cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help finding small 4wd camper....

outdoornate65
Explorer
Explorer
Wow....been awhile since I've visited with the fine folks on this forum. We had a PUP and then a TT before a divorce and relocation to CO changed all that 3 years ago.

I've been tent-camping since moving to Colorado because I like the "off the beaten path" places that I can get to in my 4-Runner. That said, my old bones are tired of sleeping on the ground and airing out wet tents once I get home.

Like so many other folks, my GF and I found ourselves discussing what would be the perfect "rig" for us, on the way home from last weekend's outing.

Our criteria:

4-WD or AWD
No towing.....I'm over towing anything.
Smallish
Ability to keep everything in the rig...ready to go.
Good reliability....I'm handy but not a mechanic.
Basic systems: don't need fancy stuff.
Budget: $20k...used is fine.

So my question for you guys: What are the options available to me? I've seen some older Tiger Provans that look interesting. VW Westfalias are cool but the Synchros (4WD) are nutty expensive and rare.

Hopefully there are a handful of rigs out there I've not yet discovered and would be very grateful if you you folks got me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks much,

Nate
13 REPLIES 13

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at a 4X4 pickup with truck camper?

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine bought an E350 4 wheel drive extended van with big off road tires brush guards and winch on front. He did a nice simple bed and gally and a heavy duty lugage rack and light bar on top. lOOKS like a go anywhere all terrain vehicle. i have seen similar rigs out west with generators and roof did air. I did a milder version with my hi top E150. Been on many a back road and camped in comfort.

Been all over the country with this, including back country gravel/dirt mountain roads.
click on pic
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Explorer
Explorer
You may find a used Roadtrek with AWD/4WD. They have been made. Roadtrek sent them out from their factory to a conversion factory for AWD/4WD up until about two years ago when it was an option. As far as a budget of $20,000 it is unlikely that you will find even a 2WD in any decent condition. These start at $90,000 new and go up.

Keep in mind that even with AWD or 4WD there is very low ground clearance and these cannot be used off road. You run the risk of hitting bottom and destroying a lot of systems that hang below the chassis.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

outdoornate65
Explorer
Explorer
Part of my criteria was not wanting to tow anything.

If we got a 4x4 camper van, I'd sell my 4-Runner and buy a commuter car for work. GF also has (new)4-Runner.

acsimon
Explorer
Explorer
Go to expedition portal.com. There are tons of 4runner owners on that forum. Post your question regarding options available that meet your criteria.

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
We are in BC Canada and for off roading around here there are some real neat 2 wheel off road tent trailers
where the the beds are on top of the trailer and all cooking and storage are below the bed. They are very
reasonable also. Good luck

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
4wd rv's are pretty pricey. Used ones aren't cheap either.

You already own the 4-runner. I'd bet your cheapest option would be to figure out how to make that part of you setup. What can you tow with your 4-runner? Maybe there is a rugged TT.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a truck camper.

Look at the trip reports in the TC forum that Whazoo has taken.

outdoornate65
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I'd really consider looking at the Truck Campers... They are not like the old days truck campers...

Of course the downside is you have to deal with breaking camp to head for town to get supplies etc...

Being a avid tent campers from the late 50's up to just a few years ago the game plan was a Jeep pulling a utility trailer and we camped all over the high country of Arizona back in those days.

I am using the off-road jacked up POPUP trailer now and it still fits my needs just fine.

This is my off-road camper... Has all the comforts of home...

We quit sleeping on the ground when they came out with the fold-up beds that had insert slots for air mattresses. Our three room 12X15 tent also had all the comforts of home in it...

Roy Ken

Roy,

Since I have a very nicely rigged 4-Runner, I have considered all the off-road oriented trailers, like AT....Sierra and the pop-ups.
I don't do any hardcore off-roading but do typically camp in dispersed state forest sites or primitive campgrounds. Often here in CO that means extended travel on dirt roads. I'm concerned about how the Fleetwood/Jayco campers would hold up to this type of use....what has your experience been?

Appreciate your feedback...

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nate SM has a forum with a big community, they have a classified page...good luck.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd really consider looking at the Truck Campers... They are not like the old days truck campers...

Of course the downside is you have to deal with breaking camp to head for town to get supplies etc...

Being a avid tent campers from the late 50's up to just a few years ago the game plan was a Jeep pulling a utility trailer and we camped all over the high country of Arizona back in those days.

I am using the off-road jacked up POPUP trailer now and it still fits my needs just fine.

This is my off-road camper... Has all the comforts of home...

We quit sleeping on the ground when they came out with the fold-up beds that had insert slots for air mattresses. Our three room 12X15 tent also had all the comforts of home in it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

outdoornate65
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
I like Tiger the best but $20,000 maybe try to find a used Sportsmobile....

SM is one of my dream rigs....never crossed my mind there might be some in my price-range...worth a look.

Probably more than I (and most people) need.

Thanks...

Nate

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Tiger the best but $20,000 maybe try to find a used Sportsmobile....