cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! No 12V or 110V power

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Well, everything was going fine.....plugged into shore power at my home. All lights worked, AC ran, all good.

THEN......

I started generator while still plugged into shore power. AC, lights, and refer were all on. Then lights went out, AC stopped, and refer turned off... and almost all 12V items are dead...except for power slide and the power step.

What went wrong?
I'm not sure I should plug back into shore power???
I checked 12V fuses all appear good.
I checked AC breakers and they did not break. Turned them off and back on.

Is it the transfer switch? I can hear it running before I disconnected it.

Generator runs fine but will not power AC or anything

Where should I start?

I hope I did not fry my entire system:(

Thanks for the assistance.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
11 REPLIES 11

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe removing those 30A fuses on the 'CONVERTER" (not inverter as you posted) and reinstalling them allowed for good contact.
Either one of those NOT making good contact will not allow for ANY 12V DC from 'Converter' or battery

As for the 120V AC...
opening up ATS and 'exercising contacts (pushing on them) freed them up

Any way you now have 120V AC and 12V DC
Along with a better understanding of your ATS and Converter :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baja, Are you making any progress on this?

I think there may be some confusion based on the Shore Tie and Generator 120 Volts AC being "30-amp service" and the 30-amp auto fuse on the 12-volt-DC Converter/Charger unit.

Is your ONAN generator a MicroQuiet, 4KY series? If so, there's a circuit breaker ON the genny itself. Remove the access cover with its two latches. Facing you, there's the Start/Stop Switch. "Around the corner" to the right, lies the breaker, on the side of the panel with the Start/Stop on the Front.
To be ON, the Breaker Handle needs to be pulled toward you.

I'm gonna take a flyer here, and suggest that the Auto Transfer Switch/ATS did it job and threw the shore tie load to the genny. But the genny couldn't handle the surge and tripped that little breaker.

Problem with this logic, is the ATS should have flopped the load back over to the Shore Tie. Unless that was too much surge, too.

Something else I've learned. We have a 31-ft with 15000 Coleman A/C, an ONAN 4KY, and an ATS. Sounds like your setup. If the A/C is running, I can start the generator and it'll pick up the A/C "seamlessly." The A/C keeps running. But when I try plugging into shore tie with A/C running, then shutting the ONAN off, the transfer is ragged, and the A/C loses power for long enough that the compressor stalls on high head pressure.

Doing what I just said isn't a good idea, and I've stopped doing it. Our A/C doesn't have any compressor timeout built in, so I now shut it off before transferring either way, and wait about 10 minutes before re-starting it. Just wanted to point out that odd things happen on connect/disconnect to 30-amp 120 VAC power with heavy loads running.

Something's got your Converter/Charger (OB's third pic) offline. Your Step and Slide are no doubt hard wired right to your Coach (House) battery, and the other stuff you're missing is driven by the C/C unit.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I don't what I did, but everything works fine now!

1. I removed the (2) 30A blade fuses from inverter (INTELI POWER 9100 - model PD9160A). Both were good and I reinstalled.

2. I opened up the ATS box (same one as image above - IOTA ITS-30R) and insured all connections were tight. Nothing loose. I pused on contacts several times. Nothing stuck. Closed box.

3. I switched generator 30 amp switch off and back on. It was not tripped.

4. I plugged in shore power. Turned on lights and they worked. Tried AC and all good. Micro, TV amd all 12V items worked as they should.

5. I unplugged shore power. Turned on genny. Waited a minute. Turned on AC and it worked fine.

Everything is back to normal.

What could it have been?

Thanks for the support!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:

1. Where are generator fuses?
ON THE GEN CONTROL PANEL OR NEAR OUTPUT CABLE

2. The transfer switch has two 30amp blade fuses. I thought these blade fuses were for 12 Volts....seems odd on a transfer switch.

Don't know of a 120V AC auto transfer switch with 30A fuses ??

How many power cords are connected to this device with the 30A fuses?

For a 120V AC ATS there would be ONE from shore power cord, ONE from Generator and ONE going out to MAIN AC PANEL

30A Fuses on a ATS :H

30A ATS

Converter has 30A 'reverse Polarity' fuses for battery/converter protection.

Converter with 30A 'Reverse Polarity' fuses

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Onan gas 4000
Equal-i-zer 10K

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do check both fuses.
Do shut off the generator.
Do plug into shore power.
Do reset any GFCI outlets.

What make and model is the generator?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
1. Where are generator fuses?

2. The transfer switch has two 30amp blade fuses. I thought these blade fuses were for 12 Volts....seems odd on a transfer switch.

3. Are there fuses directly on the inverter/converter?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
1. What converter and where are its fuses?
2. Typically, where are house battery fuses?
3. I know the transfer switch has two 30amp blade type fuses. I checked one and it was fine. I need to check the second one?

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
From experience: check the inverter/converter, in my previous coach after an overload I had to replace the 2 20amp fuses on the unit. It was hidden in the kitchen cabinet next to the frig...found it by accident when I almost gave up. Also, two circuit breakers on the generator. If you think you know what your doing you can open the transfer switch and see if the contacts are being pulled into place. (my electrician friend did this when we were in Mexico and the power was too high to pass through the transfer switch). Good luck

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check generator circuit breakers

Next would be transfer switch...may not have swapped to gen side

Turn everything off
Plug into shore power and see if you get AC power

Then unplug shore power----start gen and see if ATS swaps and you get AC power

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kill the generator. Plug in to shore power. Take your volt meter and start tracing power. Main fuses ar converter, fuse at house battery, fuse at transfer switch.