cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hit a tree in the rv park

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it was a great weekend camping at jetty park at Cape Canaveral. But I had a oops moment as soon as a i got there. I have been back my rvs up for many years now and consider my self a simi pro at it. So I pull to the sit the " holds a 39foot rv" I do what i have been doing for many years I back up get the rear tires on the slab line my with the edge then back up looking out the drivers side till i get the front tires on the slab. This time as soon as my front tires hit the slab i give i little gas to bump it on. Little it I realized there was a tell palm tree dead center for the slab about a foot from it. Needless to say as soon as I pump the gas to get over the slab I hit the tree ruining the bumper of my RV. I have to say I've been doing this for a long time never once as I seen a tree park in the back of a slab in the dead center Outback close. Normally I would hang the RV over the back of the slab by about 6 or 8 feet Soma water and electric lines up. So yes I blame myself for not noticing that tree but at the same time I'm thinking who in the world would put a tree dead center of a camping pad that was supposedly rated for a 39 foot and -36 foot. Had I not put the front wheels on the slab the front of the motorhome would have been in the street.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
43 REPLIES 43

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Something like that happens to all of us sooner or later.
Jayco-noslide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, if he admitted it was his fault, why make the RV Park pay for it?

Acceptance of responsibility includes accepting the consequences.

I never in a million years would have tried to get the park to pay for the damage.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the comments are surprising. It was definitely the fault of the campground.

Now, you owners of campgrounds will go trim/remove your trees!

Nothing is more irritating than trees in the wrong place scratching our motorhomes. And, don't put huge boulders at the edge of a curve! ??? why? So what if our wheels crush the grass a little. Apparently you didn't make the driveway big enough.

I would rather crush your grass than dent my motorhome. MAKE the roads wider!

I'm done ranting.

MM.

PS. I'm 95% kidding and 5% serious. Trim the tress a little.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Glad to see we have established it is the fault of the park. In retrospect it is pretty stupid of a park to have trees. Guess I am just very lucky that over the years I haven't been drug to court over the vicious trees, rocks and utility hookups that have attacked people's rigs. If parks had to pay for damages caused by their evil trees, rocks and utilities there wouldn't be room in bankruptcy court for them all. That park supposedly paying for the damages is one of the stupidest business decisions I have ever heard.

I normally agree with your posts. In retrospect...maybe you are being stupid attacking the OP and myself. Maybe you have had a long, long hot summer...but you are out of line. He admitted his mistake...YOU attacked him, and me, like others have attacked the OP. Nobody said anything about EVIL trees, rocks, utilities, they get hit...it happens all the time. IT IS AN ACCIDENT! Then people are accusing OP of mowing down children! Move on. If the park is covering costs of damages...that is THEIR choice, not yours.

If anything, most of us have taken away from this is to stop, use a spotter. Even then...I have read posts where their "spotter" has backed them into a fence or something.

Too bad we can't all be as perfect as you Western RV Park Owner.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
In defense of the OP here over the crazy attacks, many of you are missing the point of why he hit the tree. He admitted it was his fault, and it was. Should have been watching better no doubt about it. But he was apparently told the site was for a 39' motorhome and his was 36'. He should have been able to fit his motorhome in without hitting the tree. Sounds like the space should have been listed as 35 foot, not 39 foot! Now don't go jumping on me, because no matter what you're told about the size of the site, it's up to the driver to watch and make sure. So I'm not giving him a pass, just pointing out you can see how this happened. And like I said, I hit a stack of wood with my motorhome while backing it into my shop. Not only did I know the stack of wood was there, I was the one that put it there!!! I was just trying to get the motorhome within 6" and I succeeded. Luckily all I did was knock my wood over, dent my tail pipe, and put some rub marks on the gelcoat.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 20+ year old tree in a 20+ CG and it's their fault... Not responsible for your actions. You are not welcome in my RV park as I left lots of shade trees.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
@ OP I think you know you goofed. Hitting a stationary object is never good.
You are right we have all made a bad move at one time or another.
But one thing I always do is get out and walk the site. I observe any gotchas.
I make sure electric appears OK . I note where all utilities are.
I look for things I may not be able to see from the driver's seat like a fire ring. I take notice of any tree limbs.
Yes I do this each and every time.
Trying to scan things from the drivers seat without actually walking the site can/will/may lead to a mishap.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
No traveling companion to help guide you back? My wife always guides me so I don't hit trees, tables, posts or back off a cliff.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, did this ever take on a life I didn't expect. I guess a lesson here buried in all the other discussion. Vision is limited in these big rigs even with a lot of mirrors and cameras and even obstacle detectors. The more eyes outside the better. Walk arounds remain the best tool coming and going. And even with all the precautions accidents happen and we kick ourselves. I looked that site over I thought thoroughly and never saw the spigot was twisted about 10 inches inward. That scratch drove me crazy until I traded and will never forget it. I now walke around and not just stand and look.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
David0725 wrote:
Well if this makes it any better my cousin was standing right next to the tree guiding me. I did look around and there was no one in sight not even my cousin at the time. But yes I assumed that my 36 foot motorhome was going to fit and a 39-foot spot and not stick out in the street. So I do as most people and look up the driver side to make sure I'm lined up with everything water sewer Electric and such even looking at the camera the tree was not in my site at that particular time. The point to this Pros what how many campsites have you been to that they stick a palm tree 1 foot off the slab? By the way after taking pictures are the campgrounds they agreed to pay for the damage based on the situation so although I may look like the idiot this was a fluke accident. Like I said I've done this for many years the post wasnt ment for Haters. I could probably pick out something most rv's doing wrong at every camp site.

I am glad, although amazed, that the park paid for your repairs. I was not trying to be mean or a "hater" when I commented. We all commit errors from time to time and I am certainly no exception. However, I never back into a spot unless the wife is back there spotting and reporting on the radio to me. I may have to change that method since I have learned, from this thread, that children do not play in vacant spaces and would never cut behind my moving vehicle. And no, I am not turning in my keys and neither should anyone else. We just just all need to be more careful and aware.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow... and you got the campground to pay for your repairs! Holy ****. Now I've heard and seen everything.

Im in the camp where I get out and look at the site before I even start backing up. Even pulling up, I've got to believe you would have seen the tree, but maybe assumed it would not interfere with your RV.

I can't imagine the campground agreeing to pay for your repairs. I've never assumed the pad equaled the site size.

First time for everything I reckon.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
David, I totally agree with you on trees being to close to the RV pad, regardless of where the trees are at! I'm sorry that there is minor damage to your coach and here comes my national anthem "I'll never do that again".

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if this makes it any better my cousin was standing right next to the tree guiding me. I did look around and there was no one in sight not even my cousin at the time. But yes I assumed that my 36 foot motorhome was going to fit and a 39-foot spot and not stick out in the street. So I do as most people and look up the driver side to make sure I'm lined up with everything water sewer Electric and such even looking at the camera the tree was not in my site at that particular time. The point to this Pros what how many campsites have you been to that they stick a palm tree 1 foot off the slab? By the way after taking pictures are the campgrounds they agreed to pay for the damage based on the situation so although I may look like the idiot this was a fluke accident. Like I said I've done this for many years the post wasnt ment for Haters. I could probably pick out something most rv's doing wrong at every camp site.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
So when the guy drove up to the site he would not have seen kids playing and running around on HIS site? Give me a break. The tree was not moving...did not notice it. An absolute danger to others in the park...wow!

Just how many kids have been run over in an rv park? Probably ZERO.

But those poor trees, boulders, water spigots...hundreds.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. Your mistake, of which I'm sure you're kicking yourself for, can help the rest of us. And, I'm sure you learned from it. Even those who are really cautious can use a reminder from time to time how easy it is to make a mistake.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking