cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Here We Go Again, Gas Will Be Above $4 a Gallon By Summer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gas prices killed a lot of rv business when it went above $4 once before, and with the problems in Ukraine it might go above $4 again, its $3.70 a gal today in Vegas..

I am now going to have to plan shorter smarter trips to keep the cost down but will never give up my rving life style..

http://www.sgvtribune.com/business/20140415/southern-california-gas-prices-soar-above-4-a-gallon
53 REPLIES 53

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I am waiting for someone to build a Class A on a Tesla chassis ๐Ÿ˜‰
Yup, and it might get 50 miles on a charge! Then what?
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I saw $4.25 a gallon on south Whidbey Island on Saturday. Our local Safeway is $3.78 and the tribal Chevron $3.76.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I am waiting for someone to build a Class A on a Tesla chassis ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Costco Amex CC. We get 5% back at several of the main gas stations. The rebate comes once per year and we can use it at Costco for purchases or cash the check at Costco for cash.

It's hard paying so much for gas but getting something in return helps. We also use King Soopers (Kroger/City Market chain) which allows you to redeem your gas points at Shell stations. 10cents off a gallon at a time. Not huge but it's better than nothing.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe, but the key word is "might" because no one knows. It might be $4 this summer or $3.25. If it hits $4 we will just "ride it out" . Really, the difference between $3.50 and $4 may not be that much compared to how much our RV's are depreciating every year.
Jayco-noslide

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
If you have a smartphone or tablet, get the GasBuddy app. It's free and you don't have to join anything. Just download it... press "find gas near me" (or enter the town where you want to fill up.) You get a list of stations and recently reported prices. View by map, get directions, distance from your current location.

Saves us a ton of money, since it also has diesel prices. We try to remember to enter what we paid, so the next guy knows - only takes a second. It's surprising how different prices can be less than a mile apart.

Costco has good gas prices if you're a member. Just wish they carried diesel.

Some Sams Clubs carry diesel. Our local one does, price is best around, and that's the only place locally that I buy diesel.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
jmcgsd wrote:
4.39 at the Chevron on my corner in San Diego. $4.15 at the independent down the street. Why do people keep patronizing Chevron???

Because Chevron has fuel. And people need fuel.

Why do people by name brand toilet paper? Name brand dog food or laundry detergent? All the same concept.

Mom and Pop gas station has unbranded fuel. And some prefer to NOT buy that because they don't know where it comes from.

SHRUG

Not sure there's any difference but the advertising.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Oil is a commodity traded on an open market. The companies producing, refining, and selling it are in business to make as much profit they can within the regulatory structure. The price of gasoline as noted by an earlier poster has many factors to it. The price of gasoline will be affected by seasonal changes, crude oil supply, refining and distribution costs. It has been this way a long time now. The only thing that has changed in the last few years is the supply is now more stable due to production increases in the U.S. and for that I am thankful. The fact that we are not beholden to those who have sworn to destroy us is refreshing. In fact it is probably time for a new oil cartel to emerge, a North American Energy Consortium. Perhaps it already exists and I am just uninformed.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Here is one explanation about the price of gas. Of course if it does not agree with someone's preconceived reason for the high cost, it is all a lie. Factors affecting the price of fuel

Good article. The Baaken oil has come into the market for sure. The transportation cost by rail is more expensive than by pipeline. The oil companies will manage their oil intake to keep the prices up. The trouble is they use any excuse of world problems, such as the Ukraine troubles, to jack up the retail prices. We get much of our oil from this side of the world. JMHO.

California gasoline prices are higher as they have stricter rules on tail pipe emmissions.

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
From the US Energy Information Administration site:

EIA expects that regular-grade gasoline retail prices, which averaged $3.58/gal last summer, will average $3.57/gal during the current summer (April through September) driving season.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Looked on Gas Buddy yesterday as we bought regular for $4.11 here in Riverside County CA. As soon as you cross borders into AZ or NV....goes down markedly. Getting more reasons each year to relocate our domicile to our place in NV. This may be the year. Gas tax plus the CA Franchise Tax Board "Sour Spot" for Mid-high Middle Class taxpayers.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on taking my first trip from Mid-NC to San Diego and back in July... I planned on $4/gal, but it looks like I need to increase that. Just increasing from $4 to $5 adds about $650 to my trip. Ouch.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Here is one explanation about the price of gas. Of course if it does not agree with someone's preconceived reason for the high cost, it is all a lie. Factors affecting the price of fuel
That does a fairly good job of explaining the overall picture of the pricing of gas, unfortunately its logic is still well above the average consumer's ability to understand it. :S
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
Paid $4.14/gal. yesterday at Study Butte, TX. Remote. Only station in town.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)