cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding tank issues

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I have been reading and reading. Our grey tank is clogged. Hubby has tried everything that anyone anywhere on the Internet has suggested but he just found this which no one suggested:

Camco RV Dual Flush Pro http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Flush-Holding-Rinser/dp/B000BUQOAE

Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
Jo, Elliott, Cloey and Zoey, Havanese sisters
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.
19 REPLIES 19

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it going. Gauges are not reliable. I'm not familiar with a Panda washing machine but is there a way to attach some kind of screening on the exit hose to catch all the lint before it goes into the grey tank?

Still....I wouldn't think lint would clog up the grey tank that fast.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, the problem is fixed.

We did everything...started with baking soda and vinegar and hot water, bought one of those things I posted at WalMart, used a hose, used a hanger type thingy, and warning.....we put in RidX.

The gauge may have been off. Nothing noticeable came out but since it happened right after we used our Panda (washing machine) I think there was lint somewhere. So all is well. This unit is just a little over a year old but we are planning on trading up in two years. Can't wait to have a real washer and dryer and maybe maybe fewer problems.

THANK YOU
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my Class A RV used. It was a monument to neglect and abuse. The previous owner cooked with grease and oil a lot and apparently dumped most of it down the drain. Shortly after I purchased the rig my grey water tank clogged and I restarted it by shoving a hose up the drain. A few weeks later I noticed the tank was leaking. Further inspection found an 18" crack that had been sealed with waste grease that had collected in the tank bottom. Unfortunately, when the drain had clogged earlier the weight of the water in the tank reopened the crack. It wasn't immediately apparent because the tank had an insulated shell surrounding it where it extended into a storage bay. I ended up replacing the tank, to the tune of about $550 for a new tank, plumbing parts, and spray-on insulation for the section of the tank located outside of the storage bay. It's taking a while but I'm slowly making my rig right. None of the problems I've encountered kept me from taking my 5,400 mile Grand Western North America Tour and Shakedown Journey last year.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we were lucky, we never had any problem with our black or grey tanks in 7.5 yrs. Honestly, I can't imagine what someone could put in a grey tank that would completely stop it up. Unless, it is the cut-out plug that was mentioned. Again, what manufacturer would do such a thing. They should be held responsible for the repair if they are dropping the cut-out in the tank (lazy).

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
If the clog is not from the hole cut out, I would try unique rv treatment. I use it and works great. They say that it will unclog a blockage within 24 hrs. If you have a clog then dump 32 oz in and let it work. Again will work if not plastic plug. Just google it and you can see what it states.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had our grey tank clogged 1 time and used the Flush King to unplug it. It was probably a combination of hair and grease as I bathe our small dog, have long hair myself and no matter how hard you try, some grease gets down the drain in the dishwater. We did a flush with it and it blew the clog apart so it could drain. That will also add the 3rd valve if left installed.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Local RV Mobile Repair is my go to ALL the time for repairs.
If they are at a CG go up to the office and ask who they use for RV Mobile Repair.

Mobile repair is inexpensive and they have seen it all and are very experienced at all things broke on an RV AND the most important thing is....they have all the parts needed right on board their trucks.

Mu guess is the mobile repair guy will have the coach up and running in less than an hour. While you guys sit back and have a cold one!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Has he tried taking apart the dump valve to look for a cutout blocking the exit hole?

If it's a BRAND NEW coach, this is most likely the issue. The cutout from the hole the factory punched to put the drain piping into the tank is roaming around the tank. Even if you back flush and get it working for a while, eventually the cutout will make it's way back to cover the drain.

Ah yes the infamous Georgetown plastic disk in the tank problem! We've been battling this since 2011 on our unit. The Georgetown factory warranty folks have admitted that it is a problem but I've found the solution without having to drive to Indiana to have it fixed. When the gray is blocked to a trickle this is what I do. It sounds complicated but really isn't:

Notice that the black tank and gray tank both drain into the same outlet that you connect hose to.

Buy and install a third gate valve on the outlet that the hose is connected to. You can get this twist on third valve from any RV store.

Close the third valve.

Open the BLACK valve and any liquid in the black tank will force the air bubble trapped between the three valves and blow the disk that was left over from construction that's plugging the gray tank drain hole away from the opening. Only open the black valve long enough to hear the gurgling stop. Maybe a second...then close the black valve.

Now open the third valve that you purchased and the gray will drain!

If you have a problem with black possibly going into the gray tank then first drain the black tank and refill to maybe a third with the tank flush system and then do the procedure.

Have fun!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it's clogged or is it that your gauge just isn't working and says it's full but it really isn't? Is the water entering your shower? That's when it's full.

It's very unusual for grey tanks to have problems unless you dump coffee grounds, food scraps or grease down it. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Has he tried taking apart the dump valve to look for a cutout blocking the exit hole?

If it's a BRAND NEW coach, this is most likely the issue. The cutout from the hole the factory punched to put the drain piping into the tank is roaming around the tank. Even if you back flush and get it working for a while, eventually the cutout will make it's way back to cover the drain.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Seek professional help please before you flood your RV. It is highly unusual for a gray tank to be clogged.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
jobythebay wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
Is the dump valve sticking in the closed position? Not sure what would be causing a clog in the grey tank, besides maybe hair from the shower or food particles from the kitchen sink.

No the valve is fine. I agree we don't know either!! We are very careful, except we did buy a Panda (washing machine thingy) and think maybe lint got in but where it is and how to get it out...well we have tried everything except a mobile RV fixit person.

:h He said that's above his pay grade :E

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where you are located - but it may be time for professional help - like these guys - RV Holding Tank Cleaning

I've seen one of a similar service at work - and it is impressive - and relatively cheap - about $125.

Search your local area - and get a firm price before anyone comes out.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Product in question

It looks very similar to the "Flush King" brand but it's much less expensive.
I use my "Flush King" periodically with the GEO tank cleaning method and they seems to do a very good job of cleaning clinging debris but it’s according what your blockage consists of. If it’s manufacturing debris or very old dried body waste there is not much you can do without taking the valves off and getting inside the tank.

Good luck

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia