cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway suitability for RV's

newbytorv
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a website that gives highway suitability for RV travel; opinions, recomendations, concerns, etc. Specifically Utah, Wyoming highway 89.

Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime you are concerned about a road, or just about anything on your planned route, look it up on google maps street view.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
427435 wrote:
If it has a state or federal # on it, it can be driven in an RV. Some will require good driving skills and going slow like the one going north from Durango, Colorado.

Definitely not true...all paved roads are not suitable for all RVs. You need to check it out if unsure.

Many paved roads in the U.S. have vehicle length restrictions.

I didn't say all paved roads---------------I said all paved roads with a State or Federal # on them. I do agree that there could be a few with length or overhead clearance restrictions, but they are few and far between and well marked.

After being in 45 states, I've only run into one I had to detour and that was an overhead clearance issue-----------------and I don't think it was a state or federal road.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itchey Feet wrote:
From our travels we have NOT found a paved road in the highway system that cannot be traveled W/ an RV. Not saying there are not some but we have traveled all the states in the west (including) Alaska in a truck camper and a 34' travel trailer. No dents or scratches but you will need to heed height problems, trees and low bridges (those are marked W/ height signs), the bridges that is. JMHO

There are in fact paved roads out there not suitable for RV's. Highway's 4 and 108 over the Sierra's just to name two. Highway 108 can be done, and I actually did it once in a 30 foot Class C, but I would not do it in my 35 foot DP.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
If it has a state or federal # on it, it can be driven in an RV. Some will require good driving skills and going slow like the one going north from Durango, Colorado.

Definitely not true...all paved roads are not suitable for all RVs. You need to check it out if unsure.

Many paved roads in the U.S. have vehicle length restrictions.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Plus an autographed souvenir from either NC or TN troopers. Totally paved, but restricted to vehicles/combo's of 30 feet or less. Similar story on the Co Hwy 82 over Independence Pass between Aspen and Twin Lakes.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
427435 wrote:

I agree with this even going further to if it's paved BUT like every rule there are exceptions. US 129 north of Andrews NC... The Dragon. It can be done but all of the one finger salute from the motorcycles will let you know you are not welcome on it as they try and kill themselves.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The thing about the Truckers Atlas is that there are many very nice roads that truckers aren't allowed so by using the atlas, RVers think they can't go there. RVers can go many places that truckers can't.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Purchase a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas, available at most Truck Stops. If it is good for large Trucks, any RV can travel it! Gives a good idea of what roads are great to travel on. Happy travels.

Explorer
Explorer
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
by the way, HWY 89 thru Utah is windy, sometimes construction, but a nice drive in daytime, would avoid at night.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Most writers on the subject seem to stick to the well traveled safe roads. not the Million Dollar Hwy in Colorado, or HWy 49 in CA, or South on HWY 1 in CA, or many other thrilling roads that I can't recall the names of and will forever avoid, as my wife told me so.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just watch the grade(up or down). Mountain Directory will tell when something is getting steep. 6% or less is easy, 7% to 10% may need to go extra slow and gear down, 12%+ maybe find another route until you have some experience. Otherwise a bit slower when conditions dictate and go have some fun.

Or is this about winding roads, no guardrails and drop offs? Face your fears and go slow.

CA has some RV/Bus maps where longer vehicles are not appropriate.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been on a paved road that wasn't just fine. Its the dirt roads like the ones I have traveled in the past couple of days that are the questionable ones.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I use copilot app
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat