Hedders.

Hey OP! Maybe check out FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) or one of the Ford performance sites. Guys are putting 460's into Mustangs... And if I recall, a 460 can be hogged out to 534 or some huge number close to that.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Do the EFI heads have air injection to the manifolds? If so, that could be why they say "No EFI" on the headers. All the carbureted versions have air injection directly into the cylinder heads. Just spit ballin here, j-d.

Jose

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well Shucks! The detail on the two part numbers Jose provided says "without injection heads" so Hedman seems to be (stand by for awful pun...) a-head of us on this. Now I don't know what to say. It seems Ford went to EFI on these vehicles in a random sort of way. It used to seem to me that the 1989 units were the first with 460/EFI and it was a 100% change. By 1991 (last year of the square body) they'd all've been EFI. Yet Hedman's list takes in a bunch of years, all the way to 1991, and says in the fine print, "No EFI."

Just pulled up the catalog and the notes (1. and 110.) both say "No EFI" and the part numbers for the Header Gaskets are different too.
Maybe visit a speed shop and see what they say. If they don't know they often have a guru they can call that you might otherwise never find.

Should add, LOVED the 3" Flowmaster Exhaust System. You're as well off with an expertly crafted 3" single than lesser 2-1/2" duals, and you don't have to find paths among all the stuff under an RV.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, mine is carbureted and I ordered the Hedman 89200 from Amazon. They are supposed to fit up to a 1987 model E350 chassis with a 460.

On the Hedman site, they also list the model 89207 headers for 1988 - 1991 E350's with a 460.

Jose

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
1992 Chassis Year began the "new" rounded body style, replacing 1977-91 style that was more squared. I know for a fact that Flowmaster had different "cat-back" exhaust systems for the two generations. That tells me they had to work with different configurations, probably to avoid interferences. I'd sooner believe that headers for the early generation with carb would work on early generation EFI, Than.. that late generation MPI would work on early generation EFI. Look up Exhaust Manifold Gaskets for the two 460's. If they're the same, the headers should bolt up. I doubt very seriously Ford changed the Firing Order, which would impact header effectiveness. As I said earlier in this thread, I believe the Carb-vs-EFI header issue has to do with connecting antipollution components.

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Gibson Headers from Summit Racing on my '96 460 which I believe are cheaper than Doug Thorley. Then installed a flowmaster exhaust system.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

shaunswim
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by Hedman that they do not make headers that will bolt onto Ford 460 Fuel injected heads for a van or C class. They only make them for carburetor versions. Is your a carburetor?

Jpony56hd
Explorer
Explorer
I just built my 1988 Gulfstream's 460 (carbureted). I used Flow Tech Headers from Holley for a F-250 4x4 and to my surprise the fit perfect. I was worried about the left side due to the shift and emergency brake linkages. But I don't know if the Carb headers and the FI one are the same.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yo! Jose! I looked at Amazon, and saw some of the Hedman Hedders looked like long tube. But I don't think any were spec'd for 460 in a "van." Which ones did you actually get?

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Heddman headers are a winner. The flange is steel (a little over 3/8 thick) and the tubes are nicely welded. The increase in heat coming off the headers is a major issue, though. If you want to wrap them, remember that moisture under the wrap (which contacts the headers) makes for a lot of rust. You should have them either ceramicoated and wrap, or buy the heat shield matting like I went with.

They are long tube headers, so you might need to fabricate a new exhaust up to your mufflers. Use an H-pipe with them too. Really helps smooth out the pulses and evacuate gas. I would go with the Heddman's again in a heart beat, but I would wrap them before I mount them. It really is a pain trying to get that wrap on there when they are in place.

Jose

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanderson headers. Keep in mind good headers are not cheap.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
A remark by Jose who may be at work and can get back with you later.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I mentioned, a couple members here have recently considered headers and some got them. Give this question awhile to soak, and you may hear something helpful.

shaunswim
Explorer
Explorer
JD, I know the Banks and Thorley system are expensive alright LOL. We don't have to test for emissions here.