cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High altitude driving issues

havinablast
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone else had issues with temperature going up on their motorhome when you are driving at high altitudes? It also feels kind of sluggish. We drive a 2000 Fleetwood discovery. Temp comes right down when altitude drops. And it drives fine. Any suggestions.
22 REPLIES 22

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
3% loss in power per 1,000' of altitude increase is correct.

I put my Allison in "D" and let it decide which gear to use...that procedure has worked so far.
2014 American Eagle

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
With a normally aspirated engine (no turbo or super charger) you will be loosing something like 10% of your horse power for each thousand feet you go above sea level. If you have a turbo diesel or turbo charged gasser, this power loss is almost non existent. Also keep in mind that water (also coolant) will boil at a MUCH lower temperature at high altitude so you MAY have lost some water from your radiator. Check to be certain you have a GOOD radiator cap on your engine to keep the coolant under correct operating pressure.

More like 3% per1000 feet

Explorer
Explorer
Higher altitudes means thinner (less dense) air. Assuming similar air temps, there will be less cooling at higher altitudes. Also, part of being at higher altitudes usually means climbing long grades-----that means higher engine temps also.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

snickster
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most of the advice given here.
I've been driving in high altitudes for many years. It is normal to run a little hotter , however if you are running temps high enough to be harmful , I would certainly clean the charge air cooler and the radiator fins with a good degreaser. This is probably the culprit from what you describe.

For the last several years we have been in the CO mountains going over passes between 11,000 - 12,000 feet. As someone else mentioned , it is very important to keep your RPMs up by downshifting while going up these grades. The lower the RPMs the lower the fan speed. If the temps start increasing too much, back off your speed.

The best way to monitor all this is with a Silverleaf monitoring system. Using one of these systems can really help put you in control of these situations.
I use a Silverleaf VMSPC . I don't like to be without it.

Good Luck !
The snickster
Mark and Priscilla
98 HR ENDEAVOR 37 WDS Diesel
Jeep Wrangler Toad
THE YORKIES : Winston , Abby, Izzy

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
With mechanical injection pump at high altitude you will in effect have more fuel to air and with more fuel you will build heat.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Not for me Brett, as I am now unfortunately on LTOT or long term oxygen therapy so I just crank up the concentrator. Do not know if that is turbo or supercharging but it does serve the purpose. BTW the concentrator starts to de-rate at 10,000 ft. just like the turbo.

wolfe10 wrote:
It takes more breaths of air at 10,000' to supply your body than at sea level!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
Superchargers are engine driven intake manifold air compressors and therefore have parasitic drag, but do not have the lag associated with turbo spool.

Turbo chargers are exhaust gas driven manifold air compressors and do not have parasitic drag, but by nature have a lag in the time it takes to increase the intake manifold pressure.

Pros and cons to each method of increasing intake manifold pressure.

Mal

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Super chargers were originally developed for high altitude fighter planes and bombers to compensate for the lower atmospheric pressure at high altitudes. Turbo chargers are nothing more than superchargers that make use of exhaust gas expelled through a small turbine to spin the supercharger.
Steve

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
I agree and you could change the equation by changing the carb jets based on altitude.

nohurry wrote:
Skip, I always enjoy and respect your posts, but that 10% per 1000 ft can't be right can it? That would mean if a N/A engine was running at 7000 feet elevation, it would only have 30% of its power. I know there is some loss, but I have heard figures in the 3% per 1000ft range.

And, to a degree, modern fuel injected engines compensate for altitude by adjusting mixture-- the Oxygen sensor(s) input to the computer does this. It can keep mixture at the stoichiometric ratio.

It will NOT put more oxygen molecules in the air-- so power WILL be down at higher elevations since there are fewer molecules per cubic foot of air.

Just the same for people. It takes more breaths of air at 10,000' to supply your body than at sea level!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Correct, my truck is tuned for 5000' feet, as that is the base altitude it operates at.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I agree and you could change the equation by changing the carb jets based on altitude.

nohurry wrote:
Skip, I always enjoy and respect your posts, but that 10% per 1000 ft can't be right can it? That would mean if a N/A engine was running at 7000 feet elevation, it would only have 30% of its power. I know there is some loss, but I have heard figures in the 3% per 1000ft range.

EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
With a normally aspirated engine (no turbo or super charger) you will be loosing something like 10% of your horse power for each thousand feet you go above sea level. If you have a turbo diesel or turbo charged gasser, this power loss is almost non existent. Also keep in mind that water (also coolant) will boil at a MUCH lower temperature at high altitude so you MAY have lost some water from your radiator. Check to be certain you have a GOOD radiator cap on your engine to keep the coolant under correct operating pressure.

Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
First suggestion is have you cleaned the radiator, then fuel filters and air cleaner. Turbo charged engines stat to de-rate above 10,000 feet. On steep climes it is better IMHO to downshift and keep the RPMs up ~3000 over peak torque RPM.

EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Are you downshifting manually to keep the RPMs up? Or are you just letting the automatic decide when to shift? Try climbing in 4th - not as fast, but will keep the RPMs up.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog