cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding tank treatment

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Which of these three do you think is the best holding tank treatment?

Happy Campers Odorless Holding Tank Treatment
Pure Power Blue Holding Tank Treatment
Bio-Active Holding Tank Treatment
Something else

I know to use plenty of water and it's a holding tank and it's going to stink.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
31 REPLIES 31

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We use or have used several different ones. The little packets are convenient but we have liquid on board too Camco, probably.
Our tanks black and gray are flushed when we dump before pulling out. Fill tanks to capacity, and empty the black first and let the flushing continue for five minutes, let water into the tank for five minuets or so so there is probably five gallons, in the black tank, of clean water.
Let the gray tank drain that is only soapy water and flush for a few minutes and close valve.
Driving down the road with a few gallons of water, in the tank insures there isn't any buildup anywhere.
We have put liquid soap in the black tank and water softener.
Then when we turn on the water through the flush system it all gets stirred around good before draining.
Through the opaque elbow, at the end of the, drain hose you can see the effect and quite a bit of foam.
That gets it about as clean, I suppose you can.
Just don't go with flushing the tank properly or sitting for a very long time with stuff in the tank.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
I have been using https://uniquemm.com/products/rv-digest-it-holding-tank-treatment for many years. No smell and the sensors work. And is available at many hardware store as well as some RV stores. I do flush well after ever time I empty the tank. The mfg claims that flushing the black tank is not necessary, but I do it anyway.

really which manufacturer was telling you that? flushing black tank is not required??

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using https://uniquemm.com/products/rv-digest-it-holding-tank-treatment for many years. No smell and the sensors work. And is available at many hardware store as well as some RV stores. I do flush well after ever time I empty the tank. The mfg claims that flushing the black tank is not necessary, but I do it anyway.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
We normally use "Free Samples" given out at rally's, dealers and RV Shows.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

DANO2014
Explorer
Explorer
The best solution I found was through RVUgrades.com!
You can Purchase a Chemical called "Blue Streak" which comes with a small holding tank that attaches to the wall next to Toilet. It comes with hoses and fittings to cut and splice into your toilet hose direct so that every time you flush you automatically add this chemical in your black tank! This hookup comes with 3 bottles of chemical and tank for about $40.00. Very easy to install and will definitely reduce your chemical usages considerably. 3 bottles of chemical will last approximately 4-6 months! Smells like Baby Powder, water in Toilet stats pretty & Blue! I did not regret this purchase not too mention resolved the SMELLY PROBLEM ! ?? LSU
DANO2014
Allegro Bus 2002
Retired: Cameron Iron Wks
U.S. Army Veteran
Louisiana Masons

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
36guy wrote:
30 years, all I've ever used is septic tank treatment, currently using septonic, but septic tank treatment stuff is available in every grocery store. Cheap and very effective.

Interesting.I have used this in my house septic for 37 years but I did not realize it killed the black tank odours we get from time to time in a RV

MrWizard
50 gal grey 40gal black, 100gal fresh
and i have rinse/flush thingy in the black tank
so i close the valve put in some water, then dump it again
always rinse till its clean (not sterile , just no more brown coming out)

thats why its NOT a 10 minute process for us

we mainly dry camp, and we go long enough to make 'treatment' mandatory

currently using happy camper
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper all the way. Best I have found.

We can go for about a week before we need dumping. 55 gallon grey and 45 black tank.

That reminds me I have to reorder Happy Camper. We were up in the Pacific North west the last three months and I had to buy some other brand. Not sure how it is going to work. It is called TST by Camco. But it works as good as Happy Camper I will let you guys know.

I get Happy Camper through the internet.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We have tried various treatments and Happy Camper has worked best for us. We also like being able to use it in both the grey and black tanks.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Some have said here, they can go for days between dumps. The length of time between dumps really depends upon 2 things: (1) The size of your tanks, and (2) Your usage.

Of course, the smaller the tanks, the more often they have to be dumped. I have 3 tanks, 2 gray and 1 black. All 3 are 30 gallons. We do not use campground bath-shower houses at all. I have found, we can go 2 days (comfortably) on one tank of fresh water (42 gallons) and dump all three tanks every other day.

If doing so every other day, the tanks are never completely full, and if we do not have sewer hook-up, I can dump all 3 tanks and not overfill my 32 gallon Barker Blue Tote. By virtue of having to dump at least every other day, there's really no time for odors to form.

I do one other trick (all the time) when draining my tanks. I always drain the black tank first, then back-flush the shower grey water into the black tank and then dump the black tank again. Only the shower grey water drain is "T-ed" into the black drain. I can usually do this 2 or 3 times before the grey water is pretty much used up, and not enough to push itself back into the black tank. (depends upon how many showers we've taken). Each time the "back flush" occurs, more "nasties" are pulled out of the black tank. I have a clear section (Flush King) with the 3rd valve to make back flushing possible and can also see what's really coming out of the tank.

For those who never use a clear section attached to your dump valves, and have never attempted a back-flush, if you did, I think you'll be really surprised how much "nasties" are left behind after only a single dump. It's THIS accumulation which remains in the tank, over time, the really begins to smell.

If you get rid of "it" all to begin with, there's really no smells.

I'm a firm believer in using the grey water to back-flush into the black tank. It re-purposes the grey water, cleans the tank, and prevents using fresh water to rinse your tanks so much (especially in areas where water is scarce and precious). It just makes better sense to re-use shower water this way.

If I follow this procedure, my 32 gallon Barker Blue Tote never overfills, spilling "poo" on the ground and tanks don't smell.

Here again, the size of your tanks and the way you use your camper will determine how often you dump. How you dump will determine how clean in the inside of your tanks are. How clean the inside of your tanks are will drive what kind of additional "additives" you'll need for the tanks. This is way, simple dishwashing liquid and a bit of bleach every now and then, with clean water in the tanks and a road trip to slosh it all around is about all that's really needed to keep the tanks fresh.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Blue Thetford. Kills bugs dead. I only dump once a trip at the end.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
30 years, all I've ever used is septic tank treatment, currently using septonic, but septic tank treatment stuff is available in every grocery store. Cheap and very effective.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
over the many years of camping and putting just about every make of additive they make I have settled on Happy Camper. this stuff works, no overpowering perfume smells and the happy camper gets rid of the black tank odors. it also works in the grey tank also. the grey tank can smell like mad on certain days too. I will not use anything
other than happy camper now

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
TankTechsRX seems to work very well. Actually in the middle of an experiment. 3 days of use, two weeks ago, didn't dump. Very slight odor at this point if I flush. Will be using for next several trips to make sure. Definitely better than anything else I've tried.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)